Super Moderator
5,086 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
I also just installed my JBR short shift plate along with the solid cable mounting bracket bushings on 2018 M3 Touring. JBR's instructions were clear and easy to follow.

IMO, the OEM shifter felt ever so slightly "loose" and the throws slightly too long. The JBR shifter mods definately tightened the feel with slight increase in shift effort. I have it set on 20%. I doubt I would try the 40% as the the shift effort would also increase (dramatically?). I also don't want to "strain" the factory cables any more than I have too. I did not buy the shifter base bushings as I felt my car is only 1 year old and the factory bushings can't be than worn out.

Nonetheless, great mod! I wish I had done it earlier.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The cable bushings are included in the CS kit. You have to pay extra for the shifter base bushings though.

I would recommend getting both. They are cheap and well worth it.

It's not fun pulling your shifter apart for the installation (it's not difficult, but I was worried about breaking a clip or something), but the metal bushings make for a much more solid feel when handling the shifter. It really plants the plastic shifter base to the body of your car.
CK

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have bought the short shift plate for the car and had no problems with it for four months on the second shortest setting. Unfortunately, slack was starting to develop in the shifter to the point where I had to investigate the short shifter. The threads which attached to the rod holding the cable had stripped the metal on the shift plate. The rod has quite a bit of free play now, which is probably where the problem was coming from.

The reverse side also looks like the threads on the bolt itself have been sheared off shorter than the original length. The thread marks on the plate itself reveal this.

The problem was remedied once removing the short shifter. Just a warning to those thinking of installing this. The end of the cable linkage also was damaged during the use of the short shifter.

Attachments

21 - 27 of 27 Posts