2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

161 - 180 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Surging is not a "feature" LOL

If that's happening to you on every downshift then maybe its something to do with the way you drive. It very rarely happens to me and usually its at low speeds and more likely with the ac on. I imagine an instance happens where you dont give it enough throttle so it tries to save itself but over compensates and you get a surge. If that's the case a pcm update should fix it but who knows
Exactly, it happens so rare that it actually startles me every time it does it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
779 Posts
I have the same issue with my 2012 Mazda 3 6spd MT surging when downshifting. It happens when turning corners when I downshift from 4th gear to 2nd or 3rd. As I come out of a turn at around 20mph, complete the shift to 2nd gear, the car will surge forward and the rpms jump to 4000-4500. Scary because I have almost rear ended the cars in front of me. The only way to not have this happen is to slow down before the turn and stay in whatever gear I have been in prior to the turn(usually 4th) but then don't downshift. This makes the engine sound like it wants to be in 2nd because of the slow speed, but it's the only way to avoid the surge and sudden acceleration. Dumb. What's the point of having a manual transmission if you can't downshift? Seems like a major problem with the 2012 Mazda 3. Mine is at the dealer right now being looked at.
Has this been ruled out cause it happens to our cars mostly in turns. At a traffic circle. Power steering lowers RPM's lower than idle and CPU adjusts?

If not, then PCM need a revision.

-The data showed rpms of 3100 not the actual 4000. In my model, 4000 is ~center on the tachometer so it is pretty easy to glance down and see the needle standing on end
-The data also indicated that the transmission never engaged 2nd gear, rather stayed in neutral. Hmmmmmm, the gear shift was in the 2nd gear position where I was sitting.
Heck, both these issues combined could be the cause.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i also get this surge during downshifting and i am in a automatic. happens when i let off the gas and begin braking. its weird. i thought maybe i was hitting the gas while braking, since the gas pedal and brake pedal are so close

·
Registered
2 Posts
surge is an understatement!

13,500 miles on my 2013 mazda 3 and this peculiarity began early on (new off the lot). Took it to the dealer after I nearly hit a guy in a crosswalk while downshifting into 2nd. They found nothing and I attributed it to my lack of accurate description.

Another trip to the dealer with no results whatsoever. They say they believe me but cant locate, or recreate the acceleration.

It reoccurred enough to do an online search... here I am, wondering how many times I'll have to have a close call or worse before something is done about it. Still under warranty so maybe I have options.

Isnt anyone here concerned about liability with this? I do love everything else about this car, but this could be a deal breaker if there is no fix.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Do you have a link to the TSB?
Sorry, it's just a fix someone once posted on a disscusion board that Mazda had done then reprogrammed the PCM. I did not get the work done. I am as curious as you are if it actually works. My lights dim when using electrical devices such as power windows so I would like to get both TSB done.

·
Registered
2 Posts
thanks!

Thanks to all for chiming in.

Dealer has spoken with corporate and is hailing me to come forth. Ahhhh... the power of a warranty.

I too have dimming headlight issues.

sspak9 thank you for the very useful links.

Will post results as they come.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The surging TSB has been posted in the skyactiv subforum since it it only applies to skyactiv models. Hope it helps everyone!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Traded-in my Skyactiv recently for a Leaf. I was soooo happy to see it go. This surging issue has totally burned my opinion of Mazda. I doubt I will ever own one of their cars again, 100% because of this issue.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Once I convinced the dealership that the TSB for the surging existed, and no my addition of the Corksport intake didn't cause the issue, they fixed it and I haven't had a problem since. I also had them do the tsb for the headlights dimming, and no problems since.

My only remaining issues with the car are the glovebox not quite fitting right unless I wiggle it around, then it will latch (They said it is "normal"), the driver side mirror shaking annoyingly at highway speeds (again "normal") and the thermostat not being accurate (I have to vary the cabin setting from 65-80 to keep it around 70), which again they said is "normal." The car also pulls to the left a little, but despite them doing an alignment under warranty it still pulls a little more than I think it should. Are you guys aware of any TSB's for these issues?

·
Thecatbite
12 Posts
Kinda Harsh dude to judge a BAD ASS car line up over one issue! SkyActive 2012 was new. Like Any car kinks to work out. More Power To Your BABY Leaf! ;X

·
Registered
4 Posts
im happy and sad i found this thread. happy because now i know im not crazy for having the same issue as so many others. im sad because there is no fix to the problem . i have had my 3 into 3 different mazda service departments 2 of them said there was nothing wrong with the car even after having the car surge on 2 of the road tests. the 3rd service dept updated the pcm but the surge continues.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I was going around 40MPH and took my foot off the gas because i could see traffic was slowing ahead of me and the car didn't slow down, all I heard was this noise coming from the tranny and had to hit the brakes to get the car to slow down at all, while the sound of the tranny got louder. Kind of scary.
Not as scary as the car not moving sometimes when I step on the gas. Mazda couldn't give a damn about it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've experienced the downshifting surge when I first got my Skyactiv, but it's lessened somewhat. What I'm experiencing now is a surge on up shifting, specifically into 5th gear. Even shifting short, or rolling out the RPM's, when taking it out of 4th and going into 5th, the car accelerates by itself. It's been doing this about 60% of the time. It's clear to hear since I have a Corksport exhaust. I'm thinking of taking it in to get it checked, but from the sounds of it, not many are getting any help.

·
Registered
399 Posts
My transmission still stinks, it's very annoying to have one issue that Mazda refuses to fix while everything else is OK.
It's hard to enjoy driving this car the way it is and I will most likely get rid of it before the warranty is up

161 - 180 of 189 Posts