2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 S Touring has 25,000 miles on it. Original tires so this may be a tire issue I am not sure. I am hearing a whine/singing sound when I speed up and slow down and typically hear it at lower speeds. I don't think it is the transmission but not sure. Has anyone experienced this?

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Any vibrations (through the pedals, floorboard, or steering column) associated with the whine?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Could be something stuck on one of the rotors rubbing against it possibly scratching it and making that whining/singing noise.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Nope no vibrations or anything.
Hmmmm. I recently had a warped wheel hub bearing (left-front) that produced a noticeable whine at speed, but also accompanied by a vibration. But your issue doesn't sound like that, esp. since you're noticing it at lower speeds.

As already suggested, could be something caught in and slightly rubbing your brakes. Uneven wear (or even cupping/scalloping) of tires is a possibility, but that'd produce more of a rumble than a whine and be more pronounced at higher speeds (plus there'd be some vibration). How do your tire treads look?

If the sound seems to be emanating from the engine bay, could be belts or a pump.

Sorry. Wish I could be of more help! Hopefully someone else will chime in....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts