2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
341 - 360 of 393 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well VT racing said that my kit will be ready to ship by Monday their time, Sunday our time. Abou284 how has the S/C been now? Any issues daily driving it? Have you updated the tune?
It's been great! I'm currently on revision 3 of the tune, it's driving really well though. The only issues I've had since install were loose fittings on the oil cooler, but that was unrelated to the supercharger.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Good to hear. I'm excited to finally get back into the hobby and I have been wanting FI for while. Life gets in the way. How many miles do you have on your car. I'm pushing about 80K now. Mainly driving highway between states.
It's at around 65k now! This car has been so good to me, even now the only problems it's having are things I have personally messed up!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm 6mt so we will see how the trans will hold. I know spec makes a clutch for this car but it's about $600+ for a stage 2. I won't beat on the car until I have the final tune and feel comfortable pushing. Luckily transmissions for these cars are not that expensive because no one's really breaking them. Mainly from what I've seen people just don't know how to drive a manual.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'm 6mt so we will see how the trans will hold. I know spec makes a clutch for this car but it's about $600+ for a stage 2. I won't beat on the car until I have the final tune and feel comfortable pushing. Luckily transmissions for these cars are not that expensive because no one's really breaking them. Mainly from what I've seen people just don't know how to drive a manual.
I see. I have the 6mt but oddly sometime it feel weak, if I do the SC soon, I hope it survives at least a couple of months. I’m at roughly 70k miles

·
Registered
102 Posts
So I have Redline MT transmission fluid and I will say I feel it has better protection regarding lubrication. I feel confident it maybe a clutch limitation before the transmission possibly. Only because I don't plan on launching this thing like a drag car.

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #350 ·
@WoodinvilleDan would you mind posting a few pics of your oil catch can step up. I bought this one Amazon.com: PQY Oil Catch Can Baffled 2 Port Oil Catch Tank Kit Universal Air Oil Separator: Automotive
I feel this maybe too small for the S/C application. It's about 5oz capacity. Thanks in advance.
The one I got was a little higher capacity (8oz I think), but that one looks fine, there's really very little fluid produced. I'm at 1500+ miles since install (with two days at the race track) and there's probably only an ounce or two of fluid thus far).

·
Registered
'19 Premium Hatch, 6MT
6 Posts
yesterday, picking up a '19 3 hatch: I'm not gonna mod this one for a long time, she's fine the way she is
today, having just watched the curvy road drive video: ok just one mod, obviously this supercharger is required. then I'm done 😇

That supercharger whine must be a little hit of serotonin every time you put your foot down 🧑🏼‍🍳🤌🏼

·
Registered
102 Posts
So the kit will be here tomorrow. I am very excited to start this project. I will be taking some pictures of the progress and video. One of the main things I will document is the intake valves. I think there is some confusion on carbon build up with little visual proof. My motor has 80k on it and has been ovt tuned the majority. I got the car with less than 10k in 2016. I'm only doing a oil catch can, no cooler. I probably won't race this just yet cause it is my daily and this is only the 2nd 2.0L in the US(that I know of). I will start a new thread to document the project. Don't want to clutter Dan's.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
So the kit will be here tomorrow. I am very excited to start this project. I will be taking some pictures of the progress and video. One of the main things I will document is the intake valves. I think there is some confusion on carbon build up with little visual proof. My motor has 80k on it and has been ovt tuned the majority. I got the car with less than 10k in 2016. I'm only doing a oil catch can, no cooler. I probably won't race this just yet cause it is my daily and this is only the 2nd 2.0L in the US(that I know of). I will start a new thread to document the project. Don't want to clutter Dan's.
From my humble experience you will see some carbon buildup. I think you'd be foolish not to clean it while you're there. At the same time my experience has been that the buildup isn't huge and doesn't seem to affect performance or fuel economy. Keep in mind that this is speaking from a stock 2.0L. the additional airflow with the supercharger could have an effect.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yea I do plan on cleaning the valves while the intake is off. Curious to see what the build up is with a Ovt tune. I don't believe it will be very different but good for future enthusiast.

·
Registered
856 Posts
This is the X gauge coding for engine oil temperature-

Engine Oil Temperature
TXD 07E0221310
RXF 046245130610
RXD 3010
MTH 00090005F060
NAME EOT (Degrees F)
Arathol, this is an old post, but I recently ran into a discussion on a Miata forum relative to the Oil Temperature PID on Skyactiv Miatas. I though you might be interested in them. Here are the quotes from that forum:

"The Miata PID named Oil Temperature has nothing to do with oil temperature apart from its name. The name should be Engine Coolant Temperature #2. IIRC, it has been suggested that it reports the temperature of a sensor in the return coolant line from radiator to engine. Yep, the name of this PID is misleading. The data it reports is not actual oil temperature, nor an algorithmically derived estimate of oil temperature; instead, it's the temperature of the coolant at a particular place in the coolant circuit. This is my understanding."

"Correct. There was a misleading PID logging with the SkyActiv: it's a secondary ECT, not oil temp. The only confirmed oil temp data is obtained with an independent gauge."

341 - 360 of 393 Posts