2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last weekend i was merging onto the highway when the transmission failed to shift despite the movement of the shifter.
i had the car towed.
Began trouble shooting and found the car appears frozen in 3rd gear.
Transmission shifts or appears to shift while running or off with the clutch depressed.
Once the clutch is released with the get shifter apparently in neutral the car stalls.
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,246 Posts
So last weekend i was merging onto the highway when the transmission failed to shift despite the movement of the shifter.
i had the car towed.
Began trouble shooting and found the car appears frozen in 3rd gear.
Transmission shifts or appears to shift while running or off with the clutch depressed.
Once the clutch is released with the get shifter apparently in neutral the car stalls.
Any help would be appreciated.

How many miles on the 7yr old transmission?

·
Registered
958 Posts
Sounds like maybe your shifter cables called it quits. I doubt anything catestrophic actually busted inside the transmission.

I’d start with looking into that first. Remove the airbox to access the shifter cables on the transmission. Move the levers around and find neutral. Then start the car and check that it’s now in neutral and you’re able to release the clutch pedal without stalling.

Report your findings.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the car has 127000 km on it, removed shifter cables but unsure where neutral is in the lever.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
played around with the shifter on top of the trans found neutral and still stalls upon release of the clutch

·
Registered
958 Posts
Hmmmmm. Then the next logical failure point is the pressure plate. Perhaps one of the fins broke off or something.

Could also be something inside the transmission.

At this point, you’ve gotta drop the trans and see what’s up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
How do you know it's in neutral?

I think you'll need a helper here. Have your helper sit in the car and shift through the gears while you watch the transmission. Does it look like it's shifting properly?

Does it feel like it's shifting when you move the stick?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i had a friend get in and move the shifter while i was under the hood.yes it feels like its shifting but not fully engaging in third.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts