2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

My FM reception has been very flaky (Random buzzing etc) and I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Antenna after much troubleshooting and testing. I suspect it's it's a faulty component on the Antenna's circuit board that's intermittently playing up.

I removed the Antenna and looked at the board for anything obvious, however the components are miniature and don't look like anything I've had experience with in the past (changed bulging capacitors etc).

I don't really want to spend $$$ on a brand new OEM Antenna so I was wondering if anyone knows anywhere I can purchase just the circuit board(s) without the fin enclosure or second hand ones? I don't care about the color as I'll keep my original.

Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sorry I don’t have an answer for you but I was wondering the other day why my car(2016) doesn’t have the shark fin antenna. Signal is good but I prefer the shark type.
Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
249 Posts
I bought a replacement antenna because this vinyl place messed up the threading of my old one. If you want I can sell ya my old sharkfin.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry I don’t have an answer for you but I was wondering the other day why my car(2016) doesn’t have the shark fin antenna. Signal is good but I prefer the shark type.
Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your car does not have the Shark Fin because you did not get the tech package which came with the bose/xm(xm requires the 'shark fin') and a few other options.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought a replacement antenna because this vinyl place messed up the threading of my old one. If you want I can sell ya my old sharkfin.
Thanks, I may take you up om that if my fix is short lived. It started working again after i removed reinstalled etc but i won't know for sure for a couple of weeks

·
Registered
311 Posts
I don't really want to spend $$$ on a brand new OEM Antenna so I was wondering if anyone knows anywhere I can purchase just the circuit board(s) without the fin enclosure or second hand ones? I don't care about the color as I'll keep my original.

Thanks
have you tried moving to Florida? hope that helps

·
Registered
195 Posts
I am not sure if the sarkfin even does fm reception. in europe the sharkfin is for DAB (digital radio), and has an active amplifier inside, while the fm antenna seems to be in the top of the back window. am am not sure about that though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In Australia mine 2014 top package has no DAB. The Shark Fin is for FM. Over here the hatches have the fin and the sedans have the glass type for FM. Not sure about newer models. Anyway my issue seems to have been solved... Hopefully for good

·
Registered
7 Posts
There's no external antenna on my 3 week old Australian Mzd3 sedan. Reception on FM is fine and DAB is ok (it's clear but does drop out from time to time). I'm assuming it's all coming via the rear window antenna.

Makes me wonder why the hatch has the shark fin antenna at all.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't know but sedans have the glass antenna and the hatches have the centre roof one (be it Shark finn or a standard). May be it's for the 'sporty' look there's some technical reason why the hatch glass can't accommodate and antenna.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lol yeah, if it was under warranty of course I wouldn't try to repair it myself. Anyway I managed to fix it so it's all good now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts