2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hello, I noticed a small crack on the side wall of my driver's side rear tire. Should I be worried about this?

I have a Mazda 3 2017 GT.

Thank you in advance.
You absolutely should. This looks dangerous.

Reactions: Reydan3

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, it is a good thing that I have the extended warranty =)

I scheduled an app for tomorrow.

BTW, when I do decide to replace my stock tires, which ones would recommend?

·
Registered
35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,301 Posts
Not a small crack. That tire will fail, and very soon, especially if you are at speed on the highway. You might have road hazard coverage if you got the tire warranty, so don't let them tell you that you need to buy a new tire out-right. That is most certainly some sort of impact damage, there is a fairly noticeable mark on the rim that corresponds with the tire damage.

There is whole discussion on this
There are in fact numerous discussions on this.......take your pick.

·
Rubber side down
272 Posts
I'm amazed that thing is still holding any air. How the heck did you crack it like that?

Sidewalls have much less rubber than the contact surface of the tire. I am willing to bet you can see steel ply if you look into the crack. Not much rubber left holding pressure.

Damage to a car isn't always bad news. Often times it is an excuse to upgrade ;) Time for some better tires!

·
Super Moderator
752 Posts
Get it replaced asap!

·
Registered
301 Posts
When I used to live in Virginia we had annual vehicle inspections as part of the smog check. They would check everything, and I failed one year for tire sidewall cracks that were less severe than this. I was glad someone forced me (essentially) to replace the tires because I would have kept driving on them.

Take advantage of this situation and use it as an opportunity to get better tires and some peace of mind.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thank you guys, got it replaced at no cost to me. The extended insurance covered it. They told me that it is possible that the cosmetic damage to the rims will be covered as well. They gave me an appointment for next week.

Yes, I would love to get new tires, probably the continental ones everyone keeps mentioning. However, at 24k miles my tire threads are still holding up really well (currently at level 9), and it would cost nearly 1k to get new tires... so :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts