2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 GT Sport with advance keyless entry.

Every time after I park, turn off engine, step out of the car, close the door, immediately I hear a single beep. This is not the automatic door lock beep since I am still near the door and I checked that the door is not locked.
Once I am a few steps away from the door, I hear another beep and the sound of the door locking automatically.

What is that first beep? I flipped through the manual and couldn't find anything about it.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Fyi, mine does the same thing. Always thought it was to let you know that the timer count down for the auto lock started. But never, really thought about it.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
That's normal. It's the same on the 2014+ with the auto lock feature. When you close the door and you're within 3 feet from the car it'll beep once, letting you know system ready. Second beep when you walk away and that's when the door locks. I guess it's just a confirmation so you don't walk away thinking the door is locked when it isn't.

·
Registered
422 Posts
That's normal. It's the same on the 2014+ with the auto lock feature. When you close the door and you're within 3 feet from the car it'll beep once, letting you know system ready. Second beep when you walk away and that's when the door locks. I guess it's just a confirmation so you don't walk away thinking the door is locked when it isn't.
Which has happened to me twice. For whatever reason the auto lock didn't lock. So now I actually listen for that first beep because as you said, it's kind of like the car telling you it knows you got out and it will take it from here.

By the time the actual lock beep happens, I can be far enough away to barely hear it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Which has happened to me twice. For whatever reason the auto lock didn't lock. So now I actually listen for that first beep because as you said, it's kind of like the car telling you it knows you got out and it will take it from here.

By the time the actual lock beep happens, I can be far enough away to barely hear it.
Further to the correct information above, it is also telling you that all the doors are properly shut, that is you or your passengers have not left one partially open. So you get a beep on the last door being fully closed. (my wife often doesn't shut hers fully).0:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah that makes sense! I just got my GT last Saturday and still trying to understand all the sound it is making =D

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yep, confirmation all doors are closed + the key is out of the car and autolock will happen if you don't open another door in the time limit or walk out of key range.

Second beep is lock actually happened.

Get used to listening carefully for the first beep. If you think you closed the door and walk away without hearing that beep the car won't lock - check your doors. I usually haven't closed the door or hatch hard enough when this happens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts