2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there all! New member here. I’ve been trying like crazy to find a shark fin antenna for my 2017 Mazda 3 isport. Anyone out there have any luck? I’ve been all over ebay and some of the sites that sell aftermarket Mazda parts. Either they are the wrong year or for the wrong model. Also, anyone have any luck with vinyl Mazda stickers for the brake calipers? Mine don’t look like they are sticking very solidly. I cleaned calipers with alcohol and treated the surface with clear coat first, according to what I read on another site. What did I do wrong?
Thanks!

·
Registered
719 Posts
What is the shark fin antenna used for, satellite radio?

My '15 didn't come with a shark fin antenna, since the antenna for the AM/FM seems to be in the rear window.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Also, anyone have any luck with vinyl Mazda stickers for the brake calipers? Mine don’t look like they are sticking very solidly. I cleaned calipers with alcohol and treated the surface with clear coat first, according to what I read on another site. What did I do wrong?
Thanks!
most likely:

1-paint was still off-gassing. installing before letting the paint cure a few days or without adequate heat cycling causes the gas from the paint to accumulate and make bubbles under the vinyl. the vinyl then stays deformed permanently once you add heat

2-cheap vinyl. calendared vinyl tries to straighten out and likes to shrink. it also has a stronger adhesive. if the vinyl is not sticky where it lifted, the clear likely lifted off the caliper so the glue is coverer in clear paint/no longer sticky.

if you did the painting and vinyl same weekend, i'd say 1
if you meticulously took your time and applied it correctly, but purchased from somewhere like amazon or ebay, i'd guess 2.

·
Registered
14 Posts
What is the shark fin antenna used for, satellite radio?

My '15 didn't come with a shark fin antenna, since the antenna for the AM/FM seems to be in the rear window.
All 2018 hatchback Touring models (USA) come with Bose + 4 months of Satellite radio, and all come with the basic antenna, so I'm assuming you don't need the shark fin for satellite.

·
Registered
14 Posts
All 2018 hatchback Touring models (USA) come with Bose + 4 months of Satellite radio, and all come with the basic antenna, so I'm assuming you don't need the shark fin for satellite.
I was wrong (and should have let this stale thread be). You can opt to get the Touring without Bose/Satellite but only if you get the automatic. That explains why I keep seeing regular antennas on hb Touring models (2018 USA). Looks like the shark fin is for satellite after all (which annoys me since I'd planned on replacing the GT's shark with a regular antenna, for cosmetic reasons).

·
Lainey
12 Posts
Found a website for the aftermarket shark fin antenna. VisualGarage.com. They custom make the antenna for your car, painting it the exact color or your car according to the color code. They will make a shark fin antenna for most makes and model cars. The shark fin antenna for my 2017 Mazda 3 is $89. I think it will be a great upgrade from the stock whip antenna.

·
Lainey
12 Posts
I only want the shark fin antenna for looks. The stock whip antenna works fine, I just don’t find it as visually pleasing as the shark fin. I don’t use satellite radio, so I don’t know if it’s necessary for safellite. I plug in my ipod and listen to my itunes library or just local FM stations, which come in great where I live. I just like the look of the shark fin antenna, so it’s purely aesthetics on my part. ��

·
CARiD
558 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
There are many options for this part. Some with and without SAT radio and integration. There is a version listed online, part #GML86693062 (last two digits indicate which color) that states that it fits Hatchback Grand Touring, Touring, and Sport. It DOES NOT have the integration, so I'm guessing it should connect right up. I purchased it on Mazda OEM parts and I'll see if it fits. If not, I'll send it back. I want the look of the fin, but IMO the OEM fin looks way better than any of the aftermarket ones I've seen online. Also you can get it color coded right from the factory and its about the same price, or a little less than many of the higher-end color-matched antenna fin "caps".

·
Registered
12 Posts
Please tell us how it goes and if successful, how you installed it.
I spoke to the dealer who said it can be done but is very fiddly and they have not done it before. Annoying as I have the SP25 which does not come with a shark fin, but the SP25 GT and Astiner do have one.
Im looking at part TK78-66-930-2P from OEM as I do have SAT radio and integration.
Issue with visualgarage is it does not come in Eternal Blue Mica 45B to match my car. Alternative is to purchase an unpainted one and get is painted by a smash repairer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey guys!

Has anyone tried the visualgarage.com shark fin with having SAT, I'm worried it'll interfere?
Also spoke to the dealer about getting a genuine one installed from Mazda OEM but was told that they won't do it as it is too fiddly of a job.
:'(

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Hey guys!

Has anyone tried the visualgarage.com shark fin with having SAT, I'm worried it'll interfere?
Also spoke to the dealer about getting a genuine one installed from Mazda OEM but was told that they won't do it as it is too fiddly of a job.
Can't believe your lazy-arsed dealership guy.:(.It's DIYable. Just follow our mod's (@mazdaspeedmyk bud, where art thou?:))roof-wrappin' thread. Look at how he removed his stubby. It's similar w/ gen3..
https://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2010-13-mazdaspeed-3-how-guides/32513-how-vinyl-roof-wrap.html

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,265 Posts
Hey guys!

The OEM ones will interface better with the radio. You just have to find a radio antenna installer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Alrighty, thank you heaps guys!

I think I've decided to just DIY it with the help of a friend.
The only other problem I now encounter is getting the actual part. Living on a giant island called Australia doesn't help. :crybaby:
Does anyone know of a way to get OEM parts to or in Australia? Thninking of using onlinemazdaparts for part no. TK78669302P but ehy only ship within the states. I dont want to really use ebay for genuine, new parts either.
Thanks!

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,265 Posts
Alrighty, thank you heaps guys!

I think I've decided to just DIY it with the help of a friend.
The only other problem I now encounter is getting the actual part. Living on a giant island called Australia doesn't help. :crybaby:
Does anyone know of a way to get OEM parts to or in Australia? Thninking of using onlinemazdaparts for part no. TK78669302P but ehy only ship within the states. I dont want to really use ebay for genuine, new parts either.
Thanks!
Mazda Swag - this vendor is active in this forum

https://www.mazdaswag.com/oem-parts/mazda-antenna-tk78669302p

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mazda Swag - this vendor is active in this forum
I did try them, but I get an error "no shipping methods available for your order"
I just tried tascaparts who will ship but charge $39 shipping!! Might be the price I have to pay for peace of mind, unless Mazda Swag reply with a better offer. :wink2:

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,265 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts