2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi fellow 3's,

Second post (first was at the new member thread :)). So I have a stock 2009 Mazda3 I that I purchased in Oct 2008. I have not done any tune ups and I only have 45k miles on the car, I work very close to home and not much of long distance driving.

For the past few months I've felt the engine sluggish, it has OK pick-up when I 'step on it' but it rough idles at times when stopped in a light. So I am starting to think it's time to tuneup.

I just dont know what to take into consideration in my situation, the length of time that I've had the car (5 years of wear) or the low mileage which mean that there should be still more life in the spark plugs.

Should I tuneup or not?

Also, is it fairly simple to do a tuneup on a mazda3?

Thanks!
ceez
:thumbup 1:

ps- also note that I live in constant hot weather and that takes an extra toll on wear and tear.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hi fellow 3's,

Second post (first was at the new member thread :)). So I have a stock 2009 Mazda3 I that I purchased in Oct 2008. I have not done any tune ups and I only have 45k miles on the car, I work very close to home and not much of long distance driving.

For the past few months I've felt the engine sluggish, it has OK pick-up when I 'step on it' but it rough idles at times when stopped in a light. So I am starting to think it's time to tuneup.

I just dont know what to take into consideration in my situation, the length of time that I've had the car (5 years of wear) or the low mileage which mean that there should be still more life in the spark plugs.

Should I tuneup or not?

Also, is it fairly simple to do a tuneup on a mazda3?

Thanks!
ceez

ps- also note that I live in constant hot weather and that takes an extra toll on wear and tear.
Tuneups on these cars are straight forward and inexpensive. There are walk through's on forums and also Autozone has a decent online vehicle repair guide that is free.

Here are a few things I would do if they have not been done already. I'm assuming that you have been doing regular oil/filter changes.

1. Coolant flush
2. Brake fluid flush
3. Change air filter
4. Spark plugs (service interval is every 75K miles, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to change them a little sooner). Autolite XP5364 is a good affordable replacement plug.
5. Replace trans fluid with either new ATF if you have an auto, or high quality synthetic gear oil if you have a manual.

If you have any other questions, just ask.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Adam, thanks for the reply.

I found sound videos online and the tuneups are ridiculously easy...and that's comparing it to some previous cars I've had before (thunderbird, tercel and mustang). this one is a breeze.

I do my oil changes regularly and only have done the air filter from the list you mentioned.

Like you say, it wouldn't hurt to do it earlier which I dont mind doing, but what do you think I should take into consideration for the maintenance? the miles or the time I've had the car. Again, I've had it since October of 2008 and only have 45k, the same plugs for 6 years but 30k before the suggested change. Similar to my oil change, it takes sometimes up to 6 months to get to 3k miles, I just feel bad and get it changed before I reach the 3K.

thanks again!
ceez

·
Registered
296 Posts
Like you say, it wouldn't hurt to do it earlier which I dont mind doing, but what do you think I should take into consideration for the maintenance? the miles or the time I've had the car. Again, I've had it since October of 2008 and only have 45k, the same plugs for 6 years but 30k before the suggested change. Similar to my oil change, it takes sometimes up to 6 months to get to 3k miles, I just feel bad and get it changed before I reach the 3K.

thanks again!
ceez
It's a good idea to change out the plugs every 5 years regardless of mileage. If plugs stay in too long, they can essentially weld themselves to the head and then you're in for some real fun ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
holy crap.....well i guess I have a little project for this weekend (or the following ;))

I figured that time does play a role.

thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts