2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else get silly gear change suggestions Like I'll be doing 30mph in 4th Gear and up pops 4->2 or 25mph in 3rd and up pops 3->1 40mpg 5th Gear 5->3 etc.

Is it just mine only had the car just under a week

·
Registered
245 Posts
Were you going up or down a hill in those situations? I don't know about the newest generation, but my 2015 (2.5L manual transmission hatch) will sometimes suggest going down a gear or two depending on engine load, but I've only seen this happen when driving up or down a steep hill (I'm in Colorado, USA). For example, it will suggest shifting from 6 to 5 when going up a steep hill, which is a good thing to protect the engine from heavy load and low RPM. Or it will suggest dropping from 6 to 4 on a downhill to help with engine braking. In these cases, it's a good suggestion that can protect the engine (and brakes).

I've never seen it suggest going from 3 to 1. If you were on flat terrain, then that would seem like an odd suggestion.

·
Super Moderator
5,688 Posts
They all do that. The suggested gear changes are mpg related for best possible fuel economy at any given time.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I can picture my watermelon mojito smoothie splashing all over the console of my car if I downshifted from fourth to second.

·
Super Moderator
5,688 Posts
You should know when to shift as a manual driver.
This. Keeping the motor in the appropriate rpm range is up to you. The car should not have to remind you to shift gears...

If you are trying to accelerate from 30 mph in 4th gear the car your rpms might be to low for optimum fuel use, ie the engine is lugging a bit, struggling to go even though you are using more than enough fuel, more than you might by using a lower gear and getting into a more acceptable rpm range.

·
Working Class Hero
3,627 Posts
I've never seen the shift suggestion suggest anything other than minimum rpm. I wish they had used the space for a temp guage.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,688 Posts
I've never seen the shift suggestion suggest anything other than minimum rpm. I wish they had used the space for a temp guage.

That in fact can be re-configured apparently. Mat at OVT was working on this very thing a while back and was discussing the possibilities on another forum a while back. Don't know if anything ever became of it.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I have a 2017 car. I don't use the indicator but haven't seen the downshifts you see. I do see suggestions to shift up a gear - usually 4-5 or 5-6

·
Working Class Hero
3,627 Posts
That in fact can be re-configured apparently. Mat at OVT was working on this very thing a while back and was discussing the possibilities on another forum a while back. Don't know if anything ever became of it.
I just find it a source of amusement at this point. I've been rowing my own gears for so long that it's become second nature and usually happens by sound or feel.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,372 Posts
Meh..it's useful every now and then. I only follow it when going downhill though... It tells you the optimal gear for engine braking, which is something that I'm working very hard at mastering.

These Mazda brake pads wear down like they were made out of butter or something... USE BRAKES AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE OR START A FUND FOR NEW ROTORS/PADS.
CK

·
Super Moderator
5,688 Posts
I just find it a source of amusement at this point. I've been rowing my own gears for so long that it's become second nature and usually happens by sound or feel.

Yeah, I pretty much just ignore it mostly....It would be nice if something else were there in its place though.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yes all happens on the flat
Are you trying to accelerate from those speeds when the shift suggestion pops up, or just holding a steady speed? Maybe as arathol hinted, if you're trying to accelerate, it may suggest a different gear to get the revs up and ease the engine load. But I have no idea why it would suggest a 2 cog downshift if you're just holding a steady speed on flat terrain.

Which engine/HP do you have? My 2.5L/185hp has no problem accelerating reasonably from 25mph in 3rd, 30mph in 4th, or 40mph in 5th, so that really does seem odd. But maybe if you have the 2.0L it likes to rev a bit more, since it doesn't have as much low torque as the larger engine. Or maybe the gearing is different in the 2.0L or in the new generation?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Holding a steady speed, it varies lot today hit 25mph in 3rd tells me to go to 2nd next time I hit 25mph it tell me go to 4th so not consistent

2.0 Petrol 122bhp

I just ignore it but just seems strange

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a Skyactiv 2.5L/185HP manual, and have seen the same. I think the car suggests to downshift a couple of gears sometimes to optimize fuel consumption...
I use to drive in heavy traffic daily, and in traffic jams weekly at least, and that happened many times. However, I never saw an indication to downshift to first, ever.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts