2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! what short ram intake do you guys recommend for a 2.5L 6speed manual 2011 mazda 3s gt?
I have been comparing Corksport and JBR.

I know the Corksport lets me navigate to the 2010-2013 short ram intake for 2.5L
https://corksport.com/power-series-short-ram-intake-2010-2013-mazda-3-2.5.html

My main question is the difference between the JBR intakes:
I can only find 2.0L for 2010-2013 short ram intake.
JBR Power Path Stage I Short Ram Intake 2.0L Non-SkyActiv [MZ320-PPI-S1] - $180.00 : James Barone Racing, Aftermarket Performance
My car doesn't have skyactiv but does it matter? I see that JBR has a 2.5L short ram intake but its for Skyactiv which is for (2013+)
JBR Power Path Stage I SkyActiv Short Ram Intake 2.5L [SKY25-PPI-S1] - $180.00 : James Barone Racing, Aftermarket Performance

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,498 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
K&N makes a cold air intake for the 2011 2.5L engines.

K&N 69 Typhoon Pt. 69-6013TTK
CK
I dont want to get a cold air intake because in Chicago, lots of streets have a chance to be flooded especially highway entrances and tunnels during heavy rain.
I dont want to risk my engine dying because he cold air intake, taking in water if I accidentally misjudge how deep the flood is on some streets that I am not familiar with.

·
Super Moderator
6,384 Posts
If the water is deep enough to get into that K&N intake hydro lock is going to be the least of your worries...

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,498 Posts
The K&N system I linked to is just an SRI with a heat shield. K&N also makes a sleeve to cover their intake filter that keeps moisture and debris out.

FYI... the original Mazda air intake is a cold air intake with a vent at the front of the engine. Corksport makes a cold air box for their SRI to sit in that replicates this pretty well, if you are that worried.

The car would stall out long before the water ever got to the intake though...
CK

Reactions: Dexterity

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The K&N system I linked to is just an SRI with a heat shield. K&N also makes a sleeve to cover their intake filter that keeps moisture and debris out.

FYI... the original Mazda air intake is a cold air intake with a vent at the front of the engine. Corksport makes a cold air box for their SRI to sit in that replicates this pretty well, if you are that worried.

The car would stall out long before the water ever got to the intake though...
CK
oh lol I thought it was one of those CAI where it is literally pulling air from the bottom, near the fender/wheel of the car.
but cool thanks for the clarification. I guess I can take a look at the K&N SRI with heat shield, and also the Corksport one.
But just curious if you know anything about the JBR one. Or do you recommend only the K&N and Corksport?

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,498 Posts
I installed the K&N in my 2016 3 Sport Touring and am very happy with it. It added a nice engine growl and my engine feels a little more responsive when I'm climbing gears in the higher RPM range.

I am only going off of other people's review of the Corksport SRI and cold air box though. Lots of users on here have installed it and say good things about it.
CK

Reactions: Dexterity

·
Super Moderator
6,384 Posts
But just curious if you know anything about the JBR one. Or do you recommend only the K&N and Corksport?
The model specific intakes are all basically the same. Some have heat shielding in one form or another, some don't. Other than that there is little functional difference between brands. Generic ebay one size fits all intakes you want to steer clear of.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts