2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the other day I sent a message to MSDS about headers for the Skyactiv:

Me: Hello, I am curious if MSDS is doing any development on skyactiv exhaust compoents? The Skyactiv 2.0L motor found in the Mazda CX-5/Mazda 3 and th Skactiv 2.5L motor also found in the CX-5/3? With tuning software now available for these motors it may be practicable.

MSDS: AFIK the msds pn HO-333G2 race exhaust header system does fit up to the 2.0 Skyactive engine.
Tuning with our header in place might be a requirement of the installer.

Thank you,
[email protected]

Martin Schneider
President MSDSinc.
est. 1976

The thing though is the "AFIK" (As far as I know) I'll have to find out for sure and get a price.

Now that I am getting tuning software (which I expected to come in today but w/e) I want parts that make real changes.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I would request a picture of the exhaust flange bolt pattern. secondly it would have to be specifically designed like the skyactiv header, as the engines were tuned to the stock header to help against detonation..
Judging by the description in your second post, it won't work. ( GEN 2, you are not a gen 2)

Also Skyactiv tuning is really limited right now, especially 2014 models are barely even supported at all.

This forum loves MSDS because they make great headers. you must have missed all the hype in the group buy...

·
skyactiv
533 Posts
i think they fit the 3 and the cx-5. the 2012/3 3s didn't get the 4-2-1 header because it wouldn't fit. the cx-5 is the same 2.0 engine but it has the 4-2-1 headers.
i don't think they would have made new headers just for 2012/3.

EDIT: just checked 2010 and 2012 2.0's have the same headers (PN: LFK9-20-50XD)

as OV mentioned the cx-5 is probably tuned for the 4-2-1 headers while the 3's are not so this may be a good upgrade for a skyactiv 3 not so much a cx-5

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm now that you mention it, I found these illustrations of the CX-5 2.0 header.. CX-5

2014 m3 4-2-1 (not sure if 2.0 or 2.5)

2012 2.0 w/ 4-1

Yea im pretty doubtful on it because I found a 04-06 mazda header with the same bolt pattern.. and that's definitely not the same as the sky. Going to try to get some clarification.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Yea I'd ask for clarification, since no headers are available for the sky, and MSDS has been keeping them secret... well LOL what a loss of business.

Also keep us all updated on your tune and how it goes. Really interested. Just noticed your car is a 2013, so don't mind my comment about limited tuning support.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Is that 2012 a skyactiv or mzr?

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, all sky. You could always grab one from a junker. Maybe you can set up a GB. LOL
Also, this si the response I got from MSDS

me:
Is ther any way for me to get more detailed information about this header, I'm interested and possibly others (I'm on an active forum). The issue here is that this is compatible with MZR and Skyactiv motors.. Would it be possible to get more information or clarification on whether this indeed fits the Skyactiv 2.0L motor? For starters the header listed on the website is the incorrect (MZR old mazda 3 motor) bolt pattern. Thanks

MSDS:
If the cyl.port bolt pattern is different from our HO-333G2 race header....then it will not interfit with your style 2.0 cyl. Head.
Try searching around Mazda forums for an application to suit your needs.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Hmm what do you think about a header (from a junkyard) with that catalyst removed? Would that be worth it if the part was cheap?
It would make a little difference, but probably not a lot. The design of the stock header runners don't look that nice.

and as people say the CX5 has the 4-2-1 design (I can't confirm) and that is insanely complicated but made that way for a specific reason.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It would make a little difference, but probably not a lot. The design of the stock header runners don't look that nice.

and as people say the CX5 has the 4-2-1 design (I can't confirm) and that is insanely complicated but made that way for a specific reason.
Yea If I can pull one cheap froma junkyard maybe ill try somehtin

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
wait so they are saying that it would fit the 2012-2013 skyactiv engine (Gen2, not the Gen3 4-2-1)?

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
wait so they are saying that it would fit the 2012-2013 skyactiv engine (Gen2, not the Gen3 4-2-1)?
Lol funny part is, they weren't even sure. But after what OV said, I can tell that the bolt pattern is not the same, and is in fact the same as another random Gen 2 header that I googled. I was already to find a junkyard with a cx-5 to get part of the stock airbox to use with my SRI I'll see what they would charge for a part like that.

From what I can glean for the 2012 skyactiv motor the bolt pattern appears to be the same as the MSDS header. http://www.oemmazdaparts.com/auto-p.../exhaust-manifolds/?trim=i&engine=2-0l-l4-gas there are 3 headers listed there, 2 for federal, 1 for cali, all appear to have the same bolt pattern. I did some searching but could not find a real picture of the "old" 2.0L skyactiv motor showing the exhaust area. I don't know what MSDS return policy is but it looks the same as the 2012 skyactiv so he was probably right about that.
MSDS

this is the 4-2-1 set up (not the 2012 skyactiv header, but the cx-5 and 2014 mazda 3, clearly different bolt pattern.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Think basically was MSDS was saying was 'yes' because they didn't know the flange was totally different. his final response looked like a 'no.'

·
skyactiv
533 Posts
I thought so at first but when i originally looked up the part numbers i picked the 2010 and 2012. I checked again but this time i chose a 2013 and it gave me a different part number (PE19-20-50XC).

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Not willing to spend that kind of money on a "maybe" lmao

I'm a balla on a budget

1 - 20 of 93 Posts