2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
361 - 380 of 393 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,336 Posts
That doesn't make sense really. The numbers for oil temp don't follow any of the coolant temps that the ECU reports, and there is more than one reported. The PID for oil temp will go way above any sort of normal coolant temps if you push the engine hard as in on the track. Miata owners who do so have reported calculated temps in the 240° range. The PID is from what I have been told is a calculation derived from several sources including load, rpm, coolant temp and a couple others.

·
Registered
856 Posts
So the Mazda PID as displayed on the ScanGauge is not the actual oil temperature but a calculated estimate based on several things such as load, coolant temp etc.

Wouldn't an actual oil temperature gauge with a sensor in an oil filter sandwich plate be a more authentic way to monitor oil temperatures?

I'm planning to get the oil filter plate and begin monitoring oil temperatures and pressures via the supplied ports.

·
Super Moderator
7,336 Posts
Yeah it would but Mazda seems to think that things such as oil temp and pressure gauges are extraneous and only lead to complaints from buyers who don't understand how they work or how to read them. This started in the early 1990s when the Miata actually had an oil pressure gauge. It moved around a lot depending on rpm, and there were a ton of owners who had no idea what oil pressure was or how it worked, resulting in many unnecessary dealer visits (the needle should be here but sometimes it goes here and sometimes its down there. I think something is broken.....) . The real gauge soon turned to a "fake" gauge that was no more than a glorified idiot light (pressure vs no pressure, needle doesn't move), now there are no gauges at all.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Yeah it would but Mazda seems to think that things such as oil temp and pressure gauges are extraneous and only lead to complaints from buyers who don't understand how they work or how to read them. This started in the early 1990s when the Miata actually had an oil pressure gauge. It moved around a lot depending on rpm, and there were a ton of owners who had no idea what oil pressure was or how it worked, resulting in many unnecessary dealer visits (the needle should be here but sometimes it goes here and sometimes its down there. I think something is broken.....) . The real gauge soon turned to a "fake" gauge that was no more than a glorified idiot light (pressure vs no pressure, needle doesn't move), now there are no gauges at all.
Not just Mazda...hehe. Our ignorance, their bliss.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is it just me or is the cost of the kit on the hush hush? I’ve seen a lot of talk about contacting them and ~20% down and using credit cards is a bad idea because the cash advance being a different payment portal. I have BBRgti cams I’m about to drop in my “14 Mazda 3 mt and really would like to boost my car and use BBR’s forged internals but not if the kit is $15,000.

Edit: in regards to the VT SC

·
Super Moderator
7,336 Posts
Is it just me or is the cost of the kit on the hush hush? I’ve seen a lot of talk about contacting them and ~20% down and using credit cards is a bad idea because the cash advance being a different payment portal. I have BBRgti cams I’m about to drop in my “14 Mazda 3 mt and really would like to boost my car and use BBR’s forged internals but not if the kit is $15,000.

Edit: in regards to the VT SC
LOL ......Didn't bother to read the first post in this thread I guess.......
The twin-screw supercharger Kit:
  • Primary unit takes the place of the stock intake manifold.
  • Integrated air-water intercooler, with extra radiator that will be added in front of existing one.
  • boost psi is only 4 psi below 4000 RPM, then rises with revs, momentarily hitting 7psi right at red-line, so peak power is at red-line
  • Power: Claimed 241hp at the wheels from completely stock CX5 from their v1 of the kit
  • Tuning - included as part of the package VT-Racing remote tunes for the super (very much like OVTune/DRTune, but slightly different software)
  • Cost: $4k + shipping for the kit, plus spark plugs and other optional upgrades, my setup was a little over $5k
    • 2.0 and 2.5 kit both cost the same, and look mostly the same except the 2.0 kit has a longer looking neck because the compressor is smaller
  • To get the kit you can contact IG: JiasuSupercharger
    • or ping me on IG: M6Ninja, I can connect you with a contact from VT-Racing

·
Banned
187 Posts
Mazda already have a supercharged M3 in production andits sold in Great Britain. It the Skyactive X , classed as a spark assisted compression ignition engine, whiche means it has a cr of 19:1 it has the torque and fuel economy of a diesel and the emissions of a petrol ( ie no NOx), but I am not sure about CO2. The starter motor also acts as the alternator and an electrical assist motor when you need extra acceleration and as a regenerative brake hen required. Though it must go through belts pretty fast. So your supercharged M3 will not be the first, Mazda beat you to it. Now try doing it to a M6 and you may be first.
There is acompany down the road from me that shoehorns a v8 Jaguar into a MX5, now that must be something to drive if you could only stop the wheels from spinning.
In the video it mentions 35 mpg, I have just driven 250 miles sat on 70 mph and achieved 56.5 mpg.

·
Super Moderator
7,336 Posts
Mazda already have a supercharged M3 in production andits sold in Great Britain. It the Skyactive X , classed as a spark assisted compression ignition engine, whiche means it has a cr of 19:1 it has the torque and fuel economy of a diesel and the emissions of a petrol ( ie no NOx), but I am not sure about CO2. The starter motor also acts as the alternator and an electrical assist motor when you need extra acceleration and as a regenerative brake hen required. Though it must go through belts pretty fast. So your supercharged M3 will not be the first, Mazda beat you to it. Now try doing it to a M6 and you may be first.
There is acompany down the road from me that shoehorns a v8 Jaguar into a MX5, now that must be something to drive if you could only stop the wheels from spinning.
In the video it mentions 35 mpg, I have just driven 250 miles sat on 70 mph and achieved 56.5 mpg.
Thats not at all how it works.....
The SA-X is not supercharged. There have been many discussions here on how it works so I'm not doing the whole thing once again. In short what looks like a supercharger is called a high response air supply or lean supercharger. Its purpose is to keep the air / fuel mix lean enough for proper lean burn operation at all times and to introduce a swirl into the combustion chamber to promote combustion at light loads when compression ignition is being used. No forced induction.

Dave Coleman explains it about 5 minutes in -

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #373 ·
Sorry been MIA from here for a while, just updated the OP with status and better links, and guide that a few of use made.

And the Skyactiv-X is a totally different compression ignition technology that is likely the most fuel efficient non-hybrid there is, so it will obviously get better mileage than my super 2.5L :)

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5 non sky
1,347 Posts
Hey Hi ..its been a while

Any winter upgrades ?

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5 non sky
1,347 Posts
Cool Stuff !!
Btw ... are you looking forward to Matt's return to Mazda tuning (with a VF for mazda) and possibly what he maybe able to unleash from your supercharged set up?

361 - 380 of 393 Posts