2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Angelos The scores pleas!
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m sure you’re already aware but the gearknob feels terrible! I’m looking for inspiration for a new one! I definitely want one that is weighted, MX5 ones would be an improvement, I feel.

So please, share away!

·
Registered
46 Posts
So I’m sure you’re already aware but the gearknob feels terrible! I’m looking for inspiration for a new one! I definitely want one that is weighted, MX5 ones would be an improvement, I feel.

So please, share away!
The MX-5 one is definitely an improvement. Only reason I haven't gone for it is the red stitching. It looks really out of place...

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,444 Posts
Here is my MX-5 knob.

I think it looks like it came with the car, it has a great feel and the added weight makes for smoother shifts.
CK

Attachments

Reactions: Cowboyking

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yeah, the stock knob looks and feels very cheap. I installed a Raceseng "Sphereology" weighted shift knob. The heavier weight (470 grams vs 100-ish grams for the OEM knob) definitely smooths out the shifting noticeably. The Raceseng knob is solid stainless steel with a Deltrin (plastic) outer sleave. It is impeccably constructed and finished (made in USA). The satin finish also well matches the interior trim. It was quite expensive ($145), but hey, quality comes at a price.

Unfortunately, there was almost a 1" gap between the knob and the top of the boot. I had to dismantle the center console and shifter trim to install some M10 nylon washers underneath the boot to raise it.

Attachments

Reactions: Cowboyking

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,444 Posts

·
Angelos The scores pleas!
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all and I apologise for the crap spelling in the thread title, I was in between shovelling food in my face and typing on my slow as arseholes iPad!

Just out of curiosity how difficult is it to swap out the knob before I go nuts (innuendo central here!) and end up breaking something , is it the case of simply pulling/ twisting til it’s off, measuring with a caliper and then ordering a new one? Is the mx5 one, for example, OE level fit? Thank you all once again!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thank you all and I apologise for the crap spelling in the thread title, I was in between shovelling food in my face and typing on my slow as arseholes iPad!

Just out of curiosity how difficult is it to swap out the knob before I go nuts (innuendo central here!) and end up breaking something , is it the case of simply pulling/ twisting til it’s off, measuring with a caliper and then ordering a new one? Is the mx5 one, for example, OE level fit? Thank you all once again!
It literally just twists off (phrasing). I know the miata one doesn't screw all the way down since it is physically shorter, which like with some of the other aftermarket options requires a spacer to get the boot to sit nicely. You'll have to remove the console in most cases. >>> https://imgur.com/a/3APc1 (17+)

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,444 Posts
For the MX-5 knob, I had to slide 4 or 5 metal washers under the shifter boot to make the knob sit flush.

First, take the OEM knob off and screw in your new knob. Grab a stack of washers and place them next the gap that is inbetween the shifter boot and the knob, so that you will know how many washers you will need.

Now we remove the shifter boot, which is a pretty simple process. First, unscrew the knob (lefty loosey) and then start pushing inward around the edges of the shifter boot until you are able to wiggle it free from its clasps. Then slide it up and over the arm and slide your stack of washers down the shifter arm.

I then replaced the shifter boot and pushed the outer edges back into place. I screwed the new MX-5 knob in real tight and it sits perfectly flush, with no movement or rattling at all.
CK

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,444 Posts
And now I know what Snooker is... Live and learn!
CK

Reactions: kota62
1 - 15 of 15 Posts