2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2014 3 iGT sedan.

I was wondering if it's even possible to install/add-on the rain sensor for the wipers and the auto headlights (which I assume uses light sensor already built in for changing the display from night to day)

Is this even possible? Anyone tried it? I'm assuming there would be a good deal of work involved...but just curious

Thanks,

Joshua

·
Registered
75 Posts
The auto headlights n wipers use two different sensors mounted by the rearview mirror looking foward. BCM would probobly need programing and wiring added. I have em on my 16 mazda 6 gt and the auto wipers are neat but i dont think its worth the hassle to intall em. I may be wrong for all i know.

·
Registered
412 Posts
New windshield, new rain/light sensor located forward of the rearview mirror. Programming and wiring.

Not worth it. Either get a car with the feature, or learn to live without it.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Totally worthless feature to me. I always have it off since my windows nano treated :nerd:
New windshield, new rain/light sensor located forward of the rearview mirror. Programming and wiring.

Not worth it. Either get a car with the feature, or learn to live without it.
Couldn't agree more. Superfluous bells n' whistles. Simple human judgment (and flicks of switches) should be good enough to take care of things when wipers and lights are necessary.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yes, you will need a new windshield. Just got mine replaced at Safelite (12" crack).

Not sure what a standard windshield costs, but one with the rain sensing doohickey was $758 installed (I paid the $500 deductible). According to the bill, list price for the part is $891. I guess my insurance company got a good deal.

Oh, and I long ago turned the rain sensing feature off because 1) it doesn't come on when I think it should, and 2) when it does come on it goes faster than I like.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I like rain sensing wipers and they work fine on my vehicle (which admittedly, I have Rain-X on the windscreen). But then again, most of my driving years, I have had a vehicle with a rain sensor. Doesn't mean I can't live without it, just that when I drive a car without it, I spend a lot of time constantly tweaking the interval, which is slightly distracting to driving.

But that is my 2 cents.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The rain sensors are way to sensitive for my liking. The windshield barely has water on it and the wipers are going. I just turned them off and use the intermittent option. Works much better. Not remotely worth the effort of $$ to add that feature to your car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a second hand Indicator stick when I installed my foglights. The indicator was from a car with autolights and after installing it the autolight come on automatically but there is a problem. When on autolight I noticed when I was flashing my full beams they wouldn't flash. When I checked with forscan it picks up a fault when I it's the autolights are set to on, so I'm guessing they would require some sort of programming to work properly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dimple have you been able to solve this issue? I have a 2018 mazda3 without auto headlights, however I do have the automatic climate control (which has a light sensor) and I was planning on trying and change the switch to see if the auto headlight feature works.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi. I have the same problem with my Mazda CX-3 (bought in Europe). It has a sensor located on windshield and pre-wired. Thus, I’m wondering if simple stalk change can add this feature? Could you help if you’ve tried already?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi. I have the same problem with my Mazda CX-3 (bought in Europe). It has a sensor located on windshield and pre-wired. Thus, I’m wondering if simple stalk change can add this feature? Could you help if you’ve tried already?
You will need the stalks, but also will need to reprogram a few modules to allow for AHL and/or RSW. So far only the programming to enable the menu options are understood via forscan, part of the FBCM is known, and nothing about the SSU is understood and all 3 work to allow for AHL and RSW. As of right now only installing the stalks and then having the dealer enable the AHL and RSW is an option.

·
Registered
178 Posts
1) you don't need a new windshield.

2) you need a new lever/stalk on the steering column

3) you need to change a bit in the front body control module's asbuilt.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Love the auto headlight/lighting systems and the various adjustments and I never touch it, but the rain sensing wipers either are on too much with just a dribble or not enough when it rains harder. I've left the generous aspect of the wipers up to me setting the delay properly and thus far I haven't failed myself too many times.

·
Registered
9 Posts
just want share the retrofit i did on this month. Searched many forum, there is no much info.

Can it retrofit the autoheadlight/Rain Sensor function? --> yes, in my case, 2018 Mazda 3 HB already pre-install the similar sensor on rain senor location, which actually is humidity sensor only.

Can it active by Forscan by ASbuilt? --> yes, i bought the obdlink EX to make sure having better connection during coding. Using the code data/excel file on this post (Change configuration (explore different functions ASbuilt))

Will need other stalk to active? yes, i bought 1 light combination stalk and 1 rain-sensing stalk, but the new light combination stalk need to replace the small part from original one, otherwise, the turn signal won't stop after wheel return.

Existed sensor

Here is the difference between humidity sensor and auto-light/rain sensor.

Black is only humidity function (TK78-655-G0A) ; Blue version is humidity/auto-light/rain sensor (TK79-66-5G0A)

Stalk comparision

Actived Menu

1 - 20 of 27 Posts