2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

181 - 200 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
From what i have read about twin screw superchargers ... i still think your kit has a USA made component unit rebranded VT similar to the edelbrock unit which has a max boost of 8.25 psi ...
Oh ya, after looking those up they look pretty similar, maybe, for some reason I thought the edelbrock supers were Roots but I guess not, interesting.

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
BTW ..didnt your flag say you were in the USA now a CDN flag
I don't even now where that's set, weird, no I live in western Washington (not far from Canada LOL), I'll try to figure out where to change that.
Apparently my location was blank in my profile, not sure why it changed flags?
I just updated it to WA

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5 non sky
732 Posts
Hey could you let them know that this joke isn't funny anymore?
Haha ...chasing the dream !
Grassroots performance does custom supercharger installs.
Asked then to quote Kraftwerk Supercharger kit (MX5 2.0l non sky version extra 80whp)) to fit 2012 Mazda 3.

Plus... Im still waiting for my engine rebuild ... waiting on the K1 piston Rods.
Also did another little upgrade while they were flow porting the head.
Went with larger & lighter intake valves +1mm which should pick a few more HP
hopefully 10 and make her breath better & spin higher. 8500 no issues before the +1mm.

·
Super Moderator
6,297 Posts
Apparently my location was blank in my profile, not sure why it changed flags?
I just updated it to WA
You might want to check your personal stuff and with your service provider for identity theft. Somebody using your forum profile is apparently using an IP generator, not sure why. In the past couple weeks you have not only been posting from Washington but Ontario Canada, Maryland, Kansas, Morocco, UAE, Pakistan and other places....

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
You might want to check your personal stuff and with your service provider for identity theft. Somebody using your forum profile is apparently using an IP generator, not sure why. In the past couple weeks you have not only been posting from Washington but Ontario Canada, Maryland, Kansas, Morocco, UAE, Pakistan and other places....
Thanks for the heads up, I just reset to use a much more complex password (was using very simple password for this forum) and enabled two step verification!

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
Interested in seeing a race against a ‘21 M3 turbo.
It depends on the race, if it's 0-60 I'll lose because I don't have power to the rear wheels, BUT a 10-60 or 20-80 I'll probably win with more horsepower and breadth of power band.

·
*The Electrician*
962 Posts
It depends on the race, if it's 0-60 I'll lose because I don't have power to the rear wheels, BUT a 10-60 or 20-80 I'll probably win with more horsepower and breadth of power band.
I think you would still win 0-60

·
Registered
732 Posts
Reactions: WoodinvilleDan

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
Outstanding, Dan!

Looking forward to seeing results from acceleration timing runs, dyno HP and TQ reports, etc.

Let's see some braggin' around here :)
I didn't do any virtual dyno work, as that seems iffy, but pretty pleased with these times
5.7sec 0-60
and the 1/4m is a little slow cause I let off the gas a little, need to do it in a better spot to get the proper times for that.

ALSO, I'm getting 36mpg on the freeway and 26mpg in town

·
Registered
732 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 ·
WoodinvilleDan,
I just watched the autocross video on my TV. Your driving is very good,and the car pulls very nicely from low rpm. it sounds great! Kudos for taking the lead on this project, and thanks for posting all the videos and descriptions along the way.
Thanks!

Interestingly after installing the 'throttle booster' I think I could go a full second faster than I did in that video, it's just that much faster to accelerate, it's really crazy, it honestly feels like a 2016 S4 I got to drive!

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 ·
Also, wanted to update everyone, a person has officially ordered the 2.0L supercharger kit to be mounted with manual transmission.
Will update once he gets it installed.

·
Super Moderator
6,297 Posts
Dan, did the individual get some definitive and believable answer re the torque rating on the Skyactiv-MT 'box?
I hope its better than the Skyactiv 6MT used in the ND. Seems they don't last long once you get upwards of 250whp, and the ND1 transmissions have experienced a pretty high failure rate with stock motors.....

·
Registered
868 Posts
Unfortunately, from a strength perspective, the attached graphic about Skyactiv-MT does not bode well, at least for me. I know (and can feel) that the following is true:
i) the synchromesh dog-teeth are numerous (if you "buzz" a gear by mistake, you can clearly hear this); this is also described, in an inaccurate way, in the attached graphic. What they are trying to say is that the dog-teeth are "small-module" (or possibly "low-module"), which in gear mfg terms means the teeth are small and numerous. In this case they are referring to the dog-teeth, not the gear teeth. "Module" is a term used in metric gear mfg... in essence, pitch diameter of a gear (in mm) divided by the number of teeth. Low- or small-module gears, then, have numerous small teeth for the given diameter.

My point in saying this, sorry to bore you all, is that the dog-teeth are small, dimensionally, delicate, and not "rough 'n tumble" / robust.

ii) the axial engagement of the synchro sleeves over the speed-gear synchro dog-teeth, is axially "meager". Not a lot of engagement. This was done to attempt to lessen the shift-throw. So, the chances of "Sproinging" out of gear are somewhat larger... with these small, delicate dog-teeth, not much engaged axially. You can actually feel it. This C66M-R transaxle, if you muff a shift and do not fully stroke the gear lever to its engaged position, you can "sproing" it out of gear. I have not muffed it much, and certainly not under high torque conditions... but I HAVE done it, say, twice, and it feels noticeably easier to do than the S-51 (if memory serves re the model number) in my Camry (an Aisin transaxle).

These two "features" do not bode well for extracting more power and torque out of the engine... and being able to put that power / torque to the ground (i.e. meaning, through a transaxle that LASTS).

Finally, with the excerpt I have included... they talk about substantial component size reduction..., mass reduction.

Weak-minded, I say to you! Not robust. Designed to a very fine limit.

I am guessing with these last few comments... but this is my feeling... Not super duper strong...

Attachments

181 - 200 of 236 Posts