2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 189 Posts

·
Da belle of da ball.
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else with the 6MT get a weird downshift surge? Let's say you're in 4th slowing down. When I downshift to 3rd, I have my foot ever so lightly on the gas and when I let out the clutch the car will accelerate. It happens maybe twice a week and I downshift the same every time. It doesn't happen enough for me to be confident in taking it to the dealer for them to experience it and I'm thinking it's the stupid throttle by wire that's getting confused to what I want to do.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've had the same thing happen on my car too though I've never been able to replicate it ..... seems to happen just at random times. I figured it was just me giving it more throttle than noraml on accident but like you, I'm usually downshifting the same way.

·
Da belle of da ball.
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It happened again a half hour ago. I was in 4th slowing down and put it into 3rd to maintain speed. Had my foot just barely on the throttle and when the clutch came out, the car started accelerating.

Sent from space.

·
Da belle of da ball.
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's the scenario the best I can describe it. I'm cruising at 45 in 4th. Coming into a 30mph zone, I'll let off the gas and the speed will drop, around 30-35, I'll put the car into 3rd with my foot still on the pedal in neutral. The rpms fall so my foot isn't pressing the gas very much. The clutch comes out, now I'm in 3rd and it accelerates like I've got the pressed gas about half way in. When I let go of the pedal, there's basically no travel confirming that my foot was barely on it.

It's very strange. I've been driving almost 20 years and have never had this kind of sensation while downshifting.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am glad somebody brought this up because it has happened to me about a dozen times (8000 miles). The first couple of times I thought I was giving to much gas while releasing the clutch but that is not the case. And this only happens downshifting into 3rd gear. It usually happens when I down shift to make a turn going at about 25 mph. It is hard to recreate because it is random.

I have tried recreating it by releasing the clutch quick but it is not the same acceleration rate as when this surge occurs.

I am puzzled as to what is going on. If it was an issue with the gas paddle input (drive by wire accelerator) somehow thinking that there is more paddle input, this would be happening in other gears. But this only happens in 3rd gear.

·
Da belle of da ball.
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am glad somebody brought this up because it has happened to me about a dozen times (8000 miles)...
So I'm not going crazy! Yeah it's really weird, right? I posted this in nasioc's skyactiv thread, too, and got linked back to another engine rev thread here. It mostly happens in third for me, but it has happened in 4th as well.

Thanks for trying it out, Juan.

Sent from space.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
I'll tell you that its not just skyactiv though because my car will do that ever so rarely!

·
Registered
18 Posts
This has happened to me as well. It has happened at least twice in the first 250 miles since I bought the car. Wasn't sure what to make of it?

·
Registered
26 Posts
The same is happening to me. Just bought a 2012 Mazda3 Skyavtiv 6 MT. Have only had the car ~1 1/2 months and have noticed it surging while downshifting about 8 times now.

I contacted the dealership and have had the car in to the service dept. twice so far. The first time a diagnostic was run and surprise, surprise, nothing related to my concern was detected. The software was updated and that was it. The second time in was early this week and they downloaded data from the car's computer and sent it to Mazda Canada.

Obviously they can not find a problem, nor can they do anything until they experience the surging. Frustrating as heck. I have tried, like others to recreate it but cannot not, so how am I able to take the car in for servicing and have it do it then???

The dealership has arranged for a rental and for me to leave my car with them to drive in hopes they will see it. I am not too confident about them experiencing it as it is so sporadic and hit and miss.

Has anyone else taken this concern above their dealership to corporate? I am ready to request a new car or my $ back.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I just had it happen for the first time the other day. I hit my usual heel/toe down shift to 2nd for the final left turn to my work and suddenly found the car going a lot faster then it should have. I'll mention it when I take my car in to adjust the personal settings.

·
Da belle of da ball.
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I haven taken it in yet. But it's been happening less frequently. Maybe I've adjusted my downshift habits subconsciously, but I can only remember I happening once in the last few months.

Sent from the shitty autoguide app.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My local dealer has been in contact with Mazda Canada (and their tech support and engineers). Everyone seems to be very interested in the positioning of the HVAC controls. Now I am trying to keep track of whether the A/C is on or off, what location is the air blowing, is the fan on or off, etc. Hmmmmmm.

I also seem to be experiencing the surging less often. Makes it very hard to diagnose. It has been ~ 2 weeks since it last happened. Of course it did not happen when the dealer had the car for a week.

Has anyone else gone to the dealer and have any ideas what could be the issue?

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 189 Posts