2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am on a quest...To transform a great car into my dream car.
to supercharge the Skyactiv 2.5L. I want the peak power of the 2.5T with the broad power band of the 2.5L.
Goal: To be on par with e46 M3 or Civic Type R. (and way faster than the Skyactiv 2.5T: less torque, more horsepower).
I initially thought I would pursue cobbling together my own kit (Considering Supercharger on Skyactiv)
But am now pursuing VT-Racing, Chinese company, twin-screw supercharger for 2.0L or 2.5L Skyactiv engines (launched in early 2019 in China).

I've been in regular contact with the company since Jan 2021. Mine is the first supercharged Skyactiv 4-door in the world, outside China, a pioneer :cool: (both scary and cool)

UPDATE 4/2022 - 1 YEAR, 11,000 miles, multiple AutoX racing events, lots of hard driving and daily commute, everything is great, still amazed at the mpg, same 35-36 freeway, -1-4 in-town

Started FB group: "Skyactiv-G Super/Turbo Community" (if you're going to do this, come join us, currently 4 of us running the supercharger, 3 others awaiting delivery)

Skyactiv Supercharging Guide
Supercharging at a glance summary:
Cost - $4,500usd (kit, S&H, spark plugs), $5k+ depending on extras.
Purchasing - No proper international store front, have to work around that...
Purchasing Contact - IG: Jiasusupercharger, WhatsApp:+86 131 2935-1806 (*note: old number no longer valid)
Tuning - Provided as part of the kit, but it is a conservative tune. DrTuned is now partnering with one of the early adopters, and will be officially supporting tuning for the Supercharger kit.
Power - 250-270whp+ (old kit on stock cx5 dyno’d at 243whp), there’s possibility of smaller pulley to increase boost, or cams/etc., in the future…
Feeling - Way faster than that power number sounds like. Instant power at every RPM that builds more and more power all the way to redline. There’s always boost when needed, pushing 40% more air!
Efficiency - On the freeway, no loss in MPG, in-town generally -1-4mpg depending on how heavy your foot is (when not pushing it, can get as good MPG as N/A motor).

____
UPDATE 7/12 - 2 months & 1400 miles with the supercharger and it has been great, exceeded my expectations! Super fuel efficient and "ENOUGH" power (5.7sec 0-60)
for more info read on in this thread or check out my YT channel

___
UPDATE 4/25 - SUPERCHARGER IS INSTALLED AND RUNNING!
It feels great on the road, with a lovely "zingy" sound when on the throttle, but when idling or cruising it almost sounds stock (300HP crank, 250HP 2.0). Power just builds and builds as the RPM goes up with peak HP at red-line.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design

__

Complimentary PARTS
1. Spark Plugs (required) - need to run colder heat range, found NGKs that are slightly smaller gap (.31" vs .44") and one step colder heat range (8 vs 7)
These are actually OE on Nissan GTR ;)
2. Oil Cooler (recommended) - adding 40% more air and 60% more power means more heat, adding thermostatic oil cooler should help longevity. This kit is made for an ND Miata so the oil filter plate will fit fine, and was able to use one of the brackets to leverage intercooler mounting point.
3. Oil Catch Can - adding forced induction will likely increase blow by and I want to keep the twin screws clean for a long life.
4. Liquid Chill - coolant additive proven to modify surface tension/conductivity characteristics of liquid to increase cooling capacity, drop temps by 25f
5. Boost gauge and Oil Pressure/temp gauges - To have better visibility of what's happening when I'm pushing the car on track or any time. I found a two in one gauge for oil pressure and temperature, plus matching boost gauge. Both are digital so even though the boost will only go up to 6psi I can see exactly where it's at.
Oil Pressure/Temperature Gauge Kit
Digital Boost Gauge Kit
6. Antigravity ATX30-RS 5.5lb, 880CA Battery - to help compensate for the additional weight of the supercharger kit (40-80lbs) switching to ultra light battery can drop 30lbs to help offset. Antigravity also has a bluetooth battery tracker that I was going to install to keep tabs on the health of the battery.
____

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really do wish you the best of luck with this one. Would be awesome if this works out.

However, if you blow your engine I demand that you change your screen name to Icarus
Haha, that would fit in that case. Though I'm trying to fly at a reasonable height 😁

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't wait to hear how this goes. I have to say that the $/hp ratio is a little unappealing to me, but I'm cheap. I don't really mod my cars much because it makes you upside down on your car (more $$$ into it that it's worth), and you might very well have made a reliable car into a basket case. If you're okay with both of those problems, have at it. I will stay mostly stock, and be greatly entertained by your Chinese Experiment, win or lose.

Keep us posted.
Hmmm, for me this is a passion not an investment... I want to drive something special/unique , that represents me, and gonna keep this car for a LONG time...

On paper the hp/$ isn't as good as some cars, but Mazdas true speed is always under represented by just peak Hp...

What I'm interested in is how fast it is in the real world, if I can get to a 5.6sec 0-60 and <13.7s 1/4 mi, then it will feel quick enough for me to be very happy!
I doubt I'll ever get it dyno'd, but I probably will take it to a drag strip to see what official times I Can pull down (and I regularly attend AutoX racing events, where the zero lag boost of the super should be very fun!)

*for reference i'm already at 6.3s 0-60 and 14.7s 1/4 mi (according to Torque app) , so the above numbers seem like a conservative estimate for another 20% power gain over how high I already am.

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
what's the claimed torque?
i wonder how the transmission will take it.
it takes the 310ftlb from the diesel just fine. but how overbuilt is it?
Claimed torque gain +30%, at basically any rpm, peaking around 270lb/ft at the crank

Claimed HP gain +40%, peaking at red line around 300HP at the crank

So the transmission should be fine.

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
are there any fwd cars that can get <5s?
FWD is traction limited particularly from 0, so it'd be VERY hard to get <5s. BUT in any kind of rolling situation (e.g. 5-60, 20-80, AutoX) you can be competative with a car that has <5s 0-60 (having power to the rear wheels makes a huge difference at launch).

Reactions: dd18

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Totally understand !
I m in the same boat , want to do something unique with my 2012 2.0L . I have a car with very good bones and investing in it and feel the same way. Getting her below 5 sec
is a fun car all around. ( doing a dyno rod bearing let go at 162whp .. should have could have redlined at 170whp ). Not bad for NA engine. Engine re build goals... porting the heads which should add 10 or more (local cost $600 cdn) something you should consider , but i think skyactiv may have maximized this already! Increasing compression to 12:1 (maybe) with lighter internals, stiffer valve springs & increasing redline ( 8000+, depends on balancing the crank shaft) . Theoretically looking at 20 + whp .

I know DR Tuned has a how to turbo your car , have you reached out to them about their insights on supercharged sky engines ?
That's very cool @JoeMini full NA power and that 2L mzr is a fun little engine that likes to rev :)

I have running threads with both DR Tuned and OVTune
  • DRT - he doesn't know of anyone that has FI Skyactiv, but said he can help tune it if I get it working. He said most people don't bother because at that high compression you can't go much above 6psi, so people building forced induction focus more on platforms where they can get over 10psi boost...
  • OVT - He actually helped do some research, and told me I should let VT-Racing tune the car, that they know how to.
Porting heads: not in the plans right now, but it's an interesting thought

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
updated the OP with a little more content about Power

Also, just got confirmation that the kit I'm getting will be their latest revision: with supports to install the stock engine cover
(Note: I am getting black version to go with my car, but this red is their other color option)
Hood Automotive fuel system Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

Awaiting estimates for fabrication/shipping time, and they are making me a "warranty document" using pictures they had me take of my car/engine/VIN placard.

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
dont know how accurate those numbers are.
i see ~5.5s on other forums/published by honda, depending on the tires.
That makes sense, FWD is so traction limited at launch with so much weight shift to the rear tires. Stiffer springs / dampers reduces the effect, but only so much.
I think anything less than 5.5sec in any FWD is going to really depend tires and surface (traction)...

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The ArnoT twin scroll kinda looks like the Edelbrook supercharger for the miata : Edelbrock Stage 1 Supercharger #1554 For 2016-18 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2.0L W/ Tune Where it is a Eaton Gen VI R900 TVS rotor assembly inside : TVS technologies | Air flow | Peak engine power | Eaton ... possibly sourced from eaton or edelbrook or local chinese copy ... Quite possible chinese company puts it together edelbrook ....
Kraftwerk uses the rotex compressor which is more compact system vs the Eaton twin screws.
researching more it looks like their kits are based on 3 superchargers that are all twin-screw (unlike the Edelbrock which was roots type):
VT1-- 0.9L/rev, 20k rpm max, 2.0-3.0L engines, 160-220KW (215-295HP)
VT2-- 0.73L/rev, 16k rpm max, 1.5-2.4L engines, 105-150KW
VT3-- 0.34/rev, 24k rpm max, 0.8L-1.2L engines, 60-100kw
Hand Light Product Black Automotive lighting

Click this link and scroll to the bottom, obviously mostly it's in Chinese, some bits of English and numbers

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Following to see how this build goes. What gas are you planning to run.
premium only (92 octane in WA, @Cdn17Sport6MT).

If I need to I'll add some Boostane, but plan to complete the tune on just premium without any Boostane or other octane additive.

originally thought I might add Water/Meth injection, but for now I think it's too much additional complexity. First I just want to get the supercherger in my hands and get the engine running with it on there (it's entirely possible that I may later add water/meth injection and get re-tuned with more aggressive timing to push more power ;))

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
More power, mebe later... but I think the issue will be keeping matters safe with that high CR... and not having to dump tons of fuel in.
One of the main contributors to combustion chamber temperature is left over exhaust that doesn't get fully evacuated (that's why Mazda spent so much money to develop our fantastic tri-y headers, to maximize scavenging to pull more heat out)
In this case I am doing nothing to impede that, unlike a turbo. Actually my high flow cat and Thrush turbo muffler flow way better than stock.

Point is, I don't think it'll need much of any excess fuel for cooling - supers are less heat, and we're low boost (high boost would be impossible because of the CR).

Note* I'm planning to add an oil cooler to help manage heat, even though it's less heat than other FI it's still FI 😁
(ND Miata uses the same oil filter as ours, so I'm gonna get a thermostatic Moshimoto kit)

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Would Redline water-wetter help? What about pure water coolant, respecting ambient temp of course, with the appropriate corr inhibitors + wtr pump lubricant?
That's a really good idea, both redline and Lubegard have coolant additives shown to reduce coolant tempts.
Obviously once the super is on there I'll be driving with my Torque app showing coolant and transmission Temps like all the time to start with, and every time I'm on track. Be data driven about whether or not heat is an issue.
Also thinking it would be great to add oil pressure and temperature gauges when adding the oil cooler...

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
That's awesome @JoeMini - Mishimot Liquid Chill is now on the list!

I asked for some close up pictures of the supercharger assembly, wish it was already here! :)
They're calling it their second-generation of Mazda kits "more texture and more power" LOL (I think this is their second big run of manufacturing the Mazda kits so it includes some subtle improvements...)

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design
Train Motor vehicle Automotive design Gas Automotive wheel system
Automotive design Wheel Motor vehicle Gas Machine
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system

Also, confirmed they have basically the same kit, sized down for the 2.0L Skyactiv (notice the long neck on the smaller supercharger:))
Automotive tire Grille Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Supposedly my kit is on its way to an intermediate location where it will then be shipped to the US. Current estimate is 2 weeks out (~4/20), assuming it arrives as planned I will likely do the install the weekend of 4/24 or 5/1, getting excited/nervous

They shared the install instructions, and though they are not translated yet, there are so many pictures I think I could almost figure it out as is :)
Looks legitimate and makes me feel more confident about this, they clearly have done this before...

a screenshot of a representative page:
Photograph Tire White Automotive tire Light

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Updated original post with details of accompanying parts list...

Still waiting for tracking number, once I have that it's expected to only take 5 days to get here, but it may be another couple weeks before that happens, depending on customs and stuff. Obviously I'll update this thread once I hear anything.

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Looking forward to seeing the results. I'm also kinda hoping it adds a good amount of Supercharger whine. Not a huge fan of the boxy design, but if you can install the OEM cover over it, I guess it's not too bad.
Yes, I'm really curious how the sound will change and hoping it's got a cool whine. I have the Injen CAI and will be using that with the supercharger so I expect that to aid induction sounds!
As for the look of it, I wasn't a huge fan of their first revision of the kit with totally plain looking box, but the current revision looks pretty good, really curious what it looks like in person...

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I hope it turns out better then you expected bro... I’m excited for the results... you nervous about anything?
Thanks
My biggest concern has been that it's not real. When I first heard about it I totally thought "that's BS", I even was researching how to put my own kit together...
At this point I'm most nervous of a defect, which can happen no matter how good the Manufacturer, otherwise I'm feeling very optimistic.
Just dropped $1,500 on parts to do it right and got a tracking number 😎

They sent me a video of the final check of my kit before sending it to the 'courier'
I shared on my car profile here:
http://instagr.am/p/CNsSJQtH0Br/

1 - 20 of 96 Posts