2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys i have a question

Do you warm up your engine before you drive? if so how long?

Im still breaking in my skyactiv engine im just a little bit under the 1K mark. Every morning i start my car cold start and wait for the blue temperature icon to disappear before i start driving the wait varies but usually 2-3 minutes. Is this helping protect the engine or am i just wasting gas? Thanks for input

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just wasting gas my friend. If your drive slow at the beginning the engine will warmth up by itself in less that 1 minute. I live in Canada where temperatures reach 30 below zero Celsius and trust me I don't need to warmth up my car because if I wait until the blue light disappear from my dash I'll be frozen inside the car! Lol

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
No. I just start driving. My blue cold temp light goes out pretty quickly when I start driving.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yup, just crank it and go. Keep the RPMs down until the engine is up to temp. Engine warms up faster, as well as warms up the transmission. If you idle warm up, all the fluids in the transmission are still well below their normal operating temps.

Also, putting it in gear right after starting is the only way to bring the RPMs out of that obnoxious high rpm accelerated warm up. In previous Mazda's that I've owned, you could blip the throttle, and send the rpms down to normal idle, but they seem to have disabled that now, but putting it in gear does the trick.

·
Registered
82 Posts
i wait till it drops off high idle which is about 10-15 seconds and then start to drive...
Yeah, this is pretty much what I do as well. only takes a couple seconds, most likely it already done before I get fully situated. (phone plugged in, hit play on music, stow any drinks and bags, put on seatbelt, etc.)

·
Registered
71 Posts
i wait till it drops off high idle which is about 10-15 seconds and then start to drive...
Same. If I'm not mistaken the blue light is for the AC. It means there's no cool air available until it goes away. Not much to do with the engine and isn't bad for it at all. In the winter the red light should pop up instead of the blue indicating to hot air available to warm the cabin

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Same. If I'm not mistaken the blue light is for the AC. It means there's no cool air available until it goes away. Not much to do with the engine and isn't bad for it at all. In the winter the red light should pop up instead of the blue indicating to hot air available to warm the cabin

are you retarded?

read your owners manual, because if that red light comes on you need to shut your car off, it's overheating.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
To me, when the blue light goes off, its when I can turn the heater on and not freeze my face off because its ice cold air coming out. In the summer is useless. It comes off in 10 seconds.

Reactions: jrk27

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
I don't even get a light lol

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
guys the blue light means the engine is cold and has not reached the normal operating temperature.

it doesnt turn red it simply goes away. no light means engine is properly warmed up

Reactions: mazda3CHICAGO

·
Registered
56 Posts
I always warm up the engine for about a minute because 1) Bring the engine oil circulated 2) Bring the engine to optimal temp. When the car is cold, the engine runs on the rich side (meaning inefficient)

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
I dont have light either... lol. I have no idea what my temps are. Unless the overheat light comes on lol. But, I just sit close to 20 seconds rpms will be right above 1000 when I drive away.

·
Registered
56 Posts
are you retarded?

read your owners manual, because if that red light comes on you need to shut your car off, it's overheating.
He was saying that it "should" turn red in the winter to indicate warm air ready, instead of blue. He didn't ever say that it did turn red to indicate warm air. The hostility was extremely unnecessary.

·
Registered
508 Posts
He was saying that it "should" turn red in the winter to indicate warm air ready, instead of blue. He didn't ever say that it did turn red to indicate warm air. The hostility was extremely unnecessary.
The red coolant temperature light indicates the car is overheated. It has nothing to do with 'warm air ready'...which by the way is what it means when the blue coolant temperature light goes off.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The red coolant temperature light indicates the car is overheated. It has nothing to do with 'warm air ready'...which by the way is what it means when the blue coolant temperature light goes off.
Oh man don't ever let your dash display this red light no matter if you live at the north pole bud.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Broke Postbac.
536 Posts
Oh gosh, no, the red temperature light means the engine is too hot. It has nothing to do with warm air. If you ever see one, stop the car and turn the engine off, no questions. I don't understand why Mazda excluded a temperature gauge -- it actually is helpful knowing any abnormal temperature increase before it reaches the "danger zone."

Back on topic, I don't wait for the RPM to drop, but I wait for a few seconds.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I understand that. Red lights on your dash is bad. I was just defending please2, who was saying that the blue light popping up in your car indicating the cold air is ready is misleading in the winter when you don't want cold air, you want warm air.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts