2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All,

I've been following\reading all the threads on the different Axle Backs we can get for the 2014+ Mazda 3's. People go back and forth as to which produces the deepest sound, or ricey sound, but we all know it boils down to personal preference.

I want to get an Axle back for mine, but and more concerned with overall "loudness" and not as much if it sounds like a V8
Basically in the morning, when I leave for work, I don't want to wake up the family sleeping, or my neighbors as I leave.. but when I stomp on the gas, I want to hear it
Ideally, I'd like to have something with deep tones, but not loud and poppy.

Regardless, I thought it may be interesting to hear from people who have actually heard more than one or have a pretty good idea.

So I thought maybe we could rank based on Loudness (Db levels would be spectacular) and maybe mention if the system has any drone, at what RPM.

So from Loudest to quietest.. how would you rank?

CorkSport

Borla

Racing Beat

Ultimate Racing

Any others? I thought Magnaflow made one but seems their's is a Ca tBack which of course any Cat-Backs will be louder and not comparing apples to apples. Same with J2.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
FYI.. based on just videos and impressions that I got from people.. going from loud to quiet might be...

Borla (the more gurgling\hollow sound)
RacingBeat (the more deep toned)
CorkSport (the more 'fart can' sounding of the bunch)

Maybe?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've heard it goes from

from most loud to least loud, or from what I've read on here.

·
Registered
136 Posts
There is also Ultimate Racing.

·
Registered
367 Posts
That`s my Borla vid :)

In my quest to find what I wanted, CorkSport was the most obnoxious. I don`t mean that in a bad way, I just mean that it was the loudest and most raspy.

RB was not discernibly different from CS.

Magnaflow was my primary choice at first because it was smoother sounding and just richer sounding that the CS, not as loud. I would have gone with MF if I didn`t get the deal I did on Borla (I do not regret the Borla, MF just had what I wanted early in my quest)

My Borla is only loud when I`m really getting on it. Even standing right behind my car when we were doing the dyno pulls, it wasn`t that loud. I can say that in my experience thus far, Borla is the smoothest. Yesterday I put down one layer of Dynamat in the hatch area and dare I say it`s near stock quiet on the inside.

FWIW, I made my decision on this logic: I wanted my car not to sound like every other big muffler import on the block. You hear those and pay absolutely no attention, like hearing a Fox body mustang with Flowmasters. I wanted people to hear mine and think "oh wow, that car sounds not quite like the fart can imports. I wonder what makes that car sound like that...".

·
Super Moderator
5,675 Posts
All,

I've been following\reading all the threads on the different Axle Backs we can get for the 2014+ Mazda 3's. People go back and forth as to which produces the deepest sound, or ricey sound, but we all know it boils down to personal preference.

I want to get an Axle back for mine, but and more concerned with overall "loudness" and not as much if it sounds like a V8
Basically in the morning, when I leave for work, I don't want to wake up the family sleeping, or my neighbors as I leave.. but when I stomp on the gas, I want to hear it
Ideally, I'd like to have something with deep tones, but not loud and poppy.

Regardless, I thought it may be interesting to hear from people who have actually heard more than one or have a pretty good idea.

So I thought maybe we could rank based on Loudness (Db levels would be spectacular) and maybe mention if the system has any drone, at what RPM.

So from Loudest to quietest.. how would you rank?

CorkSport

Borla

Racing Beat

Ultimate Racing

Any others? I thought Magnaflow made one but seems their's is a Ca tBack which of course any Cat-Backs will be louder and not comparing apples to apples. Same with J2.
The Ultimate Racing catback is actually very quiet. The tone is somewhat deeper than the factory muffler at idle but not as loud. At speed, the interior of the car seems quieter also. Cruising at 40 mph in third gear down my street the exhaust is barely noticeable. On the highway at 80 in 6th gear, there is more wind noise than exhaust sound. :smile2: Translation: zero drone noticed at any speed.
On the other hand, really lay into it and it makes all the right noises. Stand on the loud pedal and its reminiscent of a 60s era British sports car. Its not at all unpleasant:smile2: Deep resonating but not wake-dead-loud. Well done!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts