2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking for feedback from 2012-13 Skyactiv owners. I have driven or test driven (3) 2012 Mazda 3 Sky's (including 2 that I owned) and all of them rev the engine on a cold start-up (fine, I understand all cars do this) but I have noticed on all of them that the sound is, well, awful. After about 15-20 seconds when the rev's come down, if I rev it back up it sounds great. So I am guessing it's valve timing or some other auto-adjustment that is causing the rattly, tinny sound.

Maybe I can post a video but I'm hoping someone will know what I'm talking about. Would any mods change or cover up this sound?

EDIT: I live in So Cal where the temp on start-up is typically 65-85F, but it doesn't seem to be related to ambient temp.

·
Super Moderator
6,164 Posts
Looking for feedback from 2012-13 Skyactiv owners. I have driven or test driven (3) 2012 Mazda 3 Sky's (including 2 that I owned) and all of them rev the engine on a cold start-up (fine, I understand all cars do this) but I have noticed on all of them that the sound is, well, awful. After about 15-20 seconds when the rev's come down, if I rev it back up it sounds great. So I am guessing it's valve timing or some other auto-adjustment that is causing the rattly, tinny sound.

Maybe I can post a video but I'm hoping someone will know what I'm talking about. Would any mods change or cover up this sound?

EDIT: I live in So Cal where the temp on start-up is typically 65-85F, but it doesn't seem to be related to ambient temp.
The sound is caused by the ECU retarding the timing on cold start. This is done to bring the catalytic converter up to operating temperature faster. Nothing you can do about it without access to the ECU and knowing how to change the operating parameters.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was shocked as well when i bought a new 2016, and heard the start up,

i even took it back to the dealer, he then explained it to me like arathol said This is done to bring the catalytic converter up to operating temperature faster.

he even started up others just so i could hear they are all the same.

Getting use to it now.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting that it's on 3rd gen's too. Well, glad to know the reason now. I'll just have to drown it out with a nice new exhaust :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts