2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have performance mods done or ordered on backorder, I want to next address the little things that can make a big difference. I believe I will start with a stage 2 short shift plate kit from Jbarone with hard bushings. I'm curious however before making this purchase, how will it affect my second gear? I have a mild grind problem. Sometimes I can go a week, sometimes I can't go an hour without getting a second gear grind. It's not a major issue yet, and I cannot predict a grind. It sort of just happens whenever. The grind is never one that won't let the gear engage. It always goes in but sometimes with the annoying ass grind sound/feel. Would this be a possible fix to my issue or hinder it, or just not affect it at all? I realize the grind is something internally with the sycros.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The shift plate won't affect it at all. If it grinds now, it will grind after install too.
Thanks a lot! Sorry if its a stupid question, I was just thinking if it takes about 35% of the throw away, obviously the throw is shorter and faster. I just didn't know if that would have some sort of effect on the grind.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Once you installed it... you need to re-adjust the shifter linkage.

Here's an instructions for the ms3's, not sure if its the same for mz3's

Jamiesplanet.com

Reactions: chaabraham

·
zoom~
848 Posts
Are you not kickng the clutch far enough?

Dat plate is not fix for dat grind.

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
As stated before since the shift plate connects to the original linkage you will still have the same problems you had before just a shorter shift. Bushings will help make shifts more solid for sure. But, your grinding won't change. Maybe new tranny oil/adjustment might help out.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yea I have the same prob. Sometimes when I shift to 3rd it grinds at times. I'll look into fine tuning it because the mz3 does have that last time I checked. I'll let ya'll know if there is a difference.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies everybody!

Are you not kickng the clutch far enough?

Dat plate is not fix for dat grind.
The clutch is not an issue, its just the 2nd gear synchro is bad.

As stated before since the shift plate connects to the original linkage you will still have the same problems you had before just a shorter shift. Bushings will help make shifts more solid for sure. But, your grinding won't change. Maybe new tranny oil/adjustment might help out.
Thanks for the info sir, I have tried changing the oils several times. I've used cheaper oil, and more expensive oils (3-4 different oils) still no changes. It works for maybe a few weeks and returns to its normal grinding self..

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
Thanks for the info sir, I have tried changing the oils several times. I've used cheaper oil, and more expensive oils (3-4 different oils) still no changes. It works for maybe a few weeks and returns to its normal grinding self..
What type of transmission oil? Also, a RMM/shifter linkage adjust might help if not I'd take it in if it is under warranty.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I just did the fine tuning on my shifter linkage and surprisingly it feels so much smoother. Before I would have to struggle to put the damn thing in gear. After adjusting it a little, I got much better results. Took it for a test drive and it worked really good! Thanks Oliverms3!

Reactions: Oliverms3

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I just did the fine tuning on my shifter linkage and surprisingly it feels so much smoother. Before I would have to struggle to put the damn thing in gear. After adjusting it a little, I got much better results. Took it for a test drive and it worked really good! Thanks Oliverms3!
:thumbup1 1:

Reactions: jmaister

·
zoom~
848 Posts
Mazda's syncro cannot be that bad.

104,000km on a 2010 2.5, clutch is still strong(pulls on 6th when it can), and shifting is still smooth. That is, with regular maintenance.

Dont forget to lube those cable housing. No lithium grease or wd40, use 3 in 1 or silicon based ol. Sdoing so the housing resistance is out of the picture, especially on top of the transmission.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts