2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to get the music to shuffle by album instead of song (within a playlist or a folder on a USB drive)?

I've so far failed to get that to work?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Haha, I doubt it. I can't even get mine to play the songs on one album in the proper order. I wish I had a lot more free time to write my own music player app for this system, as the factory one is absolutely terrible.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Is there any way to get the music to shuffle by album instead of song (within a playlist or a folder on a USB drive)?
Do you mean randomly play albums, but the songs in order within the album? No, and I'm not sure I've seen that anywhere else, but it would be cool.

Haha, I doubt it. I can't even get mine to play the songs on one album in the proper order. I wish I had a lot more free time to write my own music player app for this system, as the factory one is absolutely terrible.
Have you tried using FATSort on your files? It plays things in filesystem order. After FATSort mine play in order using file view. I don't know about album or artist view, but I know that voice search screws up the order regardless.

I'd probably be fine losing all other functionality of the infotainment if the system basically booted to Rockbox.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you mean randomly play albums, but the songs in order within the album? No, and I'm not sure I've seen that anywhere else, but it would be cool.… Have you tried using FATSort on your files? It plays things in filesystem order. After FATSort mine play in order using file view. …*I'd probably be fine losing all other functionality of the infotainment if the system basically booted to Rockbox.
Yes, that's exactly what I mean. And I've seen that in every car I've owned, been in, or rented – made in the past 10 years – except this one. Shuffle generally has 3 modes: off, songs, and albums. I was shocked this doesn't. It's one of the many things I want to complain loudly about. It wouldn't be that hard to write a good music player function.

I don't know what either FATsort or Rockbox is, but I get the sense that many people here are much more comfortable modding their systems than I am. I'd like to see Mazda produce a stable and fast and feature-rich system based on customer input.

Sounds like FATsort is run on your computer though? (I have a Mac.)

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,336 Posts
You can encode the albums into single files and then the shuffle song feature would do what you are after.

If you don't care about playing individual tracks, that would be the easiest solution.
CK

·
Registered
79 Posts
I don't know what either FATsort or Rockbox is, but I get the sense that many people here are much more comfortable modding their systems than I am. I'd like to see Mazda produce a stable and fast and feature-rich system based on customer input.

Sounds like FATsort is run on your computer though? (I have a Mac.)
FATSort only operates on the USB stick and doesn't require modding. I'm not a Mac guy but "fatsort mac" google results show some promise. It reorders the files on the filesystem so the car loads them in the right order (it uses filesystem order and not filename nor track tags). There are threads here about it.

Rockbox was an alternate firmware for mp3 players and works much better. A similar, powerful music app for the car, like Rockbox, would be great.

You can submit issues to Mazda, but they can only pass along items to the developers. And I read somewhere here that someone got a response to use Bluetooth as they don't seem very interested in improving USB support. It's sad that a $30 Sansa Clip works better at browsing and playing music than this thing. The stupid thing is that if they'd open up the system they'd instantly have a bunch of developers improve it for them for free. Look how much we've done here without any help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts