2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I ended up scratching through the anti-glare gloss on my touchscreen to the surface and was getting some pretty annoying reflections any time their was a bright light impacting the screen. Considering how easy the glare coating is to damage and subsequent possibility of scratching, I decided to bite the bullet and getting this: Nushield - DayVue screen protector for Mazda Mazda3 2014-15. With shipping set me back $30.

Definitely worth it as I find it is easy to read even with direct sunlight on it, was hard to scratch and smudge. Only downside is you have to prep the screen prior to install which consequently requires removing the screen to work with it.

Prepping involves:
1) removing the screen
2) Using a fine polishing compound (I.E Meguiars ultra finish to remove all the anti-glare coating and polishing out any scratches. If the scratch catches on your nail, you can just minimize the depth angle on the side of the cut.
3) The protector is pretty stiff and requires a dust free environment and dust removal before you apply it. It is forgiving on the install as you can peel it back up to re-install it if you mess up the angle or get dust on the screen.
4) Note since the 2017 has a slightly different screen, the screen portion below the dash actually has a curvature away from the protector so it doesn't adhere to it. But it's not an issue as you can't see it anway.

The white stuff on the screen is just napkin lint. Forgot to clean it off before I took a picture. Those timmie's napkins are just gnarly.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks so much for the tip. I have a 2017 cx-5, I was putting 303 on my dash and a small bit got on the screen, when I wiped in down it removed some of the anti glare and left annoying 'scratch marks'. I knew what it was since I had the same problem with a pair of eyeglasses a few years back. I used super fine polish and did it all by hand with a microfiber towel. then cleaned it with stoner invisible glass wipes... Worked great! removed the anti glare and now the screen looks brand new... There is a bit more noticeable glare in the day, but not enough to really bother me... and I plan to buy a screen protector with ant-glare for it anyway.

Thanks again for the tip!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for the tip. I have a 2017 cx-5, I was putting 303 on my dash and a small bit got on the screen, when I wiped in down it removed some of the anti glare and left annoying 'scratch marks'. I knew what it was since I had the same problem with a pair of eyeglasses a few years back. I used super fine polish and did it all by hand with a microfiber towel. then cleaned it with stoner invisible glass wipes... Worked great! removed the anti glare and now the screen looks brand new... There is a bit more noticeable glare in the day, but not enough to really bother me... and I plan to buy a screen protector with ant-glare for it anyway.

No problemo. Happy it helped someone out.

·
Registered
562 Posts

Haven't used 303 in years as I have become a fan of just a damp wet cloth to clean the interior...without knowing it I guess your story is another reason why I don't use most cleaning protectants and treatments anymore. Good to know what damage 303 can cause too. Admittedly, my cars have always been parked in a garage so I don't have the sun beating down on it all day. I know the 303 directions say spray on and totally saturate (and watch for overspray), but like furniture it's usually better to spray on the towel and wipe instead.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone,

Found this old post and was hoping this is my solution. I used some glass wipes that had alcohol(didn’t know to not use it) and now my screen looks terrible. Do I need to take the screen off to apply theMeguiars ultra finish to get the anti glare out Or can I just apply it on there?

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ended up scratching through the anti-glare gloss on my touchscreen to the surface and was getting some pretty annoying reflections any time their was a bright light impacting the screen. Considering how easy the glare coating is to damage and subsequent possibility of scratching, I decided to bite the bullet and getting this: Nushield - DayVue screen protector for Mazda Mazda3 2014-15. With shipping set me back $30.

Definitely worth it as I find it is easy to read even with direct sunlight on it, was hard to scratch and smudge. Only downside is you have to prep the screen prior to install which consequently requires removing the screen to work with it.

Prepping involves:
1) removing the screen
2) Using a fine polishing compound (I.E Meguiars ultra finish to remove all the anti-glare coating and polishing out any scratches. If the scratch catches on your nail, you can just minimize the depth angle on the side of the cut.
3) The protector is pretty stiff and requires a dust free environment and dust removal before you apply it. It is forgiving on the install as you can peel it back up to re-install it if you mess up the angle or get dust on the screen.
4) Note since the 2017 has a slightly different screen, the screen portion below the dash actually has a curvature away from the protector so it doesn't adhere to it. But it's not an issue as you can't see it anway.

The white stuff on the screen is just napkin lint. Forgot to clean it off before I took a picture. Those timmie's napkins are just gnarly.
Just wanted to say a big thanks for your advice all the way from New Zealand. I have a new 2020 CX-5 and was cleaning the inside of my windshield with window cleaner, and some of the overspray got on the touchscreen. I wiped it off and to my horror the surface of the screen was all crazed and looked terrible, I was gutted as the car is only 2 weeks old. Long story short I googled and found your advice and gave it a go using Meguiar's PlastX. It worked perfectly, the screen looks fantastic and i actually think it looks better than it did before without the anti glare coating, much sharper and colorful and the glare is barely noticeable to me, so I didn't bother with the screen protector. Anyway thanks a bunch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts