2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am on a quest...To transform a great car into my dream car.
to supercharge the Skyactiv 2.5L. I want the peak power of the 2.5T with the broad power band of the 2.5L.
Goal: To be on par with e46 M3 or Civic Type R. (and way faster than the Skyactiv 2.5T: less torque, more horsepower).
I initially thought I would pursue cobbling together my own kit (Considering Supercharger on Skyactiv)
But am now pursuing VT-Racing, Chinese company, twin-screw supercharger for 2.5L skyactiv engines (launched in early 2019 in China).

I've been in regular contact with the company for a few weeks and I am putting down a deposit for a supercharger kit. They are calling it a "press kit" since I will be the first supercharged Skyactiv in North America, I'll be a pioneer :cool: (both scary and cool)

The twin-screw supercharger Kit:
  • Primary unit takes the place of the stock intake manifold.
  • Integrated air-water intercooler, with extra radiator that will be added in front of existing one.
  • Low boost - Peak <6psi -Twin screw characteristic builds reliablie linear rise in pressure starting at very low rpm
  • Power: Claimed 241hp at the wheels from completely stock CX5
    • Expect lower 0-60 by at least 2 seconds (that would be 5.6s 0-60 and 13.6 1/4 mi)
    • They said customers with aftermarket intake/exhaust have felt more power but they have no specific metrics.
    • Fantastic torque boost even at very low rpm
    • boost psi slips down a little in higher RPM, but it stays up enough that HP increases all the way to red-line
  • Tuning - included as part of the package VT-Racing remote tunes for the super (very much like OVTune/DRTune, but slightly different software)
  • Cost: figure after shipping and everything about $5,000 for -2 seconds from 0-60, 1/4 mi
__
UPDATE 4/25 - SUPERCHARGER IS INSTALLED AND RUNNING!
It feels great on the road, with a lovely "zingy" sound when on the throttle, but when idling or cruising it almost sounds stock (250-300HP crank). Power just builds and builds as the RPM goes up with peak HP at red-line.
20210221_101550_____.jpg
__

Complimentary PARTS
1. Spark Plugs (reqired) - need to run colder heat range, found NGKs that are slightly smaller gap (.31" vs .44") and one step colder heat range (8 vs 7)
These are actually OE on Nissan GTR ;)
2. Oil Cooler (recommended) - adding 30% more power means more heat, adding thermostatic oil cooler should help longevity. This kit is made for an ND Miata so the oil filter plate will fit fine, and was able to use one of the brackets to leverage intercooler mounting point.
3. Oil Catch Can - adding forced induction will likely increase blow by and I want to keep the twin screws clean for a long life.
4. Liquid Chill - coolant additive proven to modify surface tension/conductivity characteristics of liquid to increase cooling capacity, drop temps by 25f
5. Boost gauge and Oil Pressure/temp gauges - To have better visibility of what's happening when I'm pushing the car on track or any time. I found a two in one gauge for oil pressure and temperature, plus matching boost gauge. Both are digital so even though the boost will only go up to 6psi I can see exactly where it's at.
Oil Pressure/Temperature Gauge Kit
Digital Boost Gauge Kit
6. Antigravity ATX30-RS 5.5lb, 880CA Battery - to help compensate for the additional weight of the supercharger kit (40-80lbs) switching to ultra light battery can drop 30lbs to help offset. Antigravity also has a bluetooth battery tracker that I was going to install to keep tabs on the health of the battery.
____

*Note: VT-Racing has not installed their kit on any Skyactiv with manual transmissions (mostly CX5s and some 6s), and are not sure how it would handle it. They did seem open to using a softer spring on the bypass valve to lower the peak psi to potentially be livable for manuals.
The good news is they claim the automatic has no problem at all with it, same transmission used with the 2.5T and this will be less torque than that (more horsepower)

FB_IMG_1613854191921.jpg IMG-20210221-WA0004.jpg mmexport1614968636179.jpg mmexport1614968201077.jpg

·
Registered
2013 Mazda 3 i Hatchback
93 Posts
I can't wait to hear how this goes. I have to say that the $/hp ratio is a little unappealing to me, but I'm cheap. I don't really mod my cars much because it makes you upside down on your car (more $$$ into it that it's worth), and you might very well have made a reliable car into a basket case. If you're okay with both of those problems, have at it. I will stay mostly stock, and be greatly entertained by your Chinese Experiment, win or lose.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
836 Posts
... I don't really mod my cars much because it makes you upside down on your car (more $$$ into it that it's worth), and you might very well have made a reliable car into a basket case...
I'm not one for pouring $ into a car... and we note that doing serious mods (notwithstanding the cost of those mods) further lessens the car's value in the marketplace - but let's also acknowledge that just holding-on to a normal production car lessens its value. It strikes me as just being the degree to which it does. Kudos to Dan for doing these mods in a careful way. Many of us could benefit from this if he's successful.

·
Registered
2013 Mazda 3 i Hatchback
93 Posts
I'm not one for pouring $ into a car... and we note that doing serious mods (notwithstanding the cost of those mods) further lessens the car's value in the marketplace - but let's also acknowledge that just holding-on to a normal production car lessens its value. It strikes me as just being the degree to which it does. Kudos to Dan for doing these mods in a careful way. Many of us could benefit from this if he's successful.
Believe me, I WANT him to be successful. Like you, I am also pleased that he is working with a company that is interested in helping him, that increases his chances of success greatly.

Someday, when I've got more money in the bank, and these kits are sold in enough volume that the price comes down to $2k and there's a track record of reliability, I'm all over it.

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really do wish you the best of luck with this one. Would be awesome if this works out.

However, if you blow your engine I demand that you change your screen name to Icarus
Haha, that would fit in that case. Though I'm trying to fly at a reasonable height 😁

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't wait to hear how this goes. I have to say that the $/hp ratio is a little unappealing to me, but I'm cheap. I don't really mod my cars much because it makes you upside down on your car (more $$$ into it that it's worth), and you might very well have made a reliable car into a basket case. If you're okay with both of those problems, have at it. I will stay mostly stock, and be greatly entertained by your Chinese Experiment, win or lose.

Keep us posted.
Hmmm, for me this is a passion not an investment... I want to drive something special/unique , that represents me, and gonna keep this car for a LONG time...

On paper the hp/$ isn't as good as some cars, but Mazdas true speed is always under represented by just peak Hp...

What I'm interested in is how fast it is in the real world, if I can get to a 5.6sec 0-60 and <13.7s 1/4 mi, then it will feel quick enough for me to be very happy!
I doubt I'll ever get it dyno'd, but I probably will take it to a drag strip to see what official times I Can pull down (and I regularly attend AutoX racing events, where the zero lag boost of the super should be very fun!)

*for reference i'm already at 6.3s 0-60 and 14.7s 1/4 mi (according to Torque app) , so the above numbers seem like a conservative estimate for another 20% power gain over how high I already am.

·
Registered
294 Posts
what's the claimed torque?
i wonder how the transmission will take it.
it takes the 310ftlb from the diesel just fine. but how overbuilt is it?

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what's the claimed torque?
i wonder how the transmission will take it.
it takes the 310ftlb from the diesel just fine. but how overbuilt is it?
Claimed torque gain +30%, at basically any rpm, peaking around 250lb/ft at the crank

Claimed HP gain +40%, peaking at red line around 270HP at the crank

I'm figuring my better flowing exhaust and intake (VS stock) is worth another 5-15, so should be over 280hp at the crank in my case, hopefully 🙏

So the transmission should be fine.

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5 non sky
682 Posts
Hmmm, for me this is a passion not an investment... I want to drive something special/unique , that represents me, and gonna keep this car for a LONG time...

On paper the hp/$ isn't as good as some cars, but Mazdas true speed is always under represented by just peak Hp...

What I'm interested in is how fast it is in the real world, if I can get to a 5.6sec 0-60 and <13.7s 1/4 mi, then it will feel quick enough for me to be very happy!
I doubt I'll ever get it dyno'd, but I probably will take it to a drag strip to see what official times I Can pull down (and I regularly attend AutoX racing events, where the zero lag boost of the super should be very fun!)

*for reference i'm already at 6.3s 0-60 and 14.7s 1/4 mi (according to Torque app) , so the above numbers seem like a conservative estimate for another 20% power gain over how high I already am.
Totally understand !
I m in the same boat , want to do something unique with my 2012 2.0L . I have a car with very good bones and investing in it and feel the same way. Getting her below 5 sec
is a fun car all around. ( doing a dyno rod bearing let go at 162whp .. should have could have redlined at 170whp ). Not bad for NA engine. Engine re build goals... porting the heads which should add 10 or more (local cost $600 cdn) something you should consider , but i think skyactiv may have maximized this already! Increasing compression to 12:1 (maybe) with lighter internals, stiffer valve springs & increasing redline ( 8000+, depends on balancing the crank shaft) . Theoretically looking at 20 + whp .

I know DR Tuned has a how to turbo your car , have you reached out to them about their insights on supercharged sky engines ?

Reactions: WoodinvilleDan

·
Registered
682 Posts
are there any fwd cars that can get <5s?
Right here baby !!
ok ok ... only in my dreams
Its on my to do list this ... check on 1/4 and 0-60
un-official 5.6 (passenger hand held phone stop watch timing watching me launch visual )
I did drop around 200+ lbs from the car.

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
are there any fwd cars that can get <5s?
FWD is traction limited particularly from 0, so it'd be VERY hard to get <5s. BUT in any kind of rolling situation (e.g. 5-60, 20-80, AutoX) you can be competative with a car that has <5s 0-60 (having power to the rear wheels makes a huge difference at launch).

Reactions: dd18

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Totally understand !
I m in the same boat , want to do something unique with my 2012 2.0L . I have a car with very good bones and investing in it and feel the same way. Getting her below 5 sec
is a fun car all around. ( doing a dyno rod bearing let go at 162whp .. should have could have redlined at 170whp ). Not bad for NA engine. Engine re build goals... porting the heads which should add 10 or more (local cost $600 cdn) something you should consider , but i think skyactiv may have maximized this already! Increasing compression to 12:1 (maybe) with lighter internals, stiffer valve springs & increasing redline ( 8000+, depends on balancing the crank shaft) . Theoretically looking at 20 + whp .

I know DR Tuned has a how to turbo your car , have you reached out to them about their insights on supercharged sky engines ?
That's very cool @JoeMini full NA power and that 2L mzr is a fun little engine that likes to rev :)

I have running threads with both DR Tuned and OVTune
  • DRT - he doesn't know of anyone that has FI Skyactiv, but said he can help tune it if I get it working. He said most people don't bother because at that high compression you can't go much above 6psi, so people building forced induction focus more on platforms where they can get over 10psi boost...
  • OVT - He actually helped do some research, and told me I should let VT-Racing tune the car, that they know how to.
Porting heads: not in the plans right now, but it's an interesting thought

·
Registered
682 Posts
FWD is traction limited particularly from 0, so it'd be VERY hard to get <5s. BUT in any kind of rolling situation (e.g. 5-60, 20-80, AutoX) you can be competative with a car that has <5s 0-60 (having power to the rear wheels makes a huge difference at launch).
Correct ...
The test will be with Traction control on and off.
Plus having a much lighter flywheel (12lbs) vs OEM (38 lbs) makes a huge diff in engine spooling up.
A gain of 20HP in 1st 2nd only.

·
Registered
682 Posts
That's very cool @JoeMini full NA power and that 2L mzr is a fun little engine that likes to rev :)

I have running threads with both DR Tuned and OVTune
  • DRT - he doesn't know of anyone that has FI Skyactiv, but said he can help tune it if I get it working. He said most people don't bother because at that high compression you can't go much above 6psi, so people building forced induction focus more on platforms where they can get over 10psi boost...
  • OVT - He actually helped do some research, and told me I should let VT-Racing tune the car, that they know how to.
Porting heads: not in the plans right now, but it's an interesting thought
I think @arathol mentioned porting in a past thread that this would change the torque curve on the skyactiv since the headers and heads have been engineered for high torque 1- 4K rpm.
Had Matt at OVT stuck with tuning mazda's we would probably have had possibly OVT cams / headers and other boosted applications for the skyactiv engine and even FI supercharger tune for the mazdaedit plarform.

·
Registered
2012 Mz3 Sky & 2016 Mz6
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
updated the OP with a little more content about Power

Also, just got confirmation that the kit I'm getting will be their latest revision: with supports to install the stock engine cover
(Note: I am getting black version to go with my car, but this red is their other color option)
FB_IMG_1613854191921_.jpg

Awaiting estimates for fabrication/shipping time, and they are making me a "warranty document" using pictures they had me take of my car/engine/VIN placard.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Right here baby !!
ok ok ... only in my dreams
Its on my to do list this ... check on 1/4 and 0-60
un-official 5.6 (passenger hand held phone stop watch timing watching me launch visual )
I did drop around 200+ lbs from the car.
i've thought about buying a dragy or other race gps and sharing with other members to get official 0-60 times
anyone interested in sharing the cost?

·
Registered
682 Posts
i've thought about buying a dragy or other race gps and sharing with other members to get official 0-60 times
anyone interested in sharing the cost?
I was thinking of a dragy but needed more of a lap timer helper like Race chromo app and a better camera like a go pro.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts