2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello (new member)
Wondering if anyone has done any mods to a mazda 3 skyactiv to make the car more fun to drive

·
Super Moderator
6,393 Posts
Many many posts on this to read.
Search function Read Learn

The majority of SA tuning threads are in the 3rd generation section.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I put a throttle booster from "pedal booster" that woke it up a ton. seems like it could breathe better but dot want to suck hot air with a SRI. been looking for a Cold air intake but no luck yet

·
Super Moderator
6,393 Posts
I put a throttle booster from "pedal booster" that woke it up a ton. seems like it could breathe better but dot want to suck hot air with a SRI. been looking for a Cold air intake but no luck yet
Throttle booster? All that does is change pedal sensitivity. No power advantages. Placebo effect only.:dunno:

You are not going to make the car breathe better. Airflow is as good is its going to get without going to forced induction.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it definitely doesn't add any power but it does make the throttle react quicker. I don't have the lag that I used to before installing it. Like I said it made it more fun to drive. thanks for the info on the intake. i appreciate it because there is really not much out there for the skyactiv

·
Super Moderator
6,393 Posts
it definitely doesn't add any power but it does make the throttle react quicker. I don't have the lag that I used to before installing it. Like I said it made it more fun to drive. thanks for the info on the intake. i appreciate it because there is really not much out there for the skyactiv
There is plenty that can make it more fun to drive. Better suspension stuff, short shift plates, better exhaust systems etc. A good tune can also get you ~ ±40 hp. You also get better throttle response included in the tune if you get the right one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sprintbooster, as far as i know, doesn't make one for the skyactiv engine. As far as a tune, How do you do that. Is it software that you load from a laptop or do you take to someone.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would take a look at Corksport. Its difficult finding a ton of aftermarket parts for the skyactiv still. Corksport has an awesome rated and reliable parts with killer instructions making even the most novice mechanics feel confident.

I would look at their intake (although you might not see a ton of HP improvement with just an intake, it will give you more noise and a more fun drive), exhaust, short shifters (every car I have had a short shifter in is tons more fun to drive, makes the shifting so smooth, short and accurate), sway bars and struts will also stiffen up the car a ton and make it feel more confident in corners. There are not a ton of huge HP gain mods to do with these cars, but there are ways to make them more responsive, handle like they are on rails and sound pretty badass.

·
Super Moderator
6,393 Posts
I would take a look at Corksport. Its difficult finding a ton of aftermarket parts for the skyactiv still. Corksport has an awesome rated and reliable parts with killer instructions making even the most novice mechanics feel confident.

I would look at their intake (although you might not see a ton of HP improvement with just an intake, it will give you more noise and a more fun drive), exhaust, short shifters (every car I have had a short shifter in is tons more fun to drive, makes the shifting so smooth, short and accurate), sway bars and struts will also stiffen up the car a ton and make it feel more confident in corners. There are not a ton of huge HP gain mods to do with these cars, but there are ways to make them more responsive, handle like they are on rails and sound pretty badass.
Corksport mufflers are too loud for many. The SRI is just the same as many others on the market, and the exhaust quality, well, there is a whole thread on that issue.:frown2: The shift kit is ok but the JBR kit is better.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Corksport mufflers are too loud for many. The SRI is just the same as many others on the market, and the exhaust quality, well, there is a whole thread on that issue.:frown2: The shift kit is ok but the JBR kit is better.
oh interesting. Thanks for the headsup. When I first bought my Mazda 3, corksport was the only ones making parts for the car on an aftermarket level. I will research more I guess. Thanks for the education. Who would you recommend for exhaust over the corksport? I have often debated on just doing a muffler delete with a resonator instead at a local exhaust shop to open it up a bit.

·
Super Moderator
6,393 Posts
Racing Beat would be my choice for an older gen 2 car.
Muffler deletes on a SA car often sound like an old lawn mower at higher rpms and can drone badly. Trying to redesign the exhaust system with different pipes and aftermarket resonators can kill your power too. Its made like it is for good reason, it's not just cobbled together to get the exhaust from point A to point B.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts