2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Random thoughts how some of you shift when racing from a roll. For example 3 honks on a 60 roll do you drop it right into 3rd last minute on 3rd honk and go, or do you already be in the lower gear so no shifting is required when the 3rd honk goes. Dropping it vs. already being in lower gear makes a difference?? What's better/ and or quicker?

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Be in the gear already that puts you on the mid 3000 rpm range where you have the most torque, anticipate the third honk and brake boost if you can so you'll get the jump.
Power shift at 6000 rpm's. Keep the gas floored the whole time, just push in the clutch when you shift. Gas pedal stays floored till the race is over.

If you can't brake boost at least be accelerating slightly so boost comes on quicker. You can put any easy two car lengths on people by brake boosting.
To brake boost on a gen2 MS3 you need to hit the brake before you hit the gas pedal. If you hit the gas before the brake the traction control nannies will cut all your power.

If you already know the other car is way faster than you go on the second honk. Fuck it, your gonna lose anyway. :tongue:

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
all I know is that being in boost ASAP is always best. I would be in gear just before the first honk.

I like what @warlord said about being in the mid-3000 rpm. it gives you a full range of boost to 5.5-5.7k rpm.

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
To brake boost on a gen2 MS3 you need to hit the brake before you hit the gas pedal. If you hit the gas before the brake the traction control nannies will cut all your power.
Golden info right there!!

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Reactions: swerv0428

·
Registered
91 Posts
Be in the gear already that puts you on the mid 3000 rpm range where you have the most torque, anticipate the third honk and brake boost if you can so you'll get the jump.
Power shift at 6000 rpm's. Keep the gas floored the whole time, just push in the clutch when you shift. Gas pedal stays floored till the race is over.

If you can't brake boost at least be accelerating slightly so boost comes on quicker. You can put any easy two car lengths on people by brake boosting.

If you already know the other car is way faster than you go on the second honk. Fuck it, your gonna lose anyway. :tongue:

Wait...you can brake boost?! I thought DSC would cut your power out if you stomp on the brake and have the gas going?

·
Registered
208 Posts

Finally someone who knows how to brake boost in this bitch. Thanks man

·
Registered
17 Posts
Brake boosting is not necessary for a k04. The stock turbo literally spools instantly so theres really no need.

When I was on stock turbo, I would start in 2nd for a 40....wait for the 3rd honk and mash it down, then flat foot into 3rd. This gives you the jump, but takes practice.

sucks for me now cause I get murdered doing a 40 roll cause of wheelspin. 2nd is too low, and 3rd I have to build boost.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts