2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Personally I HATE cats lol....But I like to be different as well and not spending $400 + on a system and save some $ at the same time. My current muffler is still 100% intact as I sourced a muffler from a cx9 that got rear ended at work and cut the flange off for my setup.

Here is a link to how it sounds.

Attachments

Reactions: MrBen

·
Registered
190 Posts
exactly my plan as well, how is inside the car?
I see you got rid of the muffler, but you mention getting rid of the cat as well?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Sounds a little too ricey for my liking but it could just be the video. Sounds loud tho. Everything else is stock except you removed the muffler for straight pipe? I doubt it drones since you didn't touch anything in the middle.

·
Registered
49 Posts
kept same size piping? did you notice any perfomance loss deleting the cat? im thinking of doing a different resonator in the midpipe with a 2.5 inch tubing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
exactly my plan as well, how is inside the car?
I see you got rid of the muffler, but you mention getting rid of the cat as well?
I love it and hate it. It isn't crazy loud but being a home owner when the car cold starts its a bit loud for my liking. I leave for work at 5:30am at times and with it being my DD its a bit silly.
The car "had" a second cat. It was before the resonator. Comes like this from factory. I am actually about to reinstall the muffler tonight lol. I am thinking about buying a (magnaflow 10425) and putting it in place of the resonator. The factory resonator is about 14" case length. This magnaflow is 18.

Sounds a little too ricey for my liking but it could just be the video. Sounds loud tho. Everything else is stock except you removed the muffler for straight pipe? I doubt it drones since you didn't touch anything in the middle.
Pretty much no drone and i HATE drone. This is very tolerable on the highway. Hitting 3000 rpm you hit a certain frequency under load and is fun to hit. In the higher rpm it is very tame.

kept same size piping? did you notice any perfomance loss deleting the cat? im thinking of doing a different resonator in the midpipe with a 2.5 inch tubing.
I requested 2.5" for the muffler delete as they crush bend the pipes. The stock catback is 2.25. As i used a piece of spare pipe from a cx9 that is 2.25 to put in place of the cat. No real gains felt with deleting the cat. I think there is some gain with having no muffler.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dude, that sounds awesome, #goals lol. How much did you pay to get the pipe done where the muffler should have been.
I agree. I love it and hate it at times. I know the guy at my exhaust shop so i got a deal on it. I now have my muffler back on lol. When your DD is louder than your toy its not the best scenario lmao. I can either spend more money to get rid of the stock res and leave my muffler on or replace the res with a magnaflow and put my delete pipe back on. I can do my own stuff to an extent at work. I just cannot bend pipes so the exhaust shop came into play.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The only way to get a no-muffler car passed inspection anywhere is to know a mechanic who is willing to take the risk for you and it's just louder with no more useable power. Good idea to put something back on. I have a Borla axleback and I do leave for work at 5am without waking up the neighbours, unless I walk on it. Then it gets loud. LOL. It's too quiet on idle but has a deep sound. I had a Magnaflow catback on another car and I had to turn it off at drivethroughs to be heard but that was a shitty system with fit and finish and it riced at high RPMs. Borla just sounds better at higher RPMs. Now, the bike turns on car alarms but that's another story and toy. :)

·
Super Moderator
678 Posts
Will be honest, I don't like it. Sounds like crap, like all cat deletes. As another member said, too ricey. Reminds me of older mustangs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only way to get a no-muffler car passed inspection anywhere is to know a mechanic who is willing to take the risk for you and it's just louder with no more useable power. Good idea to put something back on. I have a Borla axleback and I do leave for work at 5am without waking up the neighbours, unless I walk on it. Then it gets loud. LOL. It's too quiet on idle but has a deep sound. I had a Magnaflow catback on another car and I had to turn it off at drivethroughs to be heard but that was a shitty system with fit and finish and it riced at high RPMs. Borla just sounds better at higher RPMs. Now, the bike turns on car alarms but that's another story and toy. :)
That's why you swap the muffler back on the week your getting an inspection for people that dont know anyone. I am a huge fan or borla in general it was just not worth the money for a NA 4 cyl car. Especially when i get bored with cars lol. When i had my speeds yes i would spend the money but sold to put the money to buy my house.

Will be honest, I don't like it. Sounds like crap, like all cat deletes. As another member said, too ricey. Reminds me of older mustangs.
With my stock muffler on still after my second cat delete i noticed no real change in sound. No rasp etc. Now with youtube and seeing only 2 people who deleted the resonator but left the cat on a stock muffler it sounds very raspy but gives it some tone but it is also a 2.0 which is a revv happy motor

1 - 12 of 12 Posts