2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Is that a road coarse turned into an autocross track? Those red and white striped walls would scare the shit out of me!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its the go-kart track at the Homestead Motor Speedway converted for AutoX. The walls are plastic but they do hurt. A Lancer ran into one during the final slalom. It collapsed and caused some fender damage and flat tire but the guy drove the car home on his street tires.

They scared the crap out of me too, I took it really slow the first lap (not in the vid). What you see in the vid is my 2nd, 3rd and 6th runs. I loved the track and look forward to running the same venue in July.

·
Continuous Party Member
563 Posts
You made great progress ! Looks like you had a blast......was that on stock rubber ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You made great progress ! Looks like you had a blast......was that on stock rubber ?
Thanks TwoWings! Yeah its stock rubber, I have been toying with the idea of buying two rims and Kumho V700's for the front.

I don't see anybody locally doing this but I figure the fronts are doing most of the work and I'm on a budget. What do you guys think about AutoX with good tires up front only?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Thanks TwoWings! Yeah its stock rubber, I have been toying with the idea of buying two rims and Kumho V700's for the front.

I don't see anybody locally doing this but I figure the fronts are doing most of the work and I'm on a budget. What do you guys think about AutoX with good tires up front only?
I would say that it wouldn't hurt, but swapping out all 4 would be better. I don't know the exact physics of it all, but the rear does matter in keeping a nice line in a curve, that is why so many people add suspension upgrades in the back of the car before the front!!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I would say that it wouldn't hurt, but swapping out all 4 would be better. I don't know the exact physics of it all, but the rear does matter in keeping a nice line in a curve, that is why so many people add suspension upgrades in the back of the car before the front!!!
on a fwd car the mods such as a sway bar are done to the rear first to reduce rear grip and change the balance of the car to more neutral and less understeer. replacing the front tires only would have the same effect by increasing the front grip. the place where it might have negative consequences is under braking, you might be more prone to locking the rear

1 - 7 of 7 Posts