2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checking the fluids this morning, I found black sediment in the brake fluid reservoir. Anybody else seen this is a trip to the dealer necessary?
Thanks
Tony

·
Registered
127 Posts
1) looks like it's above the screen; 2) brake fluid is not (light) straw-colored: it'd be prudent to flush it soon. If the OP has a 2019 Mazda3 - I would wonder why, so early-on, brake fluid is so dark? Unless this sediment is corroding and causing the colour change...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a 2019 with 6800 miles. I have noticed stopping distance and braking effort has increased.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Mine has the same particles. Similar amount. I don't see where it could come from except deliberately added. Something that is supposed to slowly dissolve in the brake fluid? No braking problems.

·
Rubber side down
225 Posts
Someone at the factory was grinding their morning coffee grounds over the engine bay while filling the brake fluid? I have never even seen sediment like that in much older vehicles with much darker fluid. When you loosened the cap, was there any gritty feel when un-screwing it? I wouldn't imagine so seeing as your car is so young and there doesn't appear to be much dirt around the engine bay in that picture. Show this to the dealer and tell them to fix it. That is ridiculous.

·
Registered
61 Posts
No grit, no dirt near the reservoir, everything looked clean and new. You can't see it without removing the lid, so I would have never noticed it except that I checked it after reading the original post here.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bringing it to the dealer, tomorrow will be interesting to see what they have to say.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Is there a gasket under lid which could be disintegrating?

·
Registered
25 Posts
My car is at the dealer now waiting to see what they find.
Interested to see what they say. That's not normal for a brand new car. It's concerning that you aren't the only one with this issue. I'll check my Mazda 3, but it only has 350 miles on it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was told it is normal, some BS about condensation. The same thing with the calipers clicking, that is "normal"

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was told it is normal, some BS about condensation. The same thing with the calipers clicking, that is "normal"
I really don't know what drug your dealer is on, solid in brake fluid is a non-starter in any car, let alone a new car. I would certainly take it up, another level or two, with Mazda Corp..
Thanks to you, I inspected my own brake fluid and it is clean.

·
Super Moderator
4,430 Posts
Have you looked in the reservoir since you got the car back? Did the dealer even look at it, and is that debris still in there?
Your car is nearing one year old now, and the fluid has been in there since it left the factory. Yes it will have some discoloration from condensation, thats not the real issue and the fluid is almost certainly ok. The debris in the master cylinder is a problem and needs to be addressed.
If you have a multi-meter, you can test your brake fluid easily enough. Put the negative probe on the negative battery terminal, then put the end of the positive probe into the fluid without touching the reservoir. You should get a very low reading, like .1v or so. Anything over .3v means the fluid has excessive moisture contamination.
If you don't have a multimeter, you can get a fluid tester like this for a few bucks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have you looked in the reservoir since you got the car back? Did the dealer even look at it, and is that debris still in there?
Your car is nearing one year old now, and the fluid has been in there since it left the factory. Yes it will have some discoloration from condensation, thats not the real issue and the fluid is almost certainly ok. The debris in the master cylinder is a problem and needs to be addressed.
If you have a multi-meter, you can test your brake fluid easily enough. Put the negative probe on the negative battery terminal, then put the end of the positive probe into the fluid without touching the reservoir. You should get a very low reading, like .1v or so. Anything over .3v means the fluid has excessive moisture contamination.
If you don't have a multimeter, you can get a fluid tester like this for a few bucks.
I was told since the debris is above the filter it is not an issue, I was also told it is green not black, whatever the hell that is suppose to mean

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was told since the debris is above the filter it is not an issue, I was also told it is green not black, whatever the hell that is suppose to mean
That's nonsense. If they're solid particles it's unacceptable. If they're globs of something then it may be normal but I would not accept that answer. They simply don't want to deal with it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Can you pull some of it with a pipette or turkey baster (lol) and dry out the brake fluid and try to get a better feel for what that crap is?

You need to tell them straight up that they need to flush the brake fluid and show you what the old fluid looks like. This isn't buddy-buddy, this is protecting your investment.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Can you pull some of it with a pipette or turkey baster (lol) and dry out the brake fluid and try to get a better feel for what that crap is?

You need to tell them straight up that they need to flush the brake fluid and show you what the old fluid looks like. This isn't buddy-buddy, this is protecting your investment.
They cleaned it out, so I can't pull any out, for now, I am curious to see if ti comes back.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts