2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
trarmstrong
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Current Car: 2011 Mazda3 2.5 GT 5-Door with 46,000 miles - 60-70% highway travel

Okay, so I just had some service done beyond the typical oil change for the first time on my car (minus new tires) does this look about right or should I have waited until 60,000 miles?

- Synthetic Oil Change
- Tire Rotation
- Multi-Point Inspection

- Fuel Injection Cleaner
- Clean Throttle Body
- Remove 60% of ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) and Replace

So, is it okay to perform a transmission fluid replacement and fuel injection cleaner so early?

When is my next major service to be done? Replace front brakes and brake fluid at 60,000?

Also, whats a good interval for synthetic oil changes?

·
Registered
209 Posts
It certainly doesn't hurt. 46k isn't a bad mileage for that service.

I'd check the brake pad life & fluid condition before replacing it. If the pads are near the wear indicator I'd just wait and do it all at once.

Synthetic OCI's depend on a few things, but generally 7,500-10k miles. Mazda factory recommends 7500mi, if you're using an oil with a good basestock & additive package, and a quality filter then you should be good to go for 10k. If you really want to see how a certain oil does with your engine, shoot off a sample to Blackstone Labs for an oil analysis.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Fuel Injection Cleaner and Throttle Body Cleaner seems wildly unnecessary even at 60k miles.....

There's nothing wrong with doing the other stuff. I'll be changing the transmission fluid in mine at 30k miles.

·
trarmstrong
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My thoughts exactly, the way they word things at dealerships make it sound like your engine is going to lock up and fall out on the road if you don't do their advised recommendations.

Regardless, they did it and well whatever now its clean...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Maintenance is always good.

I have a 2012 S GT and I can't find where in the manual it states to change automatic trans fluid or brake fluid.

·
Registered
115 Posts
You can never service an automatic too early, if you leave the fluid for a long time without changing it, it then becomes more of a risk to change it as clutch matierial builds up in the fluid and helps keep it shifting properly.. so the more frequent the better usually... I usually tell my customers every 25-30k for a basic drain and refill. I never recommend a trans flush.

The TB and fuel injector service, may have been a bit early but not by much. That service is usually done between 60-70k but its good maintnence to insure your car remains as efficent as possible.

As far as synthetic changes, when I run syn I try to stick to ~7500mi intervals... I personally don't like running any oil change that long, so I just run conventional w/ an OEM toyota filter and change myself every 3k miles. From what I've heard Mobil one is good for 7500.

On a side note, I've seen cutaways of the M1 filters and I never thought they were very good quality, lots of mess with the glue that holds them together inside. I'm sure they are decent filters, I just don't want to use one for that reason, would hate to have one come apart on my motor.... not to mention they are ~9 bucks a piece. I choose to run an OE or a motorcraft filter on my car (about $4 a filter)

Hope this helps

·
Registered
817 Posts
service..

Fuel Injection Cleaner and Throttle Body Cleaner seems wildly unnecessary even at 60k miles.....

There's nothing wrong with doing the other stuff. I'll be changing the transmission fluid in mine at 30k miles.
heres a dirty throttle body vs. clean, it affects your fuel mileage and idle. If you can put a S.R.I. on the car you can clean the throttle-body, not hard at all and will make a difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
heres a dirty throttle body vs. clean, it affects your fuel mileage and idle. If you can put a S.R.I. on the car you can clean the throttle-body, not hard at all and will make a difference.
With no indication of how many miles are on the car those pictures don't mean much.

My '04 S2000 with 112k miles on it (~20k boosted) the throttle body looks sparkling clean and I've never touched it.

Same thing with my '96 and '97 Accords (one with 187k, and one with 200k) and my '03 Pilot (180k)

I'm not saying it's a bad thing to clean it, but at 30k miles? Unless Mazdas are shit-cars it's not going to look like your picture.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts