2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The headrest keeps hitting me in the back of the head. To address this
1. I flipped the headrest backwards
2. Used this car neck cushion and removed just a bit of filling to make it slightly softer.

Now, there's only slight pressure on the back of my neck (the neck cushion is more compliant than the stiff headrest). Hopefully, cruising should be more comfortable. As a bonus, it's made of real perforated leather and matches my leatherette seats. It looks rather OEM in real life (unlike in my photo). I think there are other colors available too.

I'll update this thread if my opinion of them changes over time

Attachments

·
Revolution Member
556 Posts
How does the headrest keep hitting you in the back of the head? I haven't had any issues with it bumping my head.
Sometimes when my headrest gets angry I get hit too. :no:
Okay but on the serious, I think our headrests are great.
There are some cars where the headrests literally poke you in the back of the head...those are a pain/bad design.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I think the headrest on this car is perfectly fine, very comfortable as is. How tall are you? Maybe if too short it'll hit the back of the head? Back in high school, my friend's 2002 rav4's headrest sucks big time. It feels like it pushes your head forward when sitting. When he gives my friend and I a ride we would fight for the middle seat where there's no head rest lol

·
Registered
352 Posts
The headrest tilted forward is designed as a safety feature. It's meant to catch your head if you're in a rear-end collision.

It's also less bad than a lot of other cars out there... I know that feature annoys people, but it's not an arbitrary decision. It's one designed to prevent injury.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The headrest tilted forward is designed as a safety feature. It's meant to catch your head if you're in a rear-end collision.
This.

Also, most headrests aren't designed to be touching your head, but an inch or two behind it. To be safe in a rear-end collision, they have to be within a couple inches. Otherwise, your neck snaps back too far and can be injured.

·
Registered
381 Posts

It's also less bad than a lot of other cars out there... I know that feature annoys people, but it's not an arbitrary decision. It's one designed to prevent injury.
The forward design didn't work for me it hurt me. My chiropractor said the car I was riding in didn't help me out at all. My neck was the only injury I had in the rear end collision. Still to this day I have a reverse curve that was not there before. The lack of neck support and the tilt forward screwed my neck up. The only car crash in my life that I had to be taken away by ambulance. 1 roll over, 2 front end collisions all totaled cars. And the rear end collision nearly killed me and screwed my neck for life. The driver of the car I was in drove to the hospital fine. The car was still ok to drive accept the tail lights.

My Mazda 3 seat fits me well or I would not have gotten the car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Headrest

Like so many physical/health issues, if you don't personally have it, you're probably completely ignorant to it. These headrests are dangerous! Those who don't have a problem are just lucky or are accustomed to and stuck in a kyphotic (hunch back, gaylord) posture as is most or the population. Those with a healthy upright posture, myself included will experience a forced reverse curve of the cervical spine with these headrests. This can and likely will lead to slipped disks and pinched nerves. It's just that the injuries will happen in the opposite direction as a whiplash would. This is a case of the engineers going to the extreme and beyond.

Asking someone's height in these cases is not relevant. Total overall height means nothing as people can be long in the waist with short legs, or long legged with short torso. The bottom line is the ears should be directly above or slightly behind the shoulders (never in front) and the chin should never protrude forward past he chest. This applies standing, sitting or lying down. Of course if the seat back is reclined the line of the spine is also to be reclined a bit to compensate. These headrest place the head about 4" forward of where it should be. Mine are reversed which offers little whiplash protection but it's better than nothing and alleviates the chronic neck pain these headrests inflict. I'm also looking for a simple solution to this. Don't "get used to it", in my opinion this could result in serious injury if not upon impact then over time.

I hope Mazda and all auto makers eventually "get it" and realize that their overcompensation will also result in injuries and lawsuits. All they need to do is make the darn things adjustable or set the angle to be anatomically correct, like they used to be.

Disclaimer, no I'm not a doctor and this is not medical advise but my opinion on the matter.

·
Registered
574 Posts
It sounds like you might have the seat angle too far up. A car seat isn't meant to be at a 90degree angle. It should be like 100-120 degrees, so that there is just a slight angle there. That way your head is slightly off the head rest.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Yeah I guess I'm one of the lucky ones that don't experience this problem. Then again, I don't really rest my head on the headrest when I'm driving and my seat isn't straight up. Maybe mazda should do a recall.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Uhhh.... I think you're missing the point. Thea seat back is angled WAY back like 135 degrees. And again that question is not relevant. NO matter what angle you have the seat back at the headrest is attached to it at the same angle. So the crushing forward of the head and neck remains an issue regardless of how far back you recline it. To put it another way, most normal cars have the headrest nearly in parallel with the seat back. But our mazda's have the headrest nearly perpendicular to the backrest. This is the problem. If you're not feeling it, good for you. But many of us do. And we did not all suddenly become defective people. I can still drive my other car, rental cars and friends cars just fine. It's a defective design. I guess another way to describe it is it makes you hold your head at the same angle it would be at if you were walking around all day looking directly at your feet. Not an ideal posture. Anyway, if Mazda or the after market does not come out with a fix, I"m going to design and custom build one. Maybe I'll get sample run made by my contacts in China and put some up on ebay, get lemons, make lemonade...

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I have no issues whatsoever. I like the headrests.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I never had an issue, either. Honestly, I never really noticed it, until this post. China would be the best bet. Mazda won't "fix" something they don't see, or hear by a large number of owners, as a problem.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Of the 40 or so people I've had in the front seats over the last 11 months, only one complained of the headrest. For that one person, I just turned the headrest backwards. She also had the same problem in a Hyundai we own so it is not just Mazda. It was just fine for everyone else. I'm sure some people think the seats are too hard and for some they are not wide enough. I'd like a tilt adjustment. That said, the headrest is in just the right place for me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just adding my 2 cents. The headrest is angled forward slightly more than other cars I've driven. I've compensated by leaning the seat back a bit further.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I think most manufacturers design the headrest for crash protection, and not as much for resting your head while driving. That could be why it's designed the way it is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've owned my 2015 for exactly one week. I drive 90 miles round tip each day. After two days my neck and shoulders started to hurt. The last 2 days my neck is so sore and stiff I can barely move it.

I tried the seat at several different angles to no avail, I tried leaning forward slightly but it still pushed the back of my head.

This is no joke, these headrests are awful, I just turned my headrest around this morning and I can say it is better already. I can't lean my head back now obviously but I can at least sit in a normal position where my head is not be pushed forward.

I wonder if some seats are different than others? I test drove a model with the base fabric seats and didn't really notice this. I then test drove one with leather and noticed the headrest felt "in the way".
I purchased my car with the upgraded fabric thinking the headrest would be like the first one I test drove, but it is more like the leather one = uncomfortable and painful.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I've owned my 2015 for exactly one week. I drive 90 miles round tip each day. After two days my neck and shoulders started to hurt. The last 2 days my neck is so sore and stiff I can barely move it.

I tried the seat at several different angles to no avail, I tried leaning forward slightly but it still pushed the back of my head.

This is no joke, these headrests are awful, I just turned my headrest around this morning and I can say it is better already. I can't lean my head back now obviously but I can at least sit in a normal position where my head is not be pushed forward.

I wonder if some seats are different than others? I test drove a model with the base fabric seats and didn't really notice this. I then test drove one with leather and noticed the headrest felt "in the way".
I purchased my car with the upgraded fabric thinking the headrest would be like the first one I test drove, but it is more like the leather one = uncomfortable and painful.

I don't understand how the head rest can be in the way. Maybe it's different body types, neck lengths and head sizes? It just sounds like the seat back is up way too far, for the head rest to be pushing so much. I do think there's a big difference between the fabric and leather seats though. I think the fabric seats are thicker and the seat base is more flat, so you don't sink back in to them, like you do the leather. I'm not sure about the cloth seats, but I know the leather can adjust the base height/angle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The headrests, and the seats in general, are one of my favorite things about this car. In most other cars, the headrest aren't very functional for me because they are too low and too far back. If I put my head on them, I am staring at the roof. In the Mazda, my normal head position is about 1"-2" in front of the head rest. I can move my head back slightly to use the headrest and still be in a comfortable driving position. I agree though, that comfort probably depends on your body type.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts