2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This forum needs some content so I am creating an oil filter thread.

There are many oil filters out there that will "fit" on the skyactiv-g 2.0L engine but only a couple have been designed specifically for the Skyactiv-G. The following filters have been designed specifically for the Skyactiv-G engines and do not have any application recommendations for any other engine from any other manufacturer:

Toyo-Roki: PE01-14-302 This is the OEM filter you can get online or from your dealer.
Wix: 57002
Napa Gold: FIL 7002 (exact same filter as Wix)
Carquest: 84002 (exact same as Wix)

There are other filters listed from Fram, Champ Labs, Purolator, etc. that will fit but they are multi-use filters that were not specifically designed for the Skyactiv-G. They will probably work fine but just be aware of this. These other filters typically include an ADBV that the Skyactiv-G filters do not have. This feature is not needed due to the vertical installation at the bottom of the engine.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Toyo-Roki filters are top notch. The construction quality is 2nd to none. Can't go wrong with them.

·
Registered
102 Posts
That's interesting that the OE filters don't have an ADBV. I always thought that wasn't necessary in a threads up mount. I bet that helps with better and less restrictive oil flow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Toyo-Roki PE01-14-302 filter also comes in two additional revisions, the PE01-14-302A, and the PE01-14-302B. I don't know what the differences in the revisions but they'll all work. A Mazda #255 filter wrench is required. Dorman #095-147 drain plug gaskets are available from various sources for about $12 delivered per box of 25.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just replaced the oil and filter in my 13 Sky Hatch. The filter installed from the dealers' first free oil change was a PE01-14-302. The ones I purchased last month are the PE01-14-302A versions. The only difference I can see is the "A" version is about 1/4 inch shorter (I was actually surprised at how dinky this filter is :shocked:). Also installed a Fumoto F106N oil drain valve and filled it with the OEM 0w-20 Moly oil - it's one of the best oils out there according the Bobistheoilguy members.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just replaced the oil and filter in my 13 Sky Hatch. The filter installed from the dealers' first free oil change was a PE01-14-302. The ones I purchased last month are the PE01-14-302A versions. The only difference I can see is the "A" version is about 1/4 inch shorter (I was actually surprised at how dinky this filter is :shocked:). Also installed a Fumoto F106N oil drain valve and filled it with the OEM 0w-20 Moly oil - it's one of the best oils out there according the Bobistheoilguy members.
The examples of the PE01-14-302 and PE01-14-302A that I have are exactly the same height.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I found it's much easier to go to the MAZDA dealer and buy the oil & filters. I told the parts guy I will be purchaseing it all the time and we settled on a good deal, all you gotta do is ask.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I buy the filters from a local Mazda dealer. If I buy 10x, the price is $5.50 each. Mazda oil filter: PE01-14-302. Since the gasket was $1 a piece, I've been using Honda gasket that fits exactly ( 20 cents a piece)

Parts info with avg internet pricing:
Mazda: 14 x 20 x 1.5 mm drain plug gasket: 99564-1400 ($1) or ISH9956-41-400 ($0.18 )
Mazda 0w20 synthetic with Molly 1 quart: 0000-G5-0W20-MQ ($6.50)

·
Registered
752 Posts
I know when I went to get a filter for my first change at the local O reileys their system was actually updated to know the difference and asks for the vin number. I wish I had the box at my apartment I cant remember which one I got. I know visual inspection it was identical to the OEM one that came off.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought the Mazda recommended 0-20w oil and OEM filter at the local Mazda dealer and asked for a "crush washer" ( a term I read online relating to the oil drain plug). Is this crush washer - a thin aluminum washer - the same as the gasket you are referring to in an earlier post?

·
Super Moderator
6,185 Posts
I bought the Mazda recommended 0-20w oil and OEM filter at the local Mazda dealer and asked for a "crush washer" ( a term I read online relating to the oil drain plug). Is this crush washer - a thin aluminum washer - the same as the gasket you are referring to in an earlier post?

Yes. The drain plug gasket and the crush washer are the same.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have been running a purolator. I cant remember the exact model Ill get it when I go home but its slightly larger capacity than the OEM filter. and upon cutting my last one open the elements are very well put together.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Does anyone know how much the factory Moly 0w-20 is from the dealership? Getting tired of paying them to do the work I can do but I want to stick to all factory parts/oil.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Does anyone know how much the factory Moly 0w-20 is from the dealership? Getting tired of paying them to do the work I can do but I want to stick to all factory parts/oil.
Buy 2 cases ( 24 quarts ) and the dealer should be willing to give you about $6.00 to $6.50 per quart

·
Registered
33 Posts
Shoot at that price I might switch to Mobile 1. Walmart prices theirs at ~$22 for the 5 quart jug but I'll check my dealer beforehand. Thanks

·
Registered
243 Posts
I am also planning to switch to Mobil 1, after I use up the Mazda oil - now 14 quarts left from 4 boxes purchased when the car was new. Too much hassle to find the oil. The local dealer had to order the boxes from an out-of-state dealer as the local dealer only carried and used Castrol oil. I am still going to use the Mazda filter ( $5.50/ea from the dealer when purchased 10)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts