2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The security indicator light is blinking in my car and it won't go off. When I start the car it disappears, but when I turn off the car, it starts blinking again. It doesn't seem to affect anything, but it shouldn't be blinking. I've even disconnected the battery and that doesn't reset it. I've also tried everything in the manual concerning pushing the unlock, etc. This seems to be a malfunction. Anyone out there with any advice? Otherwise I'm going to have to take the car in or soon I won't even be able to start it...

Reactions: resancel

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm relatively sure mine always flashes except when I'm in the car with the key. I think my 2012 did as well as does my wife's CX-5... yup just checked. Both our cars have that light flashing about once every 1 or 2 seconds.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm relatively sure mine always flashes except when I'm in the car with the key. I think my 2012 did as well as does my wife's CX-5... yup just checked. Both our cars have that light flashing about once every 1 or 2 seconds.
Mine still flashes even when I'm in the car with the key. Only when I turn the car on does it go off. Perhaps I didn't notice it before????

·
Registered
269 Posts
You should only be worried if the light stays continuously lit red. That indicates a malfunction.
It may not stop flashing till I start the car also, I usually just get in an start it.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you read the owners manual on this ?
Thank you for forcing me to re-read the manual on this. I did study the service manual. I missed the paragraph about the immobilizer system because I was just looking at the the documentation for the warning light. The flashing light indicates the immobilizer system is active and is normal behavior. For some reason, for the past three months, I hadn't noticed the blinking light. In my last few cars, there was an alarm light either on top of the dash or on the ends of the door lock buttons that flashed when the alarm was activated. I guess it's all part of learning a new brand of car. This is the first Mazda I've owned.

Reactions: pdc001 and jwok

·
Technical Director
303 Posts
Thank you for forcing me to re-read the manual on this. I did study the service manual. I missed the paragraph about the immobilizer system because I was just looking at the the documentation for the warning light. The flashing light indicates the immobilizer system is active and is normal behavior. For some reason, for the past three months, I hadn't noticed the blinking light. In my last few cars, there was an alarm light either on top of the dash or on the ends of the door lock buttons that flashed when the alarm was activated. I guess it's all part of learning a new brand of car. This is the first Mazda I've owned.
My RX8 does it too. It did weird me out the first time I noticed the RX doing it.

·
Registered
88 Posts

thank you for posting. This is my first mazda too and first time having an 'alarm system'. Glad to know it's normal!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Um, my 2012 Mazda 3 owner's manual says the light *starts* flashing when the ignition is switched from ON to ACC. It doesn't say it flashes all the time. But mine flashes all the time (when my car is off).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not sure if i should start a new thread. My issue is close to the subject of this thread. I went out to my car and the drive door had been left only partially closed for a few days. The battery was dead. I jump started the car. The time on the clock is wrong now. The Security Indicator Light is Blinking when the car is off now. Stops blinking when running. It never blinked for the last 2 years. Everything seems to work well. Should i be worried? Does something need to be reset? This thread seems to say the blinking light is normal. Not for 2 years it has not been normal for me. 2013 GS sky active.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mazda should reply!

You would think that if Mazda cared about us buyers, they would monitor this site and give us an answer from one of their technical people rather than letting the thread grow longer with all of our anectodal info.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2015 Mazda 3 IGT made in Mexico and recently it started blinking all the time that the car was not running. This includes when the doors are opened and unlocked. The manual is clear that it blinks twice per second after the car is locked for 20 seconds then the alarm is set. I've reset to the factory settings as well as my own custom settings and the results are the same. It should not start blinking the second the car is turned off, but only after the lock is engaged by the interior door lock, the keyless/FOB transmitter lock button, or the door handle optional button which mine has. My indicator doesn't blink twice per second, but once every two seconds from the time I shut off the car to the time I start the car. This was not the case the prior three years.
For the past six months I had customized the security settings to automatically lock the door when the transmitter was moved away from the car at which point it would beep to let me know it locked. This week it did not beep. The car locked, but the beep stopped and the indicator changed its behavior. That is when I tried the factory reset to no avail.
Will be taking it into the dealership next week.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts