2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I've seen some previous threads on the issue of shifters being intermittently stuck in park - but no one posts the solution!

Anyway, I've been experiencing this for a while now - to temporarily resolve the issue I typically stick a pen in the manual override hole, which works fine.

However, I'd like to find the root cause of the issue and fix it. If anyone has had this issue and resolved it, please let me know.

Thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have also experienced this. Fluid level fine, no codes found, brake lights work when trying to shift out of park.

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
park neutral safety switch its up under the car it tells the computer what gear you are in and they break occasionally on many cars, cheap and easy enough to fix

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's the brake light switch, a blue plastic device that installs above your brake pedal. It's like $15 on amazon and you can install it yourself easily. Crawl under your dash with a flashlight and you'll see it. This switch lets you shift out of park and turns on your brake light. Chances are your brake light doesn't come on either.

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
It's the brake light switch, a blue plastic device that installs above your brake pedal. It's like $15 on amazon and you can install it yourself easily. Crawl under your dash with a flashlight and you'll see it. This switch lets you shift out of park and turns on your brake light. Chances are your brake light doesn't come on either.
this is also a possibility but more rare as they don't tend to break. on the mazda 3 they sit in front of the pedal instead of behind, some cars do one way some the other, which means the pedal may also have a piece of rubber like a little rubber foot off of a blender or small appliance to make contact with the switch this system actually works backwards of the one the person above describes it breaks connection with the switch when you hit the pedal closing the circuit and allowing the lights to come on, opening it again when you let off. so in this car if the brake light switch fails your brake lights should constantly be on while the ignition is on, unless it has a bad electrical connection to the plug, or internally in the switch, if the arm gets stuck or breaks it should make the brake lights be on all the time. the switches that sit behind the pedal close the circuit when the switch is pushed so same principle just applied different. here is a diagram of the brake light switch: https://www.jimellismazdaparts.com/products/Mazda/Mazda-3/SWITCH--STOP---LAMP/1831971/BN7N66490.html 67-210 in the diagram is what you would need.

the neutral switch looks like this: https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1NjlB...bitor-font-b-Neutral-b-font-Safety-Switch.jpg
you have to get under the car on the drivers side, look for the transmission cable running to the transmission and it is bolted to the transmission where the cable goes in, I believe its on the side towards the bottom near the fluid pan so very easy to get at, flashlights help

·
Registered
45 Posts
the neutral switch looks like this: https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1NjlB...bitor-font-b-Neutral-b-font-Safety-Switch.jpg
you have to get under the car on the drivers side, look for the transmission cable running to the transmission and it is bolted to the transmission where the cable goes in, I believe its on the side towards the bottom near the fluid pan so very easy to get at, flashlights help
So is this replacing the neutral switch the fix for the shifter stuck in park? I'm confused.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts