2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this. Front right camber measurement is -1.6. See pic for all other alignment values. Am I gonna have horrible tire wear and tire life? I was told that doing something with the front right struts and mount could improve the camber but not make it perfect. Is this true? Would it be worth it? Thanks so much
Green Rectangle Font Line Parallel

·
Super Moderator
7,231 Posts
I'd be having a look to see why the numbers are so far off....
Ignore the green/red colors, those are just indicators for inept techs who don't know how to get an alignment done properly, The green indicates within factory specs, red is outside factory specs. The factory specs are pretty broad, so if the tech just "gets it in the green" that doesn't mean your alignment is actually good. Those numbers are all over the place. Find a better shop that can actually align the car using the numbers, not the colors....
The -1.6 is not bad, its actually preferable to have a bit of negative camber in a FWD car with MacPherson struts. Its the 0.0 on the left thats a problem.....
Are the shocks/struts original? If they are its time for new ones.
As to wear, no, a couple degrees of camber won't wear the tires unevenly. What causes the uneven wear is when the change in toe resulting from changing camber isn't corrected.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd be having a look to see why the numbers are so far off....
Ignore the green/red colors, those are just indicators for inept techs who don't know how to get an alignment done properly, The green indicates within factory specs, red is outside factory specs. The factory specs are pretty broad, so if the tech just "gets it in the green" that doesn't mean your alignment is actually good. Those numbers are all over the place. Find a better shop that can actually align the car using the numbers, not the colors....
The -1.6 is not bad, its actually preferable to have a bit of negative camber in a FWD car with MacPherson struts. Its the 0.0 on the left thats a problem.....
Are the shocks/struts original? If they are its time for new ones.
As to wear, no, a couple degrees of camber won't wear the tires unevenly. What causes the uneven wear is when the change in toe resulting from changing camber isn't corrected.
Thanks so much for your reply. It was a salvage car that was in an accident on the right front so that’s why the camber is so off… should I try to get the left side to be negative too so that they’re more equal? Do you think this is a huge problem and should I try to get rid of the car? Like am I gonna have to pour thousands and thousands of dollars into it due to the uneven camber? Or can I keep tire wear and other problems resulting from uneven camber under control if I just get the toe aligned every 5,000 miles? Thank you again!

·
Super Moderator
7,231 Posts
If you don't know what to look for you'll need to take it to a shop and have a mechanic determine what the problem is. Its the only way to really find out whats going on.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
3,421 Posts
You can use camber bolts for +/- 1.5 degrees of camber.

SPC and Moog makes them.

Buy them and take it back for a new alignment at a frame and alignment shop.
CK

·
Registered
98 Posts
I would buy camber bolts for the front, and reset camber back to no more than -1.0 or closer to -.5 camber if you don’t care much about handling. The 0 camber is just as bad as the -1.6
I would also set Front and Rear Toe to 0 for handling, or .10 if you aren’t going for handling.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts