2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mines just clocked up 44K. 2.0 UK spec.
The engine is noisier when cold than it used to be, it about the same when warm. Theres a rattle and clunk when you take up the drive, than no one can identify. The gear change is a bit notchier than most cars. In fact is probably average all round. I doubt if I'd buy another Mazda 3 though.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think that any vehicle with 50K on the clock will behave differently from one that is brand new. I'm noticing a bit more vibration at idle (34K miles now) but it is simply something that is there. It's not bad and frankly in a 4-banger I expect some idle vibration. I'm able to look past it though - yesterday, round trip from Key West to Miami and back I averaged 44.3 mpg. Amazing mileage. Eat your heart out Prius fans!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I think that any vehicle with 50K on the clock will behave differently from one that is brand new. I'm noticing a bit more vibration at idle (34K miles now) but it is simply something that is there. It's not bad and frankly in a 4-banger I expect some idle vibration. I'm able to look past it though - yesterday, round trip from Key West to Miami and back I averaged 44.3 mpg. Amazing mileage. Eat your heart out Prius fans!
I got a prius Prime, and mileage doesn't compare. I got 108mpg out of my prime the other day over 72 miles. 74mpg over the entire day of 150 miles. I average around 65mpg.

Also, I still swear by it, try the Lucas top end product. 1 bottle is good for 10 tanks of fuel, and it will smooth out your idle etc. Did wonders for my 2014 Mazda3. Drives like a new car with 220k on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just reading through the web trying to find anything about potential problems with the Mazda 6. We have a 2015 6. My wife was on the way back from a long trip and experienced a transmission problem. The car has 577xx miles on it and I have regularly changed the oil as directed. The car drives but won't shift out of 1st. In auto mode it attempts to shift into 2nd and then almost lurches to a stop and then kicks back into 1st gear. If i put the auto transmission into manual it will drive all day in first but if I try to shift into 2nd it does the same thing. I can't quickly shift it past 2nd thnking it might be just in that gear. Anyone else having or had similar problems? The sucky part is we are 16 days past the 60 month limits of the warranty so Mazda warranty won't cover it. We have an extended warranty but they are requiring we pay the dealer upwards to $1500 to tear the tranny apart to 'prove' it was a mechanical failure, then and only then would they warrant it. The dealer and the extended warranty place told us that the $1500 is out of our pocket and not subject to reimbursement. The dealer also told us that the odds of actually finding an obvious failed component was 50/50. I can buy a used transmission for $750 and have it put in by another transmission guy I know for probably a total of close to what it was going to cost just to tear into it at the dealer. It was throwing codes P0732 and P0780. Like I said, was curious if anyone else has experienced similar problems with the transmission.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S Grand Touring, 6spd Manual, Soul Red
40 Posts
I have two issues with my car. I’m at 23k miles right now. First, the engine vibrates (after the warm-up cycle) a little more than I think it should. I have been told it’s normal, but Scotty Kilmer watched a video of it and told me it’s not, idk. Secondly, the shifts feel “off”. I don’t know if it’s normal, but it shifts kinda spotty, almost like she wants to grind but doesn’t. Is this normal? Just not a smooth shift. I plan on adding the corksport short-shifter, bushings, transmission mount and rear engine mount to see if it helps smooth it out a bit, but some people tell me it’s normal, and some say their shift is smooth as butter. Ugh.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We haven't had any problems prior to this...my wife has called Mazda hoping that they will go ahead and fix the tranny but I am not holding my breath. It would be nice if a company would do the right thing and stand behind their products but I also get it from their viewpoint....where do you draw the line....just sucks that a car with less than 60k on it has to have a new transmission.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Just reading through the web trying to find anything about potential problems with the Mazda 6. We have a 2015 6. My wife was on the way back from a long trip and experienced a transmission problem. The car has 577xx miles on it and I have regularly changed the oil as directed. The car drives but won't shift out of 1st. In auto mode it attempts to shift into 2nd and then almost lurches to a stop and then kicks back into 1st gear. If i put the auto transmission into manual it will drive all day in first but if I try to shift into 2nd it does the same thing. I can't quickly shift it past 2nd thnking it might be just in that gear. Anyone else having or had similar problems? The sucky part is we are 16 days past the 60 month limits of the warranty so Mazda warranty won't cover it. We have an extended warranty but they are requiring we pay the dealer upwards to $1500 to tear the tranny apart to 'prove' it was a mechanical failure, then and only then would they warrant it. The dealer and the extended warranty place told us that the $1500 is out of our pocket and not subject to reimbursement. The dealer also told us that the odds of actually finding an obvious failed component was 50/50. I can buy a used transmission for $750 and have it put in by another transmission guy I know for probably a total of close to what it was going to cost just to tear into it at the dealer. It was throwing codes P0732 and P0780. Like I said, was curious if anyone else has experienced similar problems with the transmission.
Betcha it's a bad solenoid. It's technically mechanical. Also, at 16 days past factory, start a case, bitch a bit, and be reasonable, say you love the car, but this is not okay. They don't need to disassemble the whole transmission to figure out if it's the solenoids. They are just playing games with you. Tell them rip it apart, get the dealer to do the fight for you. Bribe them, be nice, etc. They won't make as much money on the work, but purchase a maintenance plan, show you are going to be an awesome customer otherwise, and it's worth fighting for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Betcha it's a bad solenoid. It's technically mechanical. Also, at 16 days past factory, start a case, bitch a bit, and be reasonable, say you love the car, but this is not okay. They don't need to disassemble the whole transmission to figure out if it's the solenoids. They are just playing games with you. Tell them rip it apart, get the dealer to do the fight for you. Bribe them, be nice, etc. They won't make as much money on the work, but purchase a maintenance plan, show you are going to be an awesome customer otherwise, and it's worth fighting for you.
Thanks for the advise...we are waiting for them to get back to us...once they do we will give you suggestions a try.

·
Registered
52 Posts
14 Mazda 3. 2L. Manual. 240,000km/150,000miles.

Replaced 1 alternator, 1 battery, MAF sensor and regulator maintenance. Have done the transmission oil twice so far - theres no such thing as lifetime fluid.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I have two issues with my car. I’m at 23k miles right now. First, the engine vibrates (after the warm-up cycle) a little more than I think it should. I have been told it’s normal, but Scotty Kilmer watched a video of it and told me it’s not, idk. Secondly, the shifts feel “off”. I don’t know if it’s normal, but it shifts kinda spotty, almost like she wants to grind but doesn’t. Is this normal? Just not a smooth shift. I plan on adding the corksport short-shifter, bushings, transmission mount and rear engine mount to see if it helps smooth it out a bit, but some people tell me it’s normal, and some say their shift is smooth as butter. Ugh.
What oil did you use when you changed it?

·
Registered
40 Posts
What oil did you use when you changed it?
Used Castrol Edge. Got it changed about 700 miles ago now. At just over 25k and the vibrations have normalized. I think the dealer I got it from used cheap BS oil. Also installed the SS plate and bushings which have helped a bit with the shifter. Changing to Redline MTL this Friday, which should improve it further. I think I’m also going to flush the brakes and put some new fluid in it. Anyone have any suggestions on brake/clutch fluid?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Used Castrol Edge. Got it changed about 700 miles ago now. At just over 25k and the vibrations have normalized. I think the dealer I got it from used cheap BS oil. Also installed the SS plate and bushings which have helped a bit with the shifter. Changing to Redline MTL this Friday, which should improve it further. I think I’m also going to flush the brakes and put some new fluid in it. Anyone have any suggestions on brake/clutch fluid?
You'll be very happy with the redline in the trans. I know I am. I use Castrol edge as well. It's not the best oil there is, but it's not terrible either. More than suitable for our cars. For brake fluid, I've always used a good brand DOT4. Something like prestone.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You'll be very happy with the redline in the trans. I know I am. I use Castrol edge as well. It's not the best oil there is, but it's not terrible either. More than suitable for our cars. For brake fluid, I've always used a good brand DOT4. Something like prestone.
Put the Redline in today. Definitely helps. Then I installed my 570g shifter knob. Shift is pretty close to dead perfect now. I’m not even sure I need the mounts.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts