2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As noted in another thread (post #2335), I recently picked up a set of 17x7 OEM alloys that came off a 2006-2008 (NC) Mazda MX5/Miata.

I plan on replacing my OEM 16x6.5 steelies with these MX5 wheels.

3 of the MX5 wheels have "clip-on" style weights on their inside lip (see 1st and 2nd pics below).

2 also have "stick-on" style weights attached to the inside of the wheel-barrel, nearest the face of the wheel (see 3rd and 4th pics below).

1 is completely "clean" and has none of these clip-on or stick-on wheel weights.

Should I remove the wheel weights before mounting new tires and putting the MX5 wheels on my vehicle?

Any advice or insights would be most welcome and greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Reactions: Kevin_G

·
Registered
136 Posts
If you remove them, you'll need to balance them again after mounting the tires. Wheels/tires that are out of balance can mess with your alignment and gas mileage as well as the life of your tires.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you remove them, you'll need to balance them again after mounting the tires. Wheels/tires that are out of balance can mess with your alignment and gas mileage as well as the life of your tires.
Thx for responding @2fingermagic . I'm still slightly confused by your feedback and was maybe not entirely clear in the OP.

I'm still running on my original steelies at present. I bought the used MX5 rims yesterday, and they have no tires on them.

I'm assuming that when I purchase and have new tires mounted on the MX5 rims, the whole new tire & MX5 rim assembly will have to be balanced before being installed on my car, correct? If so, then I'm presuming that new (additional) wheel weights will need to be added by the mechanics.

So, I guess my question is: should I leave the old wheel weights that came on the MX5 rims in place? Or should I have the old wheel weights removed first and then mount and balance the new tires? (Again, balancing the new tires will probably require the mechanics to add entirely new wheel weights.)

Apologies for my rambling and confusion! :blushing:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Wherever you take the wheels to have the tires mounted and balanced will remove the weights. Just keep in mind that they will not do a great job. The old glue will be left behind so you will have to remove it yourself. But to answer your initial question, yes, the old wheel weights have to be removed to do a new balance

Don

Reactions: nanxun

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many thanks @Dadillac and @cjbigcog for helping to clarify things for me! Much appreciated.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I have found that using GOO-GONE works great with a old towel, let it sit for minute and it should rub off. You might have to use some muscle if it's been on there a while.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have found that using GOO-GONE works great with a old towel, let it sit for minute and it should rub off. You might have to use some muscle if it's been on there a while.
Thx so much for the tip! I'll look into it. :thumbup1 1:

·
Registered
191 Posts
...I recently picked up a set of 17x7 OEM alloys that came off a 2006-2008 (NC) Mazda MX5/Miata.
Please post pictures when you get these on your car! I'm really interested in going the same route ... or the Enkei Fujin. I think the OEM Miata wheels look better at around the same weight.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Please post pictures when you get these on your car! I'm really interested in going the same route ... or the Enkei Fujin. I think the OEM Miata wheels look better at around the same weight.
Thx for your interest @Kevin_G . I will most definitely keep everyone apprised with new posts and photos as things move along. Just have to finish cleaning up the rims (hence this thread), pick up some wheel spacers as well as a set of new tires (post #269 onward), and then get them mounted.

I feel very lucky to have stumbled upon a set of these 10-spoke OEM wheels from the NC MX5 and would strongly recommend buying a set if you see them for sale. They hit that sweet-spot that I call the "impossible trifecta": light-weight (17lbs.), relatively durable (because OEM), and inexpensive ($200 for my set!).

Reactions: Kevin_G
1 - 10 of 10 Posts