2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2017 Mazda3 hatchback, I've discovered a second button, and I don't know what it is for. I've just looked through the owner's manual, and I found nothing about it.

If you lift the hatch and look up where the camera and open button is, from left to right is:
backup camera | hatch open button | mystery second button

That second button to the right is just a small round black rubber-covered switch, and it look like a lock request similar to the ones on the other door handles, but if that is so, then why? The center button is an unlock request and opens the hatch, so I don't know what exactly is the point of that mystery button.

If anyone can explain, or even better link to the section of the owner's manual that describes it, that would be great!!

Thanks

·
Registered
979 Posts
Assuming that you have Mazda Advanced Keyless Entry, that button is a request switch which locks/unlocks the car when pressed. Very simple and neat.

For example when you open the hatch door, the hatch door unlocks ONLY! All other doors in the car remain unlock.
It's very convenient for example when some passengers need to enter the car and you can press the request switch on the hatch door to open the car doors without reaching for your key fob or going to one of two door request switches in the front :)

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have a sedan and will have to look at this. When I get to work I pop my trunk from inside before I get out. Because of this, the car does not auto lock so once I'm done, I walk past the passenger door and press the button to lock the car.

Would be nice if I could lock from the trunk when I shut it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just tried the button with the car locked, and it did not unlock, but it did beep once, presumably to tell me that it is locked. I unlocked the car with the remote and then tried the button, and it locked the car. Ya, it's nominally useful, especially for my setup with auto lock when the car is off, doors are closed, and the key/remote leaves the car.

Thanks for the responses!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a sedan and will have to look at this. When I get to work I pop my trunk from inside before I get out. Because of this, the car does not auto lock so once I'm done, I walk past the passenger door and press the button to lock the car.

Would be nice if I could lock from the trunk when I shut it.
But after you close the trunk and all doors are closed, shouldn't it auto lock when you and your key/remote leave the car? This is how my hatchback works, but then I don't pop the hatch from inside, because we don't have that on hatchbacks (have to open the hatch from the back).

·
Registered
422 Posts
Wouldn't you know it.. .no "extra" button on the sedan. Just the release.

As for the auto lock.. the normal scenario would be to get out of the car and shut the doors. Then as you walk towards the trunk, the doors lock. Therefore you popping the truck from the back and closing it afterward, leaves the doors locked.

But I'm strange I guess. I popped the trunk from the button on the dash, then close my doors (which I guess prevents the auto lock). Then when I shut the trunk, the doors do not lock.

The worse is when I drive my other mazda (cx-5) ... I walk away and forget to lock anything because it doesn't have the auto-locks at all :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
But after you close the trunk and all doors are closed, shouldn't it auto lock when you and your key/remote leave the car? This is how my hatchback works, but then I don't pop the hatch from inside, because we don't have that on hatchbacks (have to open the hatch from the back).
You can set the car (via Infotainment screen) to remain unlocked even when you walk away. My folks own a Yukon XL and it has similar lock switch in the back pillar that's accessible once you open the lift gate. The thought is that you can get out of your car, open the lift gate, and lock the vehicle before grabbing your cargo. You don't have to use your keys again after that.

Not as useful when you have a car that locks automatically when you walk away.

·
Working Class Hero
3,563 Posts
I turned mine off. It irritated me.

Sent from a Samsung that doesn't explode.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Assuming that you have Mazda Advanced Keyless Entry, that button is a request switch which locks/unlocks the car when pressed. Very simple and neat.

For example when you open the hatch door, the hatch door unlocks ONLY! All other doors in the car remain unlock.
It's very convenient for example when some passengers need to enter the car and you can press the request switch on the hatch door to open the car doors without reaching for your key fob or going to one of two door request switches in the front :)
This does not work on my 16 Maxda 3. have been to two Mazda Agents, neither know what it does. No my mystery button does not unlock the doors when the hatch is opened and you depress it. It just bleeps away as long as it is held down. Depress when the hatch is closed and just a single beep. Finally today I was told it de-activated the interior alarm. What??? Anyway I quickly disproved this and phoned Mazda Customer Services. They too do not know what the mystery button does and have escalated it to their tech boys.
They are to phone me tomorrow.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I will go look for be right back. I have that button to wow I learned something new today, my wife 13mzd3 has that button right on the hatch do. I will start using this new button.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wouldn't you know it.. .no "extra" button on the sedan. Just the release.

As for the auto lock.. the normal scenario would be to get out of the car and shut the doors. Then as you walk towards the trunk, the doors lock. Therefore you popping the truck from the back and closing it afterward, leaves the doors locked.

But I'm strange I guess. I popped the trunk from the button on the dash, then close my doors (which I guess prevents the auto lock). Then when I shut the trunk, the doors do not lock.

The worse is when I drive my other mazda (cx-5) ... I walk away and forget to lock anything because it doesn't have the auto-locks at all :)
This morning I pop the trunk on my sedan, get out, close the door, put items in trunk, close trunk, and my fob beeps but doors were locked!! I had locked my keys in the trunk!! Roadside comes and opens the doors thinking there was an interior manual trunk release. NOPE!!!! So, I call the dealership and they tell me to call Mazda Roadside. The car has to be TOWED!!!! They're going to have to take my seats out just to get my keys!!!! WTH????!!!!!

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,255 Posts
This morning I pop the trunk on my sedan, get out, close the door, put items in trunk, close trunk, and my fob beeps but doors were locked!! I had locked my keys in the trunk!! Roadside comes and opens the doors thinking there was an interior manual trunk release. NOPE!!!! So, I call the dealership and they tell me to call Mazda Roadside. The car has to be TOWED!!!! They're going to have to take my seats out just to get my keys!!!! WTH????!!!!!
They can easy unlock the doors or unbolt the rear backrest and access the trunk

·
Registered
8 Posts
The hatch button is documented in my 2018 owner's manual (page 3-13):

"(5–door)
The request switch on the liftgate can only
be used to lock all doors and the liftgate."

·
Registered
248 Posts
The walkaway locking is unreliable whenever you have passengers, or even if you open more than one door. With the lock button on the hatch you don't need to take out your fob or walk around to the driver's door to lock the car.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I will go look for be right back. I have that button to wow I learned something new today, my wife 13mzd3 has that button right on the hatch do. I will start using this new button.

i got my new 2017 mazda gt hatch early last year February and only now have learned of this last night reading this post. Tried it this morning and it works ! Wow, a late find !!!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Thanks for the story but I hate to say it as I have mentioned multiple times here and only confirms the stories I have read as well but people still use it....Don't use the auto lock and don't lose your fob without having a plan to get yourself back into your car. Don't trust my advice but read the stories online...this issue is not exclusive to Mazda. People have gotten locked out of their cars at gas stations...the fob ends up in a location in the car, say the cup holder, where it loses communication and the car thinks you have walked away...or in your case the trunk. As mentioned, it is also very unreliable in regards to the order of which people get out of the car and who closes a door first.

Another suggestion...hide a key outside your car...then hide a fob (battery removed) in your car. Again, just as you have confirmed, many times the car will need to be towed to the dealership. If you lose the fob and can't get back in while you are on road trip, you may not find a locksmith who has the fob and equipment to program and will have to tow your car to the dealership.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Even if you forget it, don't you have 2 fobs?

My fob is always in my jacket or pants pocket....never leave it in your car.

My 2015 has the same knob and it works exactly as you described.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts