2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I signed up for my first auto-x cross event at Sonoma raceway for July 7th. I'm throwing an invitation to anyone in the Bay Area that wants to come and drive in a non-competitive environment. SpeedSF is the track organizer and they are very relaxed with their auto-x policy. They do not even keep lap times. All you need is a helmet and a car in good working condition. It does have to pass tech inspection, of course. So far, I am the only FWD car signed up. I'll provide a link down below to register.

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/auto-x-sonoma-raceway-speedsf-com-896744

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Auto-X recap

I don't have great video from the auto-x event but my girlfriend has a vlog style video of the day. My GoPro glitched and all my video has a blue tint and it's not easy on the eyes. I'll try to post up some pictures.

My Mazda3 is set up for daily driving. Modifications that I have done include wheels, tires, Koni FSD struts, and Corksport RSB set to full stiff. The car felt great but I would definitely recommend a set of good summer tires. I am running 225/50r17 Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ and they did well but they started chunking due to the tires getting really hot. There were times where I could get the rear end to slide out but I really had to huck it into a corner for it to happen. Also, the car felt better with traction control on. Maybe it is due to my lack of skill. I hope to inspire others to go out and auto-x their 3 because it is a ton of fun!

If anyone wants to see my GoPro footage, I can upload it but like I mentioned the video color has a blue tint to it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tire Wear

I attached a couple of pictures of my Michelins and my friend's BFGoodrich sport comp2 AS tires and you can see the significant wear that auto-x caused. My tires look much better compared to the BFGs so you get what you pay for in this situation. Based on how the tires look, I would not recommend all-season tires for auto-x. I don't think they are meant to operate at such high temperatures.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts