2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5 non sky
682 Posts
Honda Civic Type R can do 5.0sec 0-60, I think it's the fastest for FWD
True .. they can close . 306 HP but shes a heavy lady that Honda and id like to see how that weight (3123 lbs) & size can do at an autocross event.
I have seen some at the track over heat if they went out too long with 1st Gen OEM turbo set up ( not sure if they solved that with 2nd Gen).
They cannot go out lap after lap at max throttle. Same with many turbo set ups ... a proper intercooler upgrade needed.
Thats why i like the supercharger ... although you lose some HP (maybe 15-20) compressing overheating is not an issue
compared to turbo heat ....

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
dont know how accurate those numbers are.
i see ~5.5s on other forums/published by honda, depending on the tires.
That makes sense, FWD is so traction limited at launch with so much weight shift to the rear tires. Stiffer springs / dampers reduces the effect, but only so much.
I think anything less than 5.5sec in any FWD is going to really depend tires and surface (traction)...

·
Registered
682 Posts
dont know how accurate those numbers are.
i see ~5.5s on other forums/published by honda, depending on the tires.
Thats more realistic !
My local go to Tuner one of his mechanics has one tuned to 400 HP stock engine.
That makes sense, FWD is so traction limited at launch with so much weight shift to the rear tires. Stiffer springs / dampers reduces the effect, but only so much.
I think anything less than 5.5sec in any FWD is going to really depend tires and surface (traction)...
So true ...
My rear dampening is stiffer that fronts (5-6 settings more)
Also changing front ride height down and rear a touch up coupled with altering camber & toe will help that too ..
But ... all the cars weight is already on the traction wheels ...
So the trick in launching is not to lauch full tilt and shift weight to rear sharply
but a slow gradual application of power (like a slow running start with traction control off)
and then let it rip and you have to have grippy tires too ...

Reactions: WoodinvilleDan

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Found this on youtube when I was snooping, the supercharger on a CX-5, it's short and very not English :)
and yes this is the company am working with.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Found this on youtube when I was snooping, the supercharger on a CX-5, it's short and very not English :)
and yes this is the company am working with.
The ArnoT twin scroll kinda looks like the Edelbrook supercharger for the miata : Edelbrock Stage 1 Supercharger #1554 For 2016-18 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2.0L W/ Tune Where it is a Eaton Gen VI R900 TVS rotor assembly inside : TVS technologies | Air flow | Peak engine power | Eaton ... possibly sourced from eaton or edelbrook or local chinese copy ... Quite possible chinese company puts it together edelbrook ....
Kraftwerk uses the rotex compressor which is more compact system vs the Eaton twin screws.

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The ArnoT twin scroll kinda looks like the Edelbrook supercharger for the miata : Edelbrock Stage 1 Supercharger #1554 For 2016-18 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2.0L W/ Tune Where it is a Eaton Gen VI R900 TVS rotor assembly inside : TVS technologies | Air flow | Peak engine power | Eaton ... possibly sourced from eaton or edelbrook or local chinese copy ... Quite possible chinese company puts it together edelbrook ....
Kraftwerk uses the rotex compressor which is more compact system vs the Eaton twin screws.
researching more it looks like their kits are based on 3 superchargers that are all twin-screw (unlike the Edelbrock which was roots type):
VT1-- 0.9L/rev, 20k rpm max, 2.0-3.0L engines, 160-220KW (215-295HP)
VT2-- 0.73L/rev, 16k rpm max, 1.5-2.4L engines, 105-150KW
VT3-- 0.34/rev, 24k rpm max, 0.8L-1.2L engines, 60-100kw
1616108013079.png

Click this link and scroll to the bottom, obviously mostly it's in Chinese, some bits of English and numbers

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think @arathol mentioned porting in a past thread that this would change the torque curve on the skyactiv since the headers and heads have been engineered for high torque 1- 4K rpm.
Had Matt at OVT stuck with tuning mazda's we would probably have had possibly OVT cams / headers and other boosted applications for the skyactiv engine and even FI supercharger tune for the mazdaedit plarform.
OVT did in the past sold intake/exhaust cams as well as headers for the skyactiv 2.5.

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Following to see how this build goes. What gas are you planning to run.
premium only (92 octane in WA, @Cdn17Sport6MT).

If I need to I'll add some Boostane, but plan to complete the tune on just premium without any Boostane or other octane additive.

originally thought I might add Water/Meth injection, but for now I think it's too much additional complexity. First I just want to get the supercherger in my hands and get the engine running with it on there (it's entirely possible that I may later add water/meth injection and get re-tuned with more aggressive timing to push more power ;))

·
Registered
836 Posts
More power, mebe later... but I think the issue will be keeping matters safe with that high CR... and not having to dump tons of fuel in.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Not exactly they were selling cams both for 2.0 and 2.5. I ordered a set but they never came through. Either way they are out of production now...
There are few places that sell cams for the 2.0&2.5 non sky and for the sky

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
More power, mebe later... but I think the issue will be keeping matters safe with that high CR... and not having to dump tons of fuel in.
One of the main contributors to combustion chamber temperature is left over exhaust that doesn't get fully evacuated (that's why Mazda spent so much money to develop our fantastic tri-y headers, to maximize scavenging to pull more heat out)
In this case I am doing nothing to impede that, unlike a turbo. Actually my high flow cat and Thrush turbo muffler flow way better than stock.

Point is, I don't think it'll need much of any excess fuel for cooling - supers are less heat, and we're low boost (high boost would be impossible because of the CR).

Note* I'm planning to add an oil cooler to help manage heat, even though it's less heat than other FI it's still FI 😁
(ND Miata uses the same oil filter as ours, so I'm gonna get a thermostatic Moshimoto kit)

·
Registered
836 Posts
Would Redline water-wetter help? What about pure water coolant, respecting ambient temp of course, with the appropriate corr inhibitors + wtr pump lubricant?

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
One of the main contributors to combustion chamber temperature is left over exhaust that doesn't get fully evacuated (that's why Mazda spent so much money to develop our fantastic tri-y headers, to maximize scavenging to pull more heat out)
In this case I am doing nothing to impede that, unlike a turbo. Actually my high flow cat and Thrush turbo muffler flow way better than stock.

Point is, I don't think it'll need much of any excess fuel for cooling - supers are less heat, and we're low boost (high boost would be impossible because of the CR).

Note* I'm planning to add an oil cooler to help manage heat, even though it's less heat than other FI it's still FI 😁
(ND Miata uses the same oil filter as ours, so I'm gonna get a thermostatic Moshimoto kit)
Any time you compress air there's going to be heat. That being said, you're not compressing a lot so it'll be a question of what the engine's tolerance is for the added heat in the intake. At the very worst, I'd think an intercooler should be more than enough. I mean shit air intercoolers work fine for high boost turbos if done right.

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Would Redline water-wetter help? What about pure water coolant, respecting ambient temp of course, with the appropriate corr inhibitors + wtr pump lubricant?
That's a really good idea, both redline and Lubegard have coolant additives shown to reduce coolant tempts.
Obviously once the super is on there I'll be driving with my Torque app showing coolant and transmission Temps like all the time to start with, and every time I'm on track. Be data driven about whether or not heat is an issue.
Also thinking it would be great to add oil pressure and temperature gauges when adding the oil cooler...

21 - 40 of 123 Posts