2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was in a very tight parking deck, and in a poor lapse of judgement decided to park my car in a space that was too small for it, scraping the front bumper on a concrete wall that was painted white. It was very low impact and I backed right off after it happened, so only paint damage has occurred. My question is: If I take it somewhere, how much do you think a scuff like this will cost me to get repaired? I'm not sure what refinishes like this typically cost and would like to avoid getting totally ripped off. Can I redo the paint in this spot myself? I have no experience with repainting cars, but am not sure how intense the labor would be to patch this up.

Any guidance would be really appreciated! Thanks guys...I'm pretty frustrated with myself :oops:

Here is the damage right after it occurred:
Imgur

Here is the damage after cleaning it up:
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur

·
Common Sense
182 Posts
As with anything else, shop around. A bumper (if you remove it and take it to someone) shouldn't be that much. Take it to a 'friend' and they can fix it for $150 (repaint). Take it to a pro and it will get much more expensive. I don't recommend you try to paint yourself if you have no experience. It is harder than it looks if you don't know the 'tricks'.

·
Registered
49 Posts
i agree with Texan.

i wouldn't attempt to do it if you have no experience. who knows, you might make it worse and more expensive to fix.

if anything, you can try to wax it off, and see if it's better without having to do a paint job.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Last time I was talking to my paint guy, he quoted $300 Canadian to respray the whole bumper
That doesn't seem to bad, I was expecting to see some of the $1000 price tags that often come along with car maintenance...Maybe I'll shop around and see what I can find. Was this a friend or just a shop you found?

Thanks for the replies guys!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I agree with the other guys about getting it done correctly.

One thing to try would be getting some car polish (Nu finish for example) and give the areas a buff by hand. It will remove the white transfer paint making the damaged areas less noticeable.

I had some d-bag a-hole in a white car dent a corner on my 3 a few months after I got it. I know it was a white car because it left a white streak in the dent. Rubbed some Nu finish on it and the white paint was removed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
That doesn't seem to bad, I was expecting to see some of the $1000 price tags that often come along with car maintenance...Maybe I'll shop around and see what I can find. Was this a friend or just a shop you found?

My friend's dad is a mechanic and he suggested I go to his friend's paint shop. He seemed to do a pretty good job.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Someone hit and ran my bumper and just scraped the paint. I paid 500 for a shop to do it.

·
Registered
323 Posts

Just to play devil's advocate it depends how perfect you want it. If you want it absolutely perfect then of course a complete respray is needed and a professional is probably the best choice for this.

That being said, if you want it like 90% back to normal, you could probably get it very close yourself. Grab some colour matched spray paint, tape off a big square around the area. Big enough that you've got some room around the entire scratch (don't tape just the scratch, you need to go bigger), and make sure not to go across to another panel. Since the car is basically brand new the paint should blend fairly easily, so you'd apply light coats, letting it dry 15 minutes between, and you'll focus on the scratch area and then lightly spray out to the edge of the tape (making it tapered and blended). It's really not too difficult if you take your time and make sure the paint doesn't drip. When you're done you can clay bar the area to remove any overspray. Make sure to tape off the wheel, headlight, hood, etc with newspaper to prevent overspray outside the taped area. This method will give you a 90% like new appearance for around $40-50. Just depends how much time you're willing to put into it.

Good luck OP.

·
Registered
468 Posts
After you get it fixed , you may want to check out 3M clear film protection.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts