2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know MTF isn't specific to the skyactiv vehicles but since the transmission is, I thought it might be nice to have a thread of compatible MTFs and people's thoughts on what they have used in their skyactiv MTXs.

The OM specifies a 75W-80, GL-4 MTF. The GL-4 is what specifies the additive package protection requirements. This is probably the most important piece of the specification and I'd recommend avoiding any fluids that are dual rated for both GL-4 and GL-5 to be on the safe side (GL-5 fluids can harm soft synchro metals). The 75W-80 is a rather broad specification and many different types of fluid will work with this specification. The 100C viscosity for this spec can range from ~6 cSt all the way up to 10+ cSt. That is a fairly drastic difference in MTF viscosity to consider (67%+). Obviously the thinner fluids should have an advantage in severe cold starts and MPGs and thicker fluids could arguably provide more protection in extreme heat/hard usage at the cost of MPG.

Here are some common MTF GL-4 choices starting with the thinnest and moving to the thickest (40C cSt, 100C cSt):

1) Fuchs Sintofluid FE 75W (40.8, 6.7)
2) Royal Purple Synchromax (38.0, 7.7)
3) Pentosin MTF2 75W-80 (38.3, 7.7)
4) Pennzoil Synchromesh (41.6, 9.08)
5) Shell Spirax S6 75W-80 (56, 9.1)
6) Amsoil Synchromesh 5W-30 (48.3, 9.7) [Doesn't list GL-4 protection, but additive package apparently fits GL-4 protection levels]
7) Chevron Multigear 75W-80 (57, 9.6)
8) Redline MTL 75W-80 (54.1, 10.4)
10) Mazda OEM fluid (unknown)

Other fluids that could work well depending on your application are the dual clutch transmission (DCT) fluids. They usually run on the thin side but there are several that carry GL-4 protection ratings. I'm guessing the DCT fluids made for dry clutch applications would be the best best of the DCT fluids.

Other things to consider would be that a 75W-85 or 75W-90 GL-4 fluid would also work if preferred for some reason.

Reactions: Badbro

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My personal review of the 2 MTFs I have run:

Mazda OEM - I ran the OEM MTF up until the 20k mile mark on my 3. It shifted with little effort almost all the time. The only complaint was when outside temps fell below 40F. On cold starts, shifts from 1-2 were very notchy and a bit stubborn for the first few minutes. 2-3 wasn't exactly smooth either.

Redline MTL - I have been running this for about 10k miles now. Buttery smooth shifts even on cold starts in temperatures down to 15F and lower. My MPGs might have increased a bit, but if so it wasn't anything drastic. I really like this fluid and it was very affordable online compared to most of the other fluids available out there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts