2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Serious build thread

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Dogbone7.3 
#1 ·
Hi! I have a 2011 Mazda 3 2.5 that injested some water and bent a rod, currently I have the engine pulled and my check book out, I've purchased a Garrett GTX 3067R and the exhaust housing that they sell fits right up to the Mazdaspeed exhaust manifold. So that's where I'm at! I'm sure I'll hear "you should have bought a speed3" and save your breath, if that's what your about to tell me then you can go.... well you know. Anyways I'm about to take the head off the block to see if I can build this block or if I have to buy another. I have plans to purchase the low compression CP pistons and Carrillo rods for my bottom end, I found super tech valve springs but can't find any sodium filled valves, also I'm looking for a good lopping cam, I was told I could use any mzr cam so maybe you guys could fill me in on that. For tuning I plan on going through dynotronics so that shouldn't be an issue, another question I have is fuel pumps, I was told I can't replace it? Garbage... I can make it work even if I have to build my own fuel cell. Well I hope that I found a wealth of knowledge in this forum! Cheers to the build!
B1perry is online now Add to B1perry's Reputation Report Post
Quote Multi-Quote Quick

#5 ·
yeah the forum does not have too many active members :(

#8 ·
Well B1perry, its interesting to build a MZR sleeper car, if i would have the money, i begin with this project, buying a used mazdaspeed complete engine, manual trans, driveshafts, fuel pump, ECM, wiring loom, Fuel pump Inst cluster if it can fit your car, FMIC with pipe and hoses kit, then taking it apart, and rebuild it to factory spec to begin with, that engine can withstand a lot hp, then upgrading the car brake system with the Speed one, then a good coilover kit, its what i love to do to my skyactiv sedan, the perfect sleeper to me, with an engine that will last a 100k miles at least.
But you have already bought several expensive things , you are planning to build a 300 -350 hp engine i think to begin with, but i don´t think the crankshaft will survive that power, even cosworth does not offer what you want to build, they offer this in typical Cosworth tradition, the Duratec/MZR range of parts and engines had been given a two letter designation; the YD all Normal/Aspiration

20001721 2.0lt Cosworth Duratec Crate Engine 205BHP
20001722 2.0lt Cosworth Duratec Crate Engine 225BHP
20001723 2.0lt Cosworth Duratec Crate Engine 255BHP
20001725 2.3lt Cosworth Duratec Crate Engine 220BHP
20001726 2.3lt Cosworth Duratec Crate Engine 250BHP
20001727 2.3lt Cosworth Duratec Crate Engine 280BHP

#10 ·
Hey Guys... yeah. I'm also on "Mazda3Forums", and it seems the most that gets done is engine swaps. It's not like my diesel forums. there's a lot of knowledge available. I'm not really sure why it's like this.

Anyway, if you're going to keep posting, I'll follow. I'm not sure if I can offer any technical advice on these engines though. I'm in the middle of rebuilding a 2010/2011 Mazda 3 2.0 L series. I'm stuck on the torque values and procedures. So I'm going to start the same thread here on this forum. Mine is just a stock build though. It's my son's car. It through a rod.

Good luck with your build. Looking forward to some updates.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.