2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Mazda 3 with the 2.0L European spec skyactiv with the manual gearbox.
In the recent weeks, every morning that I move the car from a standstill for the first few kilometers, I can notice that the car makes a juddering noise.

Sounds something like a ta-ta-ta-ta sound, where the engine is revving, but the wheels do not seem to get this drive. I have had it checked out by the mechanic and they seem to suggest to wait it out for a while.

I was not sure if this is a potentially serious issue that I must push for to be fixed immediately. So thought that I will hear if such issues have been known to occur, potential pointers, and points that might come in handy when talking to the dealer, etc..

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Could be the clutch slipping....hard to say, we don't have much info to go on here. Could also be an issue with the hydraulics.

What temperatures are we talking about here?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it is probably the clutch too. I do not have enough points yet to publish an audio recording that I made. Hopefully soon enough (I'm not sure what the threshold is for posting attachments is in this forum).

I've noticed this happening only after summer started. Around 12-16 degree Celsius in the mornings.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Let me try to summarize some of the issues that I am facing with the dealer lately.
Since the shuddering happens only at low temperatures, and does not occur every time, I having difficulty showing it to my dealer. I even tried parking the car at the dealers' overnight to show it to them in the morning.
One of the guys in the dealership has felt the juddering in the car, but still says that it is inconclusive and can be something that goes away with time. Since I have been feeling this for around a month now, I am not convinced. The dealer seems to agree with me in general, but still does not want to go ahead and open up the transmission yet.

I would really appreciate if you could give me some arguments that I could use with the dealer to get this resolved. Perhaps someone who has had similar issues, etc., how they diagnosed it might come in very handy for me.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Usually you can put some higher load on the clutch to try and see if it will slip. Gearing up while going up a hill can do it, within reason of course.

With slipping you'll feel the shaking like you describe but the engine rpms will also jump up and down with each slip.

I wonder if the flywheel runout is off. Might be slightly out of spec for flatness but as it warms up the dimensions change just enough so that there's no slip.

Hard to say. I'm throwing out a guess here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't tried the higher gear on a slope trick, since I can feel it even on a flat road in 1st, I was worried of burning out the clutch. I will try to figure out a way of having a cold car on a slope in the coming days.

Also, many thanks for the flywheel runout suggestion. I will bring it up with the dealer and see what he says.

Below are a couple of other recordings that I made where the sound is more noticeable. Perhaps you could take a listen and see if it rings any other bells.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qsco7atwgiu8qwo/Car3.m4a?dl=0 : Noise at 16 - 18 second mark and 49 - 50 s mark.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1p3odkfe8e7o14r/Car4.m4a?dl=0 : Noise at 23 - 24 s and 1 min 12 - 1 min 14 s mark.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Do you still get the shuddering while engaging the clutch at a higher RPMs like 1000-1500 rpm?

I get the same shuddering on damp cool mornings and just keep revs up to compensate until things warm up in a minute. This has been happening to my car for the last couple of years (2014 MAzda 2.0 Manual, 175,000 km)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, I do not notice the shuddering at higher revs. I have been doing the same lately to avoid hurting things anymore.

However, my dealer has agreed to take a look by disassembling the clutch and the flywheel in the coming weeks. I will post an update when I can share more.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, the car has finally been to the dealer and back. Apparently the flywheel was out of spec. The allowed tolerance was 0.1 mm while the measured was 0.3 mm. Hopefully this helps someone out later ...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I get hard shuddering in first, a little in second, and sometimes in fourth; i think that may be due to my actual fourth gear and not the clutch/flywheel/pressure plate assembly, when my transmission is cold. And honestly ever since I got the car I noticed the transmission has been real finicky until up to temperature and then i started experiencing these shudder issues in my clutch around 200 miles ago. I'm at 57,95ish right now. So I decided to search clutch shudder in Mazda 3 and, well, I was shocked at what u found. Would going with a lightweight flywheel and a stage 1 aftermarket clutch kit if they're available for our cars fix the issue?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts