2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 2014 sGT since new, and I just didn't take care of the leather as I should have. Now, there are two large tears in the lower passenger's seat and a lot of wear on the side of the driver's seat. Sourcing new seats from a junkyard has proven difficult, since I want the same exact black leather seats with red contrast trim.

Does anyone have experience replacing these seats? I searched the forums but didn't find anything useful. Should I be trying to replace the whole seats or just the covers? The seat seems easier, but the cover should be much cheaper. Looking for any and all insights. Thanks!

·
Registered
2013 Mazda 3 i Hatchback
222 Posts
I've replaced the leather seat bottom cover on a ford truck. Bet it's the same process on the Mazda. You take the seat out, remove the plastic trim around the bottom, separate the seat back from the bottom. Then you unclip the edge of the leather from the frame, peel it back, then cut the hog-rings that hold the center part down. You'll need hog-ring pliers and some new rings to put the new one on. None of it is hard to do, though you will cuss a bit. Took me about 2.5 hrs to do the job, but I was going slowly as a first-timer. Definitely easier to find a seat at a junkyard and just swap it out, but it will cost more, and getting seats in the right color and in good enough condition is often a challenge.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts