2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 3 iTouring w/ 5k miles. Ive noticed lately that the clutch (when im letting it out during acceleration) seems to have gotten rougher feeling lately. Kinda of scratchy I guess would be the only way to describe.

Its always made that clicking even with the engine off and I have sat in quite a few new ones on the lot and they all clicked.

This scratchy/roughness just feels a little different. Anyone experience this?

Regards
Josh

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, that is def what it feels like. Its tough to tell but it feels like its gotten worse since I got the car. So much so that when im accelerating while letting up the clutch i occasionally give it too much gas (or not out fast enough on the clutch) because its that little bit of grinding/scratching throws off my timing.

That happen to you too?

·
Super Moderator
602 Posts
The gear box on the mazda is both notchy and rough. The clutch feel is terrible. I never expect great things from ford transmissions. It is defenitely not Honda trans, but I still fee like it is stout enough to handle whatever, just not the prettiest bitch on the block.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea I agree with that comment. It feels strong just not refined.
The only other manual I've owned was a 98 Accord which was an amazing car in almost all areas...especially drivetrain.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Are you all talking about the 5-speed mated up to the 2.0?

My 6-speed is very smooth as is the clutch action. It isn't Honda, BMW, or VW smooth, but it is still nice. The friction point is high on the clutch and there is quite a bit of pedal travel, but I find it very easy to drive none the less. Compared to many manual cars I've driven lately the drive train is pretty refined.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Me too - I think I experience the same thing you describe in a 2010 2.0L (6 speed), but it is a bit more pronounced than "scratchy". For me it is a bit more like a vibration during the clutch travel upwards but only when running. It seemed to develop within the first 500km for me. I drove another manual at the dealer and it had a similar feel, but far less noticable.

So far the clutch has been replaced for a far worse vibration in the clutch, but it didn't fix the "rough" feel in the pedal. Now at 3500km I am reluctantly accepting it as "normal" after having the local service center tell me they can't feel anything wrong (twice), and my wife (who drives the car far more often than me) telling me she can't feel the vibration either.

It annoys me - and I have found a few other posts in different forums describing the same or a similar feel to the clutch - but it is my only gripe about the car. Having said that I am hoping to trade before the warranty runs out because I don't want to be paying for a new gearbox down the line if that is the problem.

·
Sir
7 Posts
the clutch on my 2.5L 6-speed works great (the clutch itself). But with mine its the pedal during travel that is kind of knotty feeling, like the cable is rubbing on things as it is pressed/let out. I'm thinking it maybe the return spring being new it's working out the kinks. I have 400 miles on it so I'm going to give it a bit of time to remedy itself until I let the dealer know about it. I'm used to Toyota truck clutches which are quality and tight and this is a big change moving to a sportier feel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts