2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have done a 60000kms service and it went fine..
My car is a 2014 Mazda 3 SP25 astina which in Australia is the top model
The Foreman mechanic noted that the rear brake pads need to be changed with around 5000k left.
I talked to him that in the all cars I have had in the past i never changed the rear pads ever ..As the front brakes do the majority of the braking.
He said that the car has VDC and with all other safety features the car is anyways using brakes here and there
Is this fair dinkum or is he pulling my carrot?

·
Super Moderator
4,430 Posts
Normal. The rear brakes on these seem to wear fast. Usually its because the calipers are known to stick. More frequent maintenance is required, and when replacing the pads everything needs to be cleaned thoroughly and greased properly.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I tend to believe the stability control explanation. I always drive with the traction turned off, or at least I press the button not sure it is 100% off but I haven't noticed it intervening and when I left it on it activated very easily and noticeably. If you feel comfortable driving with it disabled maybe try that on this set of pads and see if it makes a difference.
I have had my 2015 for 16 months and my rear brake wear is consistent with other vehicles I have owned without stability control. i.e. wearing slower than the fronts.

Edit: One thing to note, there was a TSB for rear brakes to put a rubber gasket (I forget how they described it) to prevent water and road salt/debris getting into the parking brake mechanism. Inspect your rear brakes to see if this was done.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
The reason for mazda's faster wear is partially because of above mentioned and the fact that mazda puts more emphasis on rear braking first to give a more natural feeling brake setup so the rear will squat before the front does. But the front will lockup first.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The reason for mazda's faster wear is partially because of above mentioned and the fact that mazda puts more emphasis on rear braking first to give a more natural feeling brake setup so the rear will squat before the front does. But the front will lockup first.
I have a 2016 Mazda3 iTouringand my front pads wear out faster I drive a lot of miles and do not rotate mines that way I only have to buy 2 tires at a time.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I have a 2016 Mazda3 iTouringand my front pads wear out faster I drive a lot of miles and do not rotate mines that way I only have to buy 2 tires at a time.
Then you miss out on about 200-300 bucks worth of rebates for every set of tires you get. Up to you though.

It can also have something to do with the fact that the 2.5L versions also have larger brakes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts