2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a bit of a hobbyist, and like building things (and taking them apart). My current summer project is going to be to do a full HID retrofit for my iGT with a headlight style like the sGT. I have a couple of questions though. I've never done a retrofit like this before, but after watching a number of videos, I feel confident I can do it. The questions have more to do with the headlamp assembly itself.

• There's only a single bulb for a headlight in the sGT? The iGT also has a DRL bulb.
  • If I decide to use the same headlamp assembly, do you think I could just take out the DRL, remove the silver reflector, and use an LED strip + halo for a DRL?
  • If I decide to get an sGT headlamp assembly (not the easiest thing to find so far), does anyone have any salvage yard suggestions?

·
Registered
249 Posts
yes SGT has bixenon and DRL is kind like LED angel eyes
it's going to be a while before anyone crashes their SGT and showing up at salvage yard.
the car is less than 1 year old.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Might be quite a wait to find a pair, undamaged, from a salvage yard. The value of the car is still high enough that unless it's been almost completely demolished, which would most likely include the headlights, an insurance company will push for a repair job vs a totaled claim. If money's no object, but time is, you may want to consider new assembles.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I'm getting salvage quotes around $875 a piece for headlamps, which is way, way over what I'm willing to pay. So I'll probably be waiting to find some for a couple hundred for the pair.

Thanks for the responses!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Thanks. I'm getting salvage quotes around $875 a piece for headlamps, which is way, way over what I'm willing to pay. So I'll probably be waiting to find some for a couple hundred for the pair.

Thanks for the responses!
Wow. I was thinking maybe $500 a piece. Don't blame you for waiting!

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'm a bit of a hobbyist, and like building things (and taking them apart). My current summer project is going to be to do a full HID retrofit for my iGT with a headlight style like the sGT. I have a couple of questions though. I've never done a retrofit like this before, but after watching a number of videos, I feel confident I can do it. The questions have more to do with the headlamp assembly itself.

• There's only a single bulb for a headlight in the sGT? The iGT also has a DRL bulb.
  • If I decide to use the same headlamp assembly, do you think I could just take out the DRL, remove the silver reflector, and use an LED strip + halo for a DRL?
  • If I decide to get an sGT headlamp assembly (not the easiest thing to find so far), does anyone have any salvage yard suggestions?
1: Yes, the sGTs use a bixenon projector with a single D4S bulb.
2: Unless you have a good way to cover up the ugliness of the assembly behind the reflector, I'd just leave it in and paint it black if you don't want it to function. Yes, you can use a strip(as long as it's bright enough and matches your halo) and a halo as a DRL. Just need to wire them into the original DRL trigger or wire them in a way that they come on whenever you like.
3: Salvage lights are going to be tough for quite a while. Even the GenPu bixenon assemblies are still expensive used in decent enough condition.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I looked at the S line headlamps this weekend when my car was in the shop, and I think I may hold out until I start to see them in salvage yards.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts